Another Grand Ol Dog passed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunQuest

Reaction score
Please help me say goodby to my mom's precious dog Brandy.

brandy.jpg

Brandy was quite the gal. She would actually talk to you and would say Hello, litterally. She alway was so glad to see us, and boy would she mouth off at us when she didn't want to come into the house. You could here it in her tones that she was speaking complete sentences and telling us that it was not right that she had to come into the house at night. It really was just like a child throwing a fit that they had to do something they didn't want to do.

The poor ol gal just over 12 which is a long life for a husky. She has been part of the farm for the whole time, and was the closest thing my dog had to a mate as my husky grew up seeing her every day when I went to the farm.

Well, she was going down hill. She couldn't walk on the hard surfaced floors as she would loose control over her rear legs and would then have a hard time getting up. So there were carpets placed all around the house making paths that would allow her to get to the doors and to her food dish. But this weekend things took a turn for the worst. She got to the point where she couldn't get up the 2 steps to the house on Friday. I told mom when I was there Friday that she was having problems and we tried to help her into the house but it frightened her. Then when I saw her trembling with the effort it took for her to control her rear legs, I told mom that if she were mine I wouldn't put her through much more if you know what I mean. Then on Sunday she had another episode of not being able to get in the house and when my mom got her in the house she acted like she wasn't comfortable and like she wasn't quite with it.

So yesterday my mom called me and told me she made the choice to help her cross. Here I am home sick with a very nasty cold and crying and wanting to go and be with my parents to help them. (Don't want dad exposed to this as he has lung issues already and doesn't need me sharing this cold with him.) I feel so bad that I said to my parents that she is suffering. I hope I wasn't the one that pushed them to this decision. I know that they were figuring she could go at any time, but still, to say what I did on Friday and have her gone now makes me so very upset. I know in my heart that it was the right time, still, it isn't easy.

It will be devistating to my dog when we go to the farm and she is not there. Worse, is my dad. He is not an animal person at all, but he is the one who taught Brandy to say Hello and he is the one who would get on his hands and knees to feed her nightly so that she would eat something as eating was not part of Brandy's plan for the past few months. But if we weren't watching, he was so loving to Brandy. You know how that goes.

Sigh, that makes 2 great dogs that graced our farm for the past 12 years gone within a couple of months of each other. It feels like it is the end of an era. Now there is only my dog left that will be playing on the farm for now as my parents don't want to get another dog until after they move as the farm is for sale. He certainly won't be so excited to be there as he will be all alone. And it will be so hard not to see Brandy bouncing around in a circle trying her best to greet us. She was always so very excited to see Glacier and I arriving.
default_sad.png

Good by you precous gal. We will miss you. And I know you are playing at the rainbow bridge with our other precious ones.

Nila --

I am so sorry about Brandy!

As for telling your mom what you did on Friday, I think you did the right thing. I know when my elderly riding horse was put to sleep this past summer, I really wanted someone to tell me if it was time. I was just caught up in trying to figure out what the right thing to do was. When my vet told me he thought it was time, it was a load off my shoulders to have an outside person help me to make the right choice. I would not be surprised if your parents don't feel the same way. It doesn't change the pain of loosing your pet, but it takes that horrible question of if you've done the right thing off your shoulders which is a huge thing.

Brandy sounds like she was a very special, old soul. Reading your post really reminded me a lot of my parents' Old English Sheepdog, Ollie, that we lost a few years ago. Just so many emotions of loving the dog (my fur brother!) and hurting so badly for my parents. I can very much empathize with how you must be feeling and I still think of Ollie every day.

Hugs,

Jill

Sorry for you and your Mom, I have a Malamute that also talks. Our Mares will actually let her in the stall with new borns but only her the rest of the dogs are banned. She is part of the family and the heard. So I understand how you feel, I would be lost without my dog.

But Nila, I'm sure your mom you said what you said because you loved Brandy so much. She knows how you feel about 4 legged loved ones and that you wouldn't just "say" that casually. I bet your mom knew it was time to let Brandy go but it must have helped her solify her own resolve to do it.

Brandy was a beauty. I'm crying because I know how much it hurts. I'm so sorry for all that loved her. She will be missed, I know. But I also know she will be watching over her home & people.

