Are they ponies?? or miniatures??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlh said:
I sincerely and respectfully disagree that registered American Miniatures with pedigrees going back dozens of generations are not different from any grade animal under a meter tall.I've spent a decade and a half working on toward improving and proving a breed of horse, just the same as the more foresighted breeders of Quarter horses, Thoroghbreds, Missouri Foxtrotters and Paints have done over the years - and that does include outcrossing to set desired characteristics in the breed - and I know many people who have worked at this far longer.

Yes, its a "man-made" breed, but all breeds of horses are, up to and including the Caspians and Arabians.

I feel that hardshipping to allow for these two things, 1. desirable out-crosses and 2. paperwork issues, does not disqualify our chosen breed of horse from being recognized as less of a breed that either the aforementioned breeds, or any of the other dozens (if not hundreds) of breeds of horse listed in any reference on horse breeds.

I strongly feel that to continue to call this breed, which annually registers among the top ten breeds in the country, nothing but a "height-breed" is making little of both the serious longterm breeder and all those who have given so much time and effort into promoting the breed in shows and sport, and can only lead to devaluing all our efforts.

As far as choosing to define a breed as exhibiting a given set of characteristics, we are more and more being recognized as "different" from a grade pony by even the most casual observer, and the range of phenotype within the registries, meeting the breed standard varies not much more than is seen in the genetic drift of more common breeds mentioned above. They too have trends and types come in and out of fashion as one horse type proves to excel at a show, etc.

I'm not here to flame anyone else's opinion, I just want some to understand that this is my opinion on the subject, and it is does differ from what I so often hear.

434495[/snapback]

I really agree with this

Hey Kay, I don't care if people call them ponies because most people simply don't know that there is even a registry trying to breed a ceratin size animal, and I've even been known to call mine fat on occasion. I don't particularly care for another showperson refering to anything I own as cute though
biggrin.gif
I don't mind an uneducated person saying it or even another showman saying that horse has a cute head etc. but to make a blanket statement of "oh, that's a cute horse" In otherwords, they couldn't find a strong point nice enough to compliment so they just threw something out there
no.gif
I know, it's silly and luckily I've not dealt with it much, but I've seen people do it to each other and I just cringe each time. OK so go ahead and laugh at me...we all have our quirks
laugh.gif

This is a subject that has often gotten me into trouble ... but I have to add my 2 cents anyway ...

The term "pony" has nothing to do with conformation. It is a height thing..same as "miniature" is a height thing...
A pony is ANY Equine that is under 14.2 Hands
That is it in a nutshell - It doesn't matter what breed the equine is! IF the animal in question is under 14.2 hh they are technically a Pony - if it is over 14.2 hh it is a Horse. It's that simple.

Some breeds kind of "blur" that line ... For instance, I personally know of a top Morgan Horse breeder who rode many registered Morgan's in the "Pony" division at horse shows when she was growing up! So even though the breed is officially "The Morgan Horse", individual Morgan's can be ponies by definition ... and these individuals may be called either a horse or a pony - and both terms would be correct.

We call our minis "horses" because that is part of their breed name - and because their official breed name is "The Miniature Horse" it is technically correct to call them horses ... but by general equine standards, they are also technically ponies! So ... either is correct. Why all the fuss???

I personal really dislike it when some one calls one of my minis a pony.. I feel that horses and ponies are different.. Just like zebras to donkeys.. They are all equines.. Just different types.. I feel that ponies tend to be chubby and more compact .. Some thing cute..
I don't want to jump all over you ... but that is such a stereotypical misconception! I am disabled, and that to me is like someone who says all people in wheelchairs are retarded - and I KNOW you would never say that!!!!!!!!

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where there a large, very prestigious, international ADS show is held every year. I have gotten to see a nice assortment of outstanding driving horses and ponies. So, after reading the above perception of what a pony "looks like", I looked up a few pony breeds (not including Shetlands) - just for the heck of it. Here are some pictures of just 3 PONY breeds - tell me if they look like the above definition of a "pony" ...

