Any info welcomed - my new lil girl has tetanus :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmhstacy

Reaction score
HI to everyone.

I have not been here for a very long time (my history says June 06 - wow has it really been that long?)

I am here for little bit of advice if anyone has any??

Sorry a bit of a long post - but would rather give everyone all the info - and maybe this will help someone else down the track!

I have just purchased a new little girl (shes a yearling).

She arrived 4 days ago.

When she arrived she was little stiff and tucked up but i figured, long trip (1 week) new surrundings... she will be right tomorrow. Not knowing the horse and how she reacts to situations did not help either.

Anyways 24hrs later she had lockjaw (could not open mouth more then 1cm) no tongue control and salavating. Stiff jerky movement. So off to the vets (luckily i have a good one).

Diagnosed with Tetanus (not milk fever as her bloods are fine) and her third eyelid comes over if you tap her lightly on the face (or any noise, sudden movement etc....). Stiff ears - tail held out slightly.

She was treated with 4 shots of anti toxin that morning and another 4 that night. Penicillian & sedatives (ace). Put onto a drip (constantly) and advised to give her 24 hrs to see how she responds.

So 24hrs later no deteriation (great sign) no improvement either - but hey this is tetanus!

She is getting a catheter (sp) 3 times a day as she can not pee (but her kidneys are working fine).

She is pooing - not much but also passing gas

She now has a nasal tube to feed her to ensure she does not go hyper (being a mini and all)

Day 3 in hospital today maybe a slight improvement with her movement but not sure as it was early morning when her sedatives have worn off.

So has anyone had any success stories with tetanus and can add some advice on how i can treat this poor girl?

I am having alot of trouble finding info on success stories as there are so few!

Thanks for listening and all advice welcome!

Thx Stacy.

I have no advice as I've never dealt with this. We vaccinate for it and have been, so far, lucky.

I will keep her and you in my thoughts, though, that she overcomes and can get back to full health if at all possible.

Liz M.

I'm so sorry, Stacy. Wish I could help, but like Liz we vaccinate as well and haven't seen it yet. (knock on wood).

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your filly tonight.

MA

Thanks for you thoughts and prayers.

I have just gotten back from a visit and there is a slight improvment tonight.

Her legs are a little free'er!

She is still not passing enough feaces (sp) so that is the biggest concern at the moment.

She has also had her catherter sutured in to minimise distress. (we know this opens her up for infection but it is becoming very difficult to insert all the time and she becomes to uncomfortalbe) - she is also on antibiotics so hopefully that covers.

The breeder also said she was fully vacinated.

Stacy

My only recent experience with this is not good I am afraid.

I vaccinate too but that was no help.

I lost the only animal that was vaccinated every year on the dot and was fully covered.

The only good news I can give you is that my boy was treated immediately and dead within 48 hours- they do say, and my Vet said, that if they survive the first 48 hours they have a chance.

My stallion was FULLY covered and treated within five hours of onset.

It sounds to me as if your youngster has "travel tetany" which I experienced in a foal brought in to stud- that foal recovered, if this is any help to you, it was a long road but he did make it.

I know someone with a large horse that contracted it recently. The horse was taken to the equine hospital and did recover. That was about 6 weeks ago, and can be lightly ridden now. That horse did have a slight injury.

I am so sorry for you and your new horse, and hope it all turns out well.

Sorry to haer aboth this bad experience with your new baby. I have no advice, but sounds like some others have heard of good results, so I am praying this too, will be the result in your case. Good Luck!

I've never seen a case of tetanus so your posts are informative and helpful. Sorry to hear that this has happened and prayers go out for the best recovery.

I had a filly get tetnus about 20 years ago. There was essentially not many treatment options, since it was not known to be curable. I remember giving her lots and lots of shots, and she layed in my back yard for days. Poor baby. Anyway, she survived, and ended up being one of the best trail horses ever. So, do not give up hope.

Good Luck with your baby, and let us know how she is doing.

Oh, and my filly was vaccinated well I know since I gave them. Remember, vaccines are not 100%

Any news on your little girl?? Hopefully she will get better for you soon...She is in my prayers..
default_pray.gif
:

hi, my freind just went though this with her preg. mare ( my was about 30 to 60 days from foaling.) the vet treated her with the anit toxins & something else. the mare did maek it & she had a very healthly colt. she does not know how the mare got it. ( can only guess.)

good luck. i hope she pulls though. ( i will ask her about it & then let you know. )

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: Prayers coming your way.

We hope she recovers soon.

keep us posted,

melissa

I feel so bad for you and your new little girl. I have never known of this either and find the posts encouraging, please keep us updated, I will pray she has a full recovery!

I wish I could help with some advice or knowledge. I hope for the best for your little girl, I will prayers keep her in my prayers and thoughts. Please keep us updated. Lynne

I don't have any experience with this either, but wanted to say I am keeping your little filly in my thoughts and hoping for a complete and quick recovery. Keep us posted, ok? Good luck!

Good luck with your filly... prayers and positive energy sent your way!

Denise

Silversong Farm

I dont have any experience on this either. I pray that she will make a full recovery and I will be keeping her in our thoughts and prayers. Corinne

I am so sorry ot hear of this -- hope she recovers. If she arrived sick - will the seller replace her with a healthy one??

Back