Be careful of 'wither' measurements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefeather

Reaction score
As some of you know, I am a steward. I TRY to be as honest as possible. I personally think it would be much easier to measure at the 'top of the withers.' However, many people who have shetlands want their shetlands measured at a different location. I really don't know what to call it, but it is about 1/2 inch ABOVE the actually 'top of the withers.' This area actually dips, making the measurement vary as much as 1/2 to 1" making the shetland shorter. If the AMHR does indeed make the change to the wither, I would hope all would do the same and actually measure the top of the wither. I asked someone once where I should measure the shetland, at the top of the withers as the rule book says, or in the dip and was told to measure the dip. When I asked why, as the rulebook states the top of the withers, I was told it was just 'tradition' to measure there. Just something to keep in mind.

Pam

I think that half of the problem is that a lot of people don't actually know where the withers are, or where on the withers the horse should be measured. I did a little search and came up with the following information which was the "best" (that I could find in short time) out on the web for showing where the withers are and actually the thoracic vertebrae that make up the withers in the skeletal diagram. See page "43". http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/4h7933/$FILE/g_partsofhorse.pdf

A horse should be measured on the "tallest" vertebrae, not the tissues in front of the withers. This also shows why measuring at the withers is the most logical "true" measurement of a horse's height vs. the last hairs of the mane, which could be almost anywhere on the skeleton (and sometimes is depending on someone's clip job!
rolleyes.gif
) Truly in order to correctly measure a horse, you need to "palpate" the withers to determine where the bones are.

The spot you are speaking of is called the 'hitch'. The Hitch is where the neck ties into the withers - and allows the pony to bring up and tuck its head in as you see in most driving ponies.

Hope that helps!

ARGGGHHHHHHHHH!
default_wacko.png
Seriously? Stewards SHOULD NOT be told WHERE to measure. A steward is a steward. Measure per the rule book and do not be intimidated to measure else where. Everyone else in the horse world knows where the withers are. Why don't we?
default_no.gif

I would expect that all Stewards should know where to find the top of the withers, and be able to measure according to the rule book. No one should be telling them where/how to measure--it should go without saying that the rulebook be followed. If a handler, or show management tells the steward to measure elsewhere, that steward should surely say no, I'm sorry, the rule book specifies the point I am to measure at, and that is the point I shall be using. If they don't like it and won't go along with it they should be written up--any exhibitor that won't accept a measurement at the top of the withers doesn't show, and if show management won't accept top of the withers then the show gets written up and can lose its sanctioning. Sorry, but when the rules specify the top of the wither (or whatever the exact wording is) and then people are insisting that top of the wither actually means the dip in front of the wither--too bad, so sad. Measure to the top of the wither or you don't show.

I don't know how top of the wither can possibly mean the dip in front of the wither? As someone already said, every other breed can figure it out, why is it a problem for the small equine people???

Never heard that one before! I'm not a shetland person, but measuring there makes very little sense to me as the tissue there can actually become atrophied due to various reasons, so it's possible to "shrink" over time. Our old barn had a quarter pony with an odd build, and years of jumping with a standing martingale (or some other similar piece of tack) caused an abnormally large dip. A big horse got it too, from compensating for being ridden in a restricting saddle.

I have had quite a few ponies measured and the steward has always measured at the top. I would never dream of telling a steward where to measure except a new one years ago that asked me.

I do think that they are going to require new stewards and judges to do more training before getting their cards so maybe that will help. I have seriously had stewards over the years that were terrified of ponies and had no idea how to measure them.

I don't show or anything like that so this is my personal opinion and many may not like it ~S~

If the rules are changed which yes, they should be. Will go further into that in a moment.

So if they are changed, each steward, judge, anyone having to do any measuring should be trained to do

so and if they can't or won't do this training, they should NOT be in any position (steward etc) to measure pure and simple.

Each one should have a special card just for that purpose stating they have passed this training.

Now the rule change.

I have read many posts on many forums about this and about how mini owners want to be measured at the "last hair"

To me that is the biggest BS.

All of us keep saying a mini is a miniature horse. All other shows programs measure by the withers, be it Quarter horse, draft etc.

So lets get with the program, change the rules to make them fair for ALL who wish to show, breed etc.

I realize that many breeders programs may be in trouble, but there has got to be a way to do all of this.

Ok I will shut up now ~S~

I am not sure what the best way to do it is but I think we really need to look outside our breed when recruiting stewards.

Why can we use stewards from The American Horse Showers Association. No steward would risk losing their card over some of the crap that is allowed in this association.

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify, I DO measure at the top of the withers. That's the rule and I follow it.

Pam

I have stood as official measurer, to the withers, on many occasions.

All you have to do, in order to find the highest point of the withers on any animal. is run your hand, held rigid, across the top. it is them quite obvious, without resort to an X ray (
default_wink.png
) exactly where the highest point is.

Traditionally you measure all (all)breeds of horse and pony to the highest point of the withers.

To do anything else is just to cheat, and that is exactly what the rest of the horse world think of us!

Is this really the reputation we want?

Back