BIG horse people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Ive a friend who owns a 2005 colt born on her farm (momma came bred) with zippo pine bar, zippos sheik, two eyed jack, dodgers play boy, pebbles play boy, on cloud nine (Appaloosa), and native dancer (Thoroughbred) on his papers. The colt is a deep rich copper chestnut colour with back stockings and front socks. He is well put together flat kneed, nice neck, beautiful wide head, very nice colt. Should mature 15hh as both sire and dam are that hight. Im sorry i cant get pictures on here i know it would give you a better idea if i could. He is to be registered AQHA his sire is a dark buckskin and dam is chesnut with crome. She asked me to help her look around at a good price for him, gave permission to ask here, she bought his mom for a trail horse and doesnt know how to start a colt so wishes to sell him but isnt sure on a price. I told her with a colt like him i wouldnt be afraid to ask $2,000 for him (a little less then she bought the mare for, mare is 19 first horse for her) Your opinions on a price? I wish i had pictures sorry. Any input may help tho.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Since he is a colt ..i would say go for around $1,400 through $2,500 since it is a colt and has good blood lines. Colts usually wouldnt go hihg but the mother is broke, older, and has them blood lines as well so i would say keep it below what she payed for the mare. But thats just me.

I may be wrong ( been out of the breeding loop and things have SO changed) but I dont 'think' that if he has App in him, he can be registered AQHA?

Horses are dirt cheap around here, sickeningly so, $500 is considered 'high' for a yearling.

If you belong to any yahoo groups, there are a few , foundationquarterhorse for one, that you may pose this question on.

Pepipony said:
I may be wrong ( been out of the breeding loop and things have SO changed) but I dont 'think' that if he has App in him, he can be registered AQHA?
483010[/snapback]

That's kind of what I was thinking. If he has appy in his background then he can't be registered AQHA (AQHA only allows horses from AQHA and Jockey Club). He could possibly be registered with ApHC (appy club, I may have the abbreviation wrong) as breeding stock or whatever their solid color division is, if they still allow it.

a pretty good way to see what big horses are pricing for is to go on either equine.com or dreamhorse.com and do a "search" entering all the qualities of the horse you are trying to figure out a price for. The results will show you pics of horses, details about them, and of course, the asking prices. I've done that twice when selling big horses and both horses sold for what I wanted - which I felt was a fair price to me and was right in the current market range for the age, breed, bloodlines, training, etc.

Hi!

If the colt has any Appy blood, he CANNOT be registered with the AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association)

AQHA only accepts horses with QH or TB blood. If the TB is close enough on the pedigree the horse will get 'appendix' papers, but i believe anything 2 generations or more back on the QH will get straight AQHA papers.

but absolutely no appaloosa blood will be registered with the AQHA.

I am not on the up and up with appys (ApHC), but if they work like the APHA(American Paint Horse Association), then it is a pure color breed meaning they accept horses for registry that have Appy, QH, or TB blood. Not 100 percent on this but that is how the APHA runs so i am assuming that the ApHC is similar.

So if you get any papers on the horse they will be ApHC. \

As far as pricing goes, its hard to get a high price on a youngster. Weaners and Yearlings that are nicely put together, and have proven bloodlines, I would price between $1000-$1500.

Good Luck!

saludando.gif

Ashley

I am being coerced into putting my colt up for sale. He is 5 months old, very well put together, excellent disposition, and G-son of Docs Prescription out of Doc Bar, also Poco Tivio and Zippo Pat Bar on papers. I'm putting him on for $2000, but I don't want to sell him. He's just like Diablo the horse I lost a couple weeks ago, Doc Bar bred also. Same willingness and quiet disposition and eagerness to please. I now have it in my head that he is here to try and fill Diablo's shoes. Priced him high so hopefully he won't sell. Oh darn, guess then I'll just have to keep him..........

DocsZippinPrescription.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That horse had blood in him to die for.

I especially am fond of Two Eyed Jack, & Zippo Pine Bar.

Sounds like a colt I'd love and flashy too.

$1500. if the papers are in order.

Since he is grade (because of no papers with that Appy in there) and a colt (so no training), I would say $1,000. I live in "horse country" and if I looked and took my time, I could find a solid, not elderly, guiet grade gelding for $2,000 which is what this horse could become, with time to grow, and time and $$$ into training.

Latest posts

Back