Welsh Pony

Kenwood's Tomahawk

ktomahawk7.jpg

Kenwood's Olivia and foal

kolivia991.jpg

- Owned by Kenwood Stud

Connemara Pony

Ard Archer

imgsta6.jpg

Lishmar Finnigans Wake

hallimg4.jpg

- Owned by Lishmar Connemara Ponys

Fell Pony

Waverhead Robbie (One of my personal favorites!)

robbie5.jpg

robbiewh2001.jpg

- Owned by Laurel Highland Farm

I WANT one of those Fell Ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I didn't offend or hurt anyone with this post!

Respectfully,

Nan

Well, I had experience recently with people coming out to look at our minis. They called them ponies and said they had a pony. Out came the pictures, the pony was a 15 hand horse. I thought to myself that is no pony. It didn't look like any of the pony breeds but a full size horse.

On the race track, the horses they use to lead the Thoroughbreds around the track people call them ponies. Sometimes people call the Thoroughbreds ponies.

The word pony is used pretty loose. I call my guys miniature horses. I don't get mad when people call the minis "ponies" but I do correct them. I want them to know my horses are "miniature" in the sense that they are not 15 hands tall ponies. We are a height breed so that is the reason they are called "miniature".

Freida

On the race track, the horses they use to lead the Thoroughbreds around the track people call them ponies.  Sometimes people call the Thoroughbreds ponies.

You are right there!!!! My lead pony is 15.3 and was a heck of a pony horse. I call him Roanie the pony and is all quarter horse.
smile.gif

I have to add one more thing, for the price of them I think they better become more then an height breed. Uggghhh I thought this was an unexpensive hobby lol!!!!!

wpsellwood said:
I have to add one more thing, for the price of them I think they better become more then an height breed.  Uggghhh I thought this was an unexpensive hobby lol!!!!!
434753[/snapback]

Who said that???
biggrin.gif

kaykay said:
midnight you are entitled to your opinion!!! No one is going to flame you.  But i think maybe you are not very familiar with what shetlands look like today.  Heres some pics of mine for reference
Patches

patchesshow-214x151.jpg

Back in Black our new aspc/amhr stallion

backblack.jpg

Star

StarrifzDM05.jpg

434208[/snapback]

yes I agree, I went to this hosre show a months or so ago and I wa talking to a miniature horse person and we was talking about how shetland ponies could look so good like the ones at the show!!

I am a person who it bugs too when my horses get called miniature ponies or ponies!! I want them to know they are miniature horses NOT ponies!! thats like calling someone the wrong name!! if its under 38 YES it a miniature but its breed might be shetland!! so that I would call a miniature shetland!! JMO! But what breed they are is what people need to know they are, if everyone thinks there all ponies its not going to do the ''miniature horse industry'' any good!

but like the others said i dont get mad(it bugs me though) I just correct them!

-Gage-

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
dtdminis said:
I personal really dislike it when some one calls one of my minis a pony.. I feel that horses and ponies are different.. Just like zebras to donkeys.. They are all equines.. Just different types.. I feel that ponies tend to be chubby and more compact .. Some thing cute..

I don't want to jump all over you ... but that is such a stereotypical misconception! I am disabled, and that to me is like someone who says all people in wheelchairs are retarded - and I KNOW you would never say that!!!!!!!!

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where there a large, very prestigious, international ADS show is held every year. I have gotten to see a nice assortment of outstanding driving horses and ponies. So, after reading the above perception of what a pony "looks like", I looked up a few pony breeds (not including Shetlands) - just for the heck of it. Here are some pictures of just 3 PONY breeds - tell me if they look like the above definition of a "pony" ...

434691[/snapback]

well i eally didn't mean they were all like that, but most are very "compact" even todays shetlands?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I agree that fell pony is GORGEOUS and it kinda looks like a freisian!!

But i also have to agree those Gypsy Vanner Horses are GORGEOUS!! They are my second favorite breed and hope to own (ONLY) one someday!! They are GORGEOUS and i LOVE there long hair, the only down part about that is they are one of the most expensice breeds out there!!

Buying a miniature horse compared to buying a gypsy, mini-$500.00 Gypsy$10000.00!! what I am saying paying $500.00 for a mini is like paying $10000.00 for a gypsy! beautifull breed but that will allways be purchased after I got everything for my minis and my mini herd that I want, THEN I will think about it but minis will allways come first for me!!

