Bought a harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have taken it to a harness maker to get a few more holes. They showed me the wire! i had totally missed it
default_whistling.gif

So i am happy with that
default_smile.png
They are also going to make the bridle a bit smaller and finer as its a little large atm. But now i have to decide if i want to go bitless or with a bit?

I'm no expert but I haven't heard anyone who drives recommend going bitless. Hope some knowledgeable people will chime in on this topic.

I have heard of it before, as a friend drives and has competed for many years in driving. My mare is a good spud and very responsive, so i have just been attaching the reins to the loop the bit goes on, cause its too long so the bit is falling out. Its off to get more holes in it in a week or so and i have got the lend of a straightbar bit so i will have a go but i think she will prefer no bit tbh. Its purely pleasure, she won't be showing. My foal will eventually show hopefully though

A bitless bridle works totally different than a bitted bridle. One can do a lot of damage to a horse's tender pressure points with a bitless bridle. A good fitting bit is not a torture device. It is simply a communication tool between horse and driver. If your bit is "falling out" I can hardly believe you are using that bridle. It is a mistake to take advantage of one's horse's good nature by asking her to use poorly fitting equipment--it may not be "purely pleasure" for her.

An advantage to showing is everything one can learn! It's not always about competition, it's about education, too.

I'm not using it, it was on once to see what the fit is like and it's now off to get holes in it. The only reason the bit falls out is that there needs to be another hole put in the bridle and that's why I wasn't using a bit at all. I am not averse to them but given the choice if go without if I could. But if not that's okay too.

I'm learning every day and believe me my horses welfare is paramount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back