Blue eyed buckskin?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobie

Reaction score
So is it true?

Told by a pinto breeder you can not have a blue eyed buckskin...

Is this true or only a "big" horse thing??

Trying to figure out if my new filly is a buckskin, Perlino, or smoky black pinto!

Ummmm, not true what so ever. Unless they are referring to blue eyes caused by the double dilute gene, in which your horse would be a perlino or a cremello. However you can certain have a buckskin with blue eyes when the blue eyed are caused by a color modifier ;) just google images of blue-eyed buckskins.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOPE! I sold a buckskin colt with sky blue eyes! And he's only around 25" at a year old!

Do you have pictures?

You most certainly can have a blue eyed buckskin but the blue eyes will be related to a pinto gene, not the cream gene like a perlino.

This is true in all horses, big or mini.

Ok hope this works!!

here is a pic of her... three days old!

ZoethreedaysoldApril302012019.jpg

ZoethreedaysoldApril302012015.jpg

What color are the parents? Id say perlino, but both parents would have to be dilutes, I believe.....

Smoky cream or perlino. What color is dad?

Super nice baby too!

I'm going to guess perlino then. A double dilute for sure.

Y'ep,without testing, if I had to guess I would say perlino ( a black horse with two cream genes and agouti). The blue eyes are from being a double dilute, but just for reference buckskins can have two blue eyes
default_smile.png

That foal looks like a DD, maybe perlino. BOTH parents MUST carry cream in order to produce it.

Definitely perlino or smokey cream (most likely perlino). Lovely filly and mare by the way!

Very nice colt. I would say Perlino as well. Is the dam Sarabeaus Royal Impression? The sire is Filpowicz Just Joking Around right?

Not true. I "had" two adorable blue eyed buckskin colts from a well known breeder several years ago. One was very nice, one was pet quality. Unfortunately, they both also came in very sick and underweight. Despite quality time with my vet and $$$$ in expense, they both ultimately passed away. But, they were buckskins with blue eyes (and blazes).

The baby pictured is double dilute and most likely perlino. ADORABLE
default_wub.png
I love double dilutes and have six "pinkies" among our girls
default_yes.gif

Back