-Gage-

Gage said:
yes I agree that fell pony is GORGEOUS and it kinda looks like a freisian!!
But i also have to agree those Gypsy Vanner Horses are GORGEOUS!!  They are my second favorite breed and hope to own (ONLY) one someday!!  They are GORGEOUS and i LOVE there long hair,  the only down part about that is they are one of the most expensice breeds out there!!

Buying a miniature horse compared to buying a gypsy, mini-$500.00 Gypsy$10000.00!!  what I am saying paying $500.00 for a mini is like paying $10000.00 for a gypsy!  beautifull breed but that will allways be purchased after I got everything for my minis and my mini herd that I want, THEN I will think about it but minis will allways come first for me!!

-Gage-

434787[/snapback]

lol i know what you mean 100% ... some people save up for a vacation(sp?).. not me.. i'm saving up for a gypsy vanner.. one day.. a clyde with colour!!
wub.gif
& the temperment of a sweet mini...

BUT this is very of topic!!!! so sorry.. pm me to talk GVHs! lol
rolleyes.gif
this is a mini site & this is about minis & ponies, NOT gypsy vanners!!! lol

anyways, you have ponies or horses... what about the cobs? where do they fit in? what hight are they.. in the middle of ponies & horses.. but where?
wacko.gif

Hmm i have seen often in this thread that minis were bred to be more horse like then shetlands... HELLO have you seen some of the minis from even 4-5 years ago let alone 10 years ago... they are short compact heavy built if not drafty.. yes over the years the miniature has changed as a "type" and so have shetlands both becoming more refined among other things- I guess in the grand scheme of things you can get upset but the reality is by definition they are ponies.

And minis being a height breed doesnt in any way take away from those wonderful breeders who have made a mark and continue to do so with the Miniature horse.. but none of that changes the fact that any breed of horse could be a mini if it met the height requirements so it is a height breed.. just like a color association can be filled with horses of any breed that meet the color requirments doesnt mean the horse isnt say a pinto but .. also doesnt mean pinto is a breed
wink.gif

I have to laugh at my own hypocritical reaction to this... My first thought was 'anything under 14.2h is a pony' and 'what's the difference, really'. Then I remembered something. First off, I don't have any minis; I'm a Shetland gal. When I had one of my Shetlands (41") at the fair a few years ago, people would come up to her, oooo'ing and ahhhh'ing and say 'Oh! Look at the Mini!' and I would get a little miffed inside and HAVE to correct them. 'She's not a mini, she's a Shetland Pony', and start babbling on and on about Shetlands. (Of course then they would take two steps back, because everyone thinks Shetlands are man-eaters, LOL).

I think it's an expression of pride in one's breed of choice. 'Pony' isn't a breed, just a generic term. By height, Miniature Horses are ponies, but Miniature Horses are also their own breed. Just like Shetties are their own breed, and I'll correct and educate folks out of pride and love for my chosen breed.

Oh, and I'm another one that calls my 17 hand TB mare 'Big Pony Girl'. She doesn't mind what I call her, as long as I don't call her late to supper.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Native Shetland Ponies are always referred to as "Horses" by the Islanders, and always have been!!!

kaykay said:
It makes no difference to me at all.  You can call mine ponies, minis, mini ponies who cares??? Just dont call them stupid or fat and im happy LOL. 
434176[/snapback]

I absolutely agree with you on this. However, I do think that miniatures are an own breed in a certain way, since you're trying to improve a certain type of miniatures and try to make them distinguashable from other "breeds". It's just one of the many features required for a mini that it's supposed to be under 34" (38").

To me, it is out of the question though, that minis are a type of pony ... and that's actually not such a bad thing, is it?
biggrin.gif

Wow this has taken on a life of its own!! LOL.

First thank you capeal for your nice comments on my ponies.

