Any highschool seniors out there?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
Where are you applying for college?

I'm excited to start over, so I am applying to schools that are far away.

My list (in order of how much I want to go) is:

Purdue (Indiana), Texas A & M, Ohio State, Colorado State, and University of New Hampshire

I see your home state is your last pick...heehee...nothing wrong with that, it's good to get out and meet others and see different things...I'm far from a high school senior...but just wanted to wish you luck. What do you want to major in?

We have a good friend who graduated from Purdue about 7-8 yrs ago, the air traffic program. It is a good school. He often travels back for the big football games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be a veterinarian so its either the Pre-Vet program or Animal Science or Biomedical Science that I will be majoring in.

If I do go out of state I have to sell my horses =( my mom doesn't want to care for all of them alone. I can't blame her. Its taken about six months for me to accept this fact.

Hey Jess, don't forget to consider the University of Michigan...they have one of the best vet programs in the country!

It will be fun and exciting and you'll definately have horses again...

Have you considered looking at smaller, non-state schools?

Veterinary medicine is tough tough tough (speaking from experience!) and you must have a DEEP LOVE for biology and chemistry.. I looked into Ohio State when I started out and the first thing that turned me away from it is it is SOOOO big and I didn't feel like I could get the one-on-one help if I needed it.. Also keep in mind at a state school, you as a veterinary medicine student will have to take all your biology and chemistry courses with pre-med students, making those classes even bigger.. I went away from the big schools and am now a senior at a smaller school, yes you'll have to pay a bit more, but the one-on-one interaction you get with the professors (my biggest class has a whole 20 some people in it!), first name basis, being a small school I pretty much know all of the ag students by name and am friends with most of them, is soo worth that extra money IMO.. I'm not trying to scare you away from them, but just remember to keep your options open and take into consideration what you would be most comfortable with.. The school I'm attending has an excellent agriculture program and many of the graudates have had great success post graduation.. I'm majoring in animal science and graduating in the spring. One of my friends graduated last spring in animal science/pre-vet and is now working on Vet school.. Ohio State is an EXCELLENT school and we know their football team rocks
default_yes.gif
hehe.. Just something else to think about! Good luck in your search!

For vet schools I would definitely have to recommend Oklahoma State University (okstate.edu), love the Cowboys (mascot).

Also, although I just graduated from a different school with a different focus, Sul Roos University had a booth at the AMHA World Show and their literature on their Equine Science specific classes and just Animal Science program in general peaked my interest. I found a link for all that at http://www.sulross.edu/pages/3222.asp.

I also have a friend that either just finished or is almost finished with an equine science program at West Texas A&M University. Here's a link to the ag. degrees they offer http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/ag/programs/degrees/.

Just thought this might give you something to look at. Good Luck!

Jess you've got some good schools picked out there. I went to UNH years ago.

Make sure that your picking a school that will work for you. As mentioned some of the smaller schools can work out better for many students. At some larger schools you'll end up in classes larger than your entire graduating class. Maybe your entire high school in one class lecture. Not much chance for any one on one with faculty. If you are very out going that might be fine but if your more reserved and shy it might not.

Couple questions to ask at each school.

1) How many freshmen in Pre vet program?

2) How many typically will get excepted to a vet school out of that answer to #1

Get a real answer 10, 20, 500 or what ever maybe 5%, 10%, 15% . An answer of "a lot", "quite a few", "we don't have that availible" They will know or it is availible they just don't want you to know how low it really is.

At some schools it will be 1-2% or less.

3) Financial aid. Really important to your parents unless you are all set with a really big trust fund or have full scholarships waiting. At the end of 4 years your looking at $150,000-200,000.

I have some friends that went to Ohio state, Purdue, Virginia Tech and Colorado State and they all loved it and made those big schools work to their advantage. I also know several that bailed out of some big schools because they just felt lost.

Good luck and best wishes!

Mark

Fellow high school senior here! I sort of want to stay close to home mostly because I want to be a part of my little brothers life (he's only 3). However, I am applying to colleges as far as 9 hours away haha. I'm applying to Millersville University, Temple University, Warren Wilson College, and the University of Dayton.

My high school has 3,500 kids at it, 900 in my class.

Its crazy. I love having a lot of people around to meet so a big school is a must for me. I can't imagine myself in a small college. I want the "full college experience"

I was thinking about taking Biomedicine as a major just incase I want to be a people doctor. But I can't see myself doing anything besides medicine. I have a 3.5 GPA currently.

Financial aid? Yeah. I need that. Mom and Dad aren't paying. At all.

Becky - Awesome! What do you want to major in?

Wow thats a big school. I go to Massabesic in Waterboro Maine, and my class is like 350 and we are one of the biggest school sin the state. I'm a junior but i plan on going to U Maine Orono for pre - vet because its waaay cheaper than UNH cuz i don't live in NH. I've only herd good things baout UNH tho

Jess, It's hard to believe that you will be going off to college. I'm sorry to hear that you will be selling your horses. You have worked so hard to get them and have done a lot of training yourself. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your support!

I'm going to look into Oklahoma State, a bunch of people suggested it to me.

Diana - I have worked really hard but it is going to be hard for my mom to keep five horses when I'm not here. She may keep a couple (most likely Dusty and Zeus <-- I hope) but not all five. I do want Zeus to be shown because he can be something absolutely amazing in that ring nationally.

We'll see. I have several months still.

I will be showing this summer.

So I just got in a car accident yesterday. Everyone is okay, including the other person's Explorer. However my jeep didn't fair that well. It is missing a headlight, the bumper is sliced, and the fender somehow got pushed in so that its hard to open my door far.

So now I am carless for a few weeks and I also have to pay for the damages. However, I must remain optimistic. Whenever one door closes two open up.

Its just going to be so hard getting to work now. And all my thanksgiving plans have been squashed because now I have to drive down with my brother tomorrow instead of tonight.

Jess, I'm glad you are alright. The first snow fall gets a lot of people expecially if you haven't driven in it before. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Geez- hope your feeling better!
default_no.gif

I have already applied to Colorado State U and Alfred U, I am in the process of applying to Cornell, and still need to figure out a couple other schools (I hate choosing between them!!)

And I was just accepted into Rutgers this past weekend
default_biggrin.png

I too am giong Pre Vet (well- bio really with a prevet concentration)

Latest posts

Back