at what age would you start the ground work for driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytwoladies

Reaction score
I was wondering at what age one would start to work a mini to start ground work to drive?when to start the bridle and halter etc..

We never start before late in their 2nd year--about 2 1/2. I prefer starting late in the 3rd year and I don't even mind late in the 4th year. I say late in the year, because this is the time of year we usually take the time to start them for next year.

I usually start ground driving them at 2 and start actually driving them at 3. I never put any weight on them until they turn 3. Yearlings should be taught the basics and voice commands (walk, trot, whoa). I don't think they should be lunged though because they are still growing and it damages their legs. Every horse is different and it depends on their maturity level when they are really ready to begin driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every horse can be started in "ground work" as soon as they are weaned, if not sooner. Babies can learn to tolerate (or even enjoy) brushing, getting their feet picked, etc. Halter work can start at about the same time. Obviously, you don't want to pull hard on a foal's sensitive poll, but they can get the idea about leading, stopping, and standing. Voice commands can be introduced at that time as well. It all translates to driving training eventually. What I would NOT do is turn them out to pasture and do nothing with them until they are 2-3. I have had yearlings wear the harness (not including the bridle) in the stall. You can also "play" in their mouth so they get used to the idea of something being in there.

Yearlings can also learn "showmanship" work, such as setting up, standing, trotting off in hand, whoa, without too much work on circles. When older, they move into longeing fairly easily, because it is just the same stuff only in a circle. You can introduce the long lines on the halter with the rest of the harness, too. Bits get introduced when their mouths mature, and not before wolf teeth are checked out. You don't want the first bitting experience to be annoying with bumping wolf teeth. I tend to use a mullen mouth snaffle, as there isn't much for them to "play" with then and they learn to hold it better. As I see more about what their preferences are, I might switch bits later on.

As far as actual line driving, again, that depends on the condition/maturity of the horse's mouth, but probably around 2-3. You need to keep monitoring the teeth in the process. It also depends on the maturity of their minds.

I would not put the horse to a cart until their 3rd year, and it doesn't hurt to wait longer if you intend for the horse to be sound and viable for 20+ years.

I have one gelding that I shall start work with soon, at two and a half, then a filly the same age I shall do nothing with apart from manners training (ongoing) for at least another year. Then I have a rising four year old gelding who is just ready to start doing some work and a rising five year old mare whose training was halted by pregnancy who will do some serious training now. It depends on their maturity of mind as much as, sometimes more than, their maturity of body, I find. The thing about starting later is that you can push on through to actually going in the cart if everything is going OK, whereas, the younger you start the longer they have to be "laid off" before you can actually work them in a cart. I would not actually harness a horse to a cart much before they are three,and even then I consider this too young for a lot of them. It has nothing to do with physical maturity, I have seen quite a few horses have their minds blown by being overfaced.

Training begins the minute a foal hits the ground. It's all a progression. The better the progression the easier they learn. Always keep one ear on the horse, they will let you know, if your listening.

Latest posts

Back