Ok dont anyone flame me but im going to answer capeals questions honestly. I love my miniatures so much and you guys know how passionate i am about them. But the question is what is the difference i see in my minis vs my shetlands. My shetlands imo are much more horse looking. And much more horse ACTING. Patches is so dang smart that i have to be on my toes to stay a step ahead of her. That horse has re taught me more about being a horsewoman then any other horse i have owned. I also think the shetlands have consistently better necks, hips and movement then the miniatures but the miniatures are gaining! And honestly i see way more compact squatty looking miniatures around then i do shetlands. Also Shetland breeders are much more ruthless in gelding then we miniature breeders are. I dont think people realize what a small group the Shetland breed is. They dont have NEAR the numbers the miniatures do.

As for minis being a breed. I honestly dont know why people get so upset when you say its a height registry not a true breed registry. This doesnt make them worthless grade ponies!! but it is the simple truth. As long as you can hardship in any horse 34" or under its a height registry.

Also we would all be remiss if we didnt mention audrey barrett and the arenosa ponies. There are quite a few of double/triple (amha/amhr/aspc) registered arenosa's out there. And there are alot of miniature horse breeders putting this bloodline into their mini herds to get the better heads, necks and movement. I would be one of those LOL.

kaykay said:
Wow this has taken on a life of its own!! LOL. 
First thank you capeal for your nice comments on my ponies. 

Ok dont anyone flame me but im going to answer capeals questions honestly.  I love my miniatures so much and you guys know how passionate i am about them.  But the question is what is the difference i see in my minis vs my shetlands.  My shetlands imo are much more horse looking.  And much more horse ACTING.  Patches is so dang smart that i have to be on my toes to stay a step ahead of her.  That horse has re taught me more about being a horsewoman then any other horse i have owned.  I also think the shetlands have consistently better necks, hips and movement then the miniatures but the miniatures are gaining! And honestly i see way more compact squatty looking miniatures around then i do shetlands.  Also Shetland breeders are much more ruthless in gelding then we miniature breeders are. I dont think people realize what a small group the Shetland breed is.  They dont have NEAR the numbers the miniatures do.  As for minis being a breed.  I honestly dont know why people get so upset when you say its a height registry not a true breed registry.  This doesnt make them worthless grade ponies!! but it is the simple truth.  As long as you can hardship in any horse 34" or under its a height registry. 

Also we would all be remiss if we didnt mention audrey barrett and the arenosa ponies.  There are quite a few of double/triple (amha/amhr/aspc) registered arenosa's out there.  And there are alot of miniature horse breeders putting this bloodline into their mini herds to get the better heads, necks and movement.  I would be one of those LOL.

434969[/snapback]

I'm not trying to flame you at all... but
rolleyes.gif
" I dont think people realize what a small group the Shetland breed is. They dont have NEAR the numbers the miniatures do. " This is probably very true! But Shetlands have been around for a very long time, & every one, even non-horsie people know of Shetlands... there like TBs, arabs & QHs...

& on a different level... i don't think any one of us care if our minis are called ponies but i get upset when they are called another breed... like Shetlands... I think the Word pony is fine... but i feel we don't like our horses/ponies/mini or whatever being called any thing than what it is... does that make sence?!?
wacko.gif
...kinnda like keeperofthehorses said.. she doesn't like it when some one calls her shetland a minis.. i think it works both ways!
yes.gif
JMHO

What I can't understand is why some people who raise Miniatures seem so intent on putting them down and describing them in terms such as "squatty, fat, drafty, and beastly". It seems they are trying to destroy the credibility of the very horses they are raising.

In regards to these terms referring to the minis of a few years ago, I seem to remember some older minis named Orion, Gold Melody Boy, Buckaroo, Blue Boy, Peppy Power, and many others that are MUCH older than 10 years old and they certainly don't fit these descriptions.

OK.....guess I'll jump in & get my feet wet here, too!
laugh.gif

Miniature Horses ARE ponies....pure & simple....(as many have already said)

All small ponies should NOT be automatically referred to as "Miniature Horses". A Miniature Horse is simply a pony who has been REGISTERED in one of the Miniature Horse Registries. IMHO, an unregistered pony...no matter how small...would be considered a "small grade pony"....not a Miniature Horse. Without knowing it's background, it could come from Shetland, Miniatures, or other small equine breeds.

Latest posts

Back