Are they ponies?? or miniatures??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kaykay said:
As for minis being a breed.  I honestly dont know why people get so upset when you say its a height registry not a true breed registry.  This doesnt make them worthless grade ponies!! but it is the simple truth.  As long as you can hardship in any horse 34" or under its a height registry. 
Also we would all be remiss if we didnt mention audrey barrett and the arenosa ponies.  There are quite a few of double/triple (amha/amhr/aspc) registered arenosa's out there.  And there are alot of miniature horse breeders putting this bloodline into their mini herds to get the better heads, necks and movement.  I would be one of those LOL.

434969[/snapback]

Yep again just shows that it isnt a "breed" of its own if shetlands are being bred in and they are those triple reg arenosa ponies are pretty amazing
smile.gif
and if other breeds could or have been downsized they to could be in. None of that takes away from someone with a great program striving to improve the miniature horse I am not sure why it has to be a one or the other type of thing

and yes of course there were some very nice minis 10 years ago and there are still some very drafty minis today -nothing wrong with them i was just pointing out that there are plenty of minis out there even today that sure fit the bill of the look of shetland ponies we rode as kids ...

Last edited:
I don't understand the put downs either!

With the age that some of these older, lovely stallons are, all we have to do is look and see the refinement they have brought to miniature horses.

I really don't care what uneducated people call my horses but I do think it is my responsibility to educate whenever I can, the difference in Shetlands and Miniature horses. Do I have ponies? Yes. Do I have Shetlands, no. Mary

Songcatcher said:
What I can't understand is why some people who raise Miniatures seem so intent on putting them down and describing them in terms such as "squatty, fat, drafty, and beastly".  It seems they are trying to destroy the credibility of the very horses they are raising.In regards to these terms referring to the minis of a few years ago, I seem to remember some older minis named Orion, Gold Melody Boy, Buckaroo, Blue Boy, Peppy Power, and many others that are MUCH older than 10 years old and they certainly don't fit these descriptions.

434992[/snapback]

In regards to these terms referring to the minis of a few years ago, I seem to remember some older minis named Orion, Gold Melody Boy, Buckaroo, Blue Boy, Peppy Power, and many others that are MUCH older than 10 years old and they certainly don't fit these descriptions.

Lets keep in mind that Gold Melody Boy was an ASPC registered Shetland!!! See this is what i am saying!!! Therefore Buckeroo is part shetland etc etc. And i hate to be a pill but Buckeroo is spelled like that not Buckaroo
smile.gif

Rowdy has a shetland pedigree etc. We could go on and on. It still amazes me that people who breed miniatures dont realize that Gold Melody Boy was a registered shetland. I have even seen ads saying "no pony in this horses pedigree" and then later in the ad it exclaims "great grandson of Gold Melody Boy" That always gives me a good chuckle.

But now i think people are getting confused. Shetlands are a breed of pony. Pony is a generic term for a horse under a specific height.

And i do explain to people the differences. But if after i explain it---they keep saying pony i dont keep correcting them. Just dont feel the need because i am proud of all my horses wether they call them pony or miniature
wub.gif

Well said KayKay! I am concentrating on the Gold Melody Boy lines. I love the look and if anyone cares to really get into the history of GMB Nancy Houghton of Woostock North Miniatures has a heck of a historic site. When I printed it, it was 23 pages.

Latest posts

Back