Books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I am an avid reader. Back in the day, I read all of the Vampire series by Anne Rice. Love Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton, John Grisham -read The Innocent Man-, Robin Cook, Alice Walker -The Color Purple- etc.

Right now I'm reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Wow! I've been so on Dean Koontz for a while now that it's refreshing to read something different. It's an Oprah selection and so I heard a lot about it, but wasn't sure I was interested in a novel that takes place in the 12th century and revolves around the building of a cathedral. Plus...it's BIG. But, it is absolutely captivating; every time I put it down I can't wait to pick it up again. And I'm glad it's long as I don't want it to end.

So...what are you all reading right now?

Ooops...Edited to read "Robin" Cook, not Michael Cook -could not, for the life of me, remember his name...brain fart-.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like historical novels dated from the pioneer/settlers era...the American West and Native American. I enjoy reading about how the pioneers came and settled America with a novel influence added in.

Stephen King is my favorite author and my favorite book of his is The Stand. He's been my favorite since I was a teenager and I've got every thing from him in my bookshelf. I even have a couple copies of "My Pretty Pony" in these big book jackets like little kid books (a good find!).

I also loved The Color Purple (but been so many years since I read it), Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Crazy in Alabama... Of Dean Koontz, I really liked the Moonlight Bay Trilogy. I also loved Anne Rice's Vampire books. I've really enjoyed everything I've read from Robin Cook, Michael Palmer and Michael Crichton

I love having a good book to read, or even better, unabridged on tape or CD. I love to be read to
default_biggrin.png

"Right Now" I am listening to The Cell on CD. It's really good so far. Been doing so much studying, I haven't done a lot of reading for fun in a couple years and am loving it now!

I like just about anything from David Baldacci and Jodi Picoulti..two very different type of authors. Right now not reading anything though...I've got some new books on the shelf I need to get to work on.

I read mostly non-fiction but when I need a break lately it's been Tom Clancy and Terry Brooks for me.

I have always been interested in our Civil War and have a sizeable collection of Civil War books, many first addition signed by the author.

As some of you will remember I made a cross country trip last fall. A part of my route took me through the Shannadoah Valley of Virginia, rich in Civil War history, and a stop at the Hermatige in Nashville. Needless to say, I picked up some more bookes to read.

I am currently ready "The Road to Disunion - Seccessionist at Bay 1776-1854," by William W. Freehling. Although I met Bill years ago I have known his wife better over the years. It is a 620 page book of small print so it will take me a while to read it the way I am going.

I have always felt that schools are teaching the cause of the Civil War wrong OR people are remembering the wrong reason. This book explains the reason in a long winded way. The bad news is I'm told Bill wrote a followu p book several years ago.

I'm reading Pillars too, just early on in the book, sure is good so far.

I love anything by J.A. Jance, and Janet Evanovich. Janet is so funny, her Stepahnie Plum books are wonderful, laugh out loud books.

Jacqueline Carey's novels...

Kushiel's Dart

Kushiel's Chosen

Kushiel's Scion

Kushiel's Justice

And she has a new one coming out this summer!
default_aktion033.gif

If you like Anne Rice, etc, I would wager you'd really enjoy these! Check out her website!

http://www.jacquelinecarey.com

Oh and I love Stuart Woods, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished rereading the last of my David Sedaris books. I adore everything by him but noticed his work is in high demand on PBS (paperback swap), so I'm being good and sharing. I also just finished Water for Elephants, which was great, and am in the middle of of Something Rotten, the fourth installment in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. For a while I was on a classics kick, and it's made the literary jokes in Fforde's books much more enjoyable.

I'm a Stephen King fan!!! I have a quite a few of his books! His newer one Duma Key is on my list to get!!!
default_laugh.png
I cant wait!!!!

Leya

Last week I read The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. After watching clips of it at the Academy Awards I was curious to read it. It's definately a good read.

I like the Harry Potter series. I grew up reading them (first one was published when I was 11, same age as Harry Potter :) ).

Currently I'm reading nineteen minuets. Its about a school shooting. I don't really think I like it much but, I might as well finsh what I started.

Another good one is The Kite Runner . I finshed that one last week as well (I read about 2 books a week).

I'm a die-hard fan of anything Mercedes Lackey (especially the Valdemar series with the telepathic white horses called "Companions") and like to sneak in a trashy romance novel or five when I think no one's looking.
default_whistling.gif

One author I really enjoy is Doranna Durgin. I have NEVER, and I mean never, found another author who understands a horse as well as she does. Her "Changespell" series is about a mare who becomes human when she is magically transported to our world with her rider and I can't find a single moment that isn't absolutely completely believable for someone who grew up reading horse body language better than human. She's amazing. Her plot lines are solid, her characters multi-dimensional and real, and her ideas fresh. She's awfully good with writing dogs, too! Try "A Feral Darkness," featuring Corgis, time travel, and old gods in America!

Leia

Romance- Mystery!

I like anything by Tami Hoag, Lori Foster, Sheryl Woods, Cait London, Linda Palmer .(Long Tall Texans)

Carly Phillips, and Elizabeth Lowell...

I love any books about Texas, cowboys , horses, romance!

I did just read The Valerie Bertinelli auto- it was a great read! I will say she talks ALOT about Van Halen,and what was going on in her life when certain songs came out, so if you know nothing about Van Halen you might get lost...

Also just read Belly Laughs and Baby Laughs by Jenny McCarthey- they were a hoot- I never laughed so hard as when I was reading those!

Romance- Mystery!

I like anything by Tami Hoag, Lori Foster, Sheryl Woods, Cait London, Linda Palmer .(Long Tall Texans)

Carly Phillips, and Elizabeth Lowell...

I love any books about Texas, cowboys , horses, romance!
I just recently read a few of Linda Palmer's Long Tall Texans...and really enjoyed them!!! I picked them up at the Friends of the Library where they have a program going and I can get paperback for a quarter!!! They were fun reading!

I'm a huge fan of Iris Johansen. I have all the books that she's ever released in paperback, and I started reading them again in November. I'm currently on my 38th one...Reap the Wind (read the shorter ones, then jumped right in to the thrillers
default_wink.png
).

here's a new one for me that you might enjoy. Lee Child is the author, he wrote quite a few books about a character by the name of Jack Reacher.

i can not put them down. i'm in love with another man... and my hubby introduced me to him lol...

also just reading my first Julie Garwood called Mercy - i am going to look for more of hers as well!

my all time favs are the dragon series by Anne McAffrey (Pern) and anything by Nora Roberts...

Good topic
default_smile.png

Some of my favs ~

Watership Down

The Earth Children Series (Clan Of The Cave Bear, Valley Of The Horse, etc)

The Heavenly Horse From The Outermost West & Piper At The Gate

Harry Potter series

Spellsinger series

Good topic
default_smile.png

Some of my favs ~

Watership Down

The Earth Children Series (Clan Of The Cave Bear, Valley Of The Horse, etc)

The Heavenly Horse From The Outermost West & Piper At The Gate

Harry Potter series

Spellsinger series
Love Watership Down. I remember when I was 9 or so, the movie was on TV. I cried and cried. Had nightmares, couldn't sleep. Very traumatic for sensitive little 'ol me
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back