Any info welcomed - my new lil girl has tetanus :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for all kind thoughts and words.

Day 4 today..... 2 steps forwards and 1 back....

She fell down early hours this morning (for the first time).

We think she may of slipped on her bedding and despite another dose of anti-toxin yesterday she still has tetanus toxins in her blood as she had seizures (stiff as board from panic).

Once picked up whe was fine, though rather stiff and sore and a few very nasty scrapes on her legs - not a pretty sight. Her eye on the side she was down on is now swollen shut from thrashing and her cheek and throat are swollen.

But on a posititve note.... she is drinking her slurry this morning (extremely watered down) but that is great that she now has tongue control again. (she stil had no tongue control yesterday)

We are still feeding her through her nasal tube to ensure she is getting all she needs (along with her drip).

Other negative sign this morning - worms in her feaces.

Vet is concerned by this as she said live worms only vacate when they think their host is no longer viable.

So I am on an emotional rollercoaster here - as is my poor lil girl fantasy
default_sad.png

Thanks Jane - but the vet suspected travel tetany - would of been good if that was the case - but her calcium levels in her bloods were fine.

I will go visit her again tonight - so hopefully some more improvements!

Once again thanks everyone for you thoguhts & prayers.

Stacy.

Edited to add: The vet suspects her infection was from her brands (she was branded 2 weeks before leaving).

Last edited by a moderator:
SO sorry to hear about your filly... and big prayers your way for her recovery...

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

so sorry to hear this... prayers for a good recovery for the little girl. so tough to offer comfort to her when you haven't bonded with her yet... hoping for better news tomorrow!

Stacy,

I'm so sorry to read this. Hope your little filly is doing lots better, today.

Hugs and prayers for you and your precious girl.

Well, I hope she continues to hang in there for you. This is so sad. Wishing you the best of luck, and thanks for keeping us updated!

This is just breaking my heart-- roller coaster is right! :eek:

I sure hope she is doing better today, keeping her in my prayers, and you need a big {{{hug}}}

Oh I feel so badly for you and your little filly
default_sad.png
I have no experience with Tetanus so nothing to offer there but prayers and those are coming for you.

As to the live worms jumping ship....I've seen that a number of times in horses with heavy parasite load and the horse had been tranquilized........makes the worms sleepy and let go or some such as that....you didn't say what kind but I've seen several different kinds show up like this.

Take care of yourself too during this time.

Charlott

p.s. I did want to thank you for giving us an indepth description of symptoms and treatment as many of us here have no experience with this and what you are telling us may save another horse some day. Thank You and Blessings

I am praying that your filly pulls through. Your posts have been so informative - especially when so many of us have not had a horse with tetanus.

Think positive thoughts - you are a wonderful owner and she deserves to live her life to the fullest.

Final update
default_sad.png

Fantasy was put to rest yesterday morning.

By afternoon day 4 she had fallen down again, there was a different vet on shift and he gave her some extra sedatives for her to have a rest (so she would lay without seizuring or struggling).

Decreased urine that afternoon.

Day 5 AM blood in urine (not much urine at all). - vet said this would be her kidneys shutting down

inability to stand even when held up.

Not quite with it. (not acknowledging anyone there).

Vet said next to shut down would be her lungs.

So we decided to put her to sleep.

Thanks for all good wishes and prayers

Stacy.
default_sad.png

Edited to add: She was still drinking day 4 PM and had received another dose of anti toxin the night before.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]I'm so sorry - sounds like you did the right thing in ending her suffering. Prayers for you and Fantasy.[/SIZE]

Barbie

Stacy I am so sorry, I did , as you know, fear this outcome and I know exactly what you have been through.

Like you my boy was fully vaccinated.

Like you we fought to the end.

God Bless, try to get some sleep now, you did all you could possibly do.

Stacy,

I am so sorry - you certainly tried your very best to save your beautiful girl. Hugs and prayers for you as you deal with your loss.

Stacy:

Sorry to hear about Fantasy...sounds like you did all you could do for her and you gave her the best gift of all - love.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Denise

Silversong Farm

I am so very sorry, we love them and sometimes lose them but it hurts so very much.

Back