Please TELL Glacier what happened and why Brandy had to go. He will understand.

{{{{{Nila}}}}} And Hugs to your mom, dad and everyone.

I agree 100% with what Jill said. The last time I took my Bear to the vet I wasn't sure it was "time", but with one look the vet assured me that it was. As heartbroken as I was, I was also thankful for her helping me see the reality of what I'd kept telling myself wasn't so bad. Some decisions are just too hard to make without someone else's help.....even those decisions we don't want to make.

The Rainbow Bridge is surely a wonderful place. How could it be otherwise with so many of our beloved pets being there.

what an absolutely beautiful dog! there's just nothing like that husky "conversation"!

there's no question you did the right thing. obviously, she was suffering and i would rather see a dog cross the bridge before they lose all dignity. i believe it's the kindest thing and an act of love to help a beloved pet into the next world.

i'm so sorry for your loss. she is well again and playing happily.

Such a beautiful girl. I am so sad for your family. I know how hard it can be to have to make that decision, and in fact we went through the same thing with our last Boxer "Baylee", just a little over a year ago, and for the same reasons.
default_no.gif
It sure does rip your heart out.

You Dad sounds very much like my husband...tries to act tough, like he is no a dog lover, but when he thinks no one is watching....
default_wink.png

She is beautiful. I love what you write for these dogs to memorialize their lives, and pay them tribute.

It is clear that they are well-loved, and greatly missed.

It's difficult to disinvest emotion from these situations, because we want to do the right thing, but you did and your parents did, the right thing just because they love her so much.

Know that she is grateful not to have to struggle anymore. It's fairly clear that all the joy was seeping away from her, and what was left was not much more than the pain and struggle just to exist (from your description). Don't feel bad....

((hugs))

to you and your parents. I am sorry she had to go.

Liz

It sounds like she was a wonderful friend and companion. I am sorry for your loss
default_no.gif

default_no.gif
Nila...I am so very sorry for your loss. We are still grieving over our Chasey (we had to let him go because of seizures) and now our little foal born on Easter. It is so hard when they have been with you a long time but sometimes even just a short time they make such an impact on you...God Bless! ( I know Chasey is greeting her at the rainbow Bridge)
default_yes.gif

So sorry for your families loss. It is so hard but I agree you should let them go with dignity, its for the best. She was ready and sometimes our bodies just give out...

She was a Beautiful girl...

This happened to our Chow- Madison. It really stunk and I cried buckets full, but I know he was in a better place with no pain...

Nila......God bless you and your folks. They did the ultimate act of love. What a grand dog she was and STILL is. Funny, how our longtime fur-family tend to like to Cross Over together. Our's did too......

Nila, I am so sorry for your loss. The empty feeling we have inside when this happens is enormous, but you know you did the right thing.

Hugs to all of you.

Carol

Oh Nila...I'm so sorry at the loss of beautiful Brandy.
default_sad.png
I am so sad for you and your Mom and Dad and Glacier. This has got to be one of the hardest decisions in life to make...but remember when more than one person makes it, it tends to comfort a little. Maybe your Mom had it in the back of her mind, but when you verbalized it that's all she needed to know that it was ok to let go. Still I know first hand it is heartbreaking and you all will miss Brandy so very much. What a beautiful, beautiful dog she was.....you will see her again....

So Sorry, I know the void you will feel for quite some time, recently losing our Macho, that was a member of our family. It takes time, and the heartache eases but we will always remember that special friend.

What a beautiful dog in life and now she is a beautiful spirit. I am sorry that you and your family lost her. The bridge must be the most wonderful place, I think I would like to stay there a while instead of hopefully going into Heaven right away. Now the Rainbow bridge is even more beautiful because your Brandy is there waiting for all of you.

Robin

Nila, my heart goes out to you and your parents. So sad to lose another beloved critter so soon. Hugs to all of you.....Please don't feel any guilt. It was time...

I'm so sorry about Brandy. She is beautiful. It's so hard to say goodbye to our precious dogs. You did nothing wrong. Please don't feel guilty. Brandy would probably thank you for the relief if she could. She's not in pain anymore. She's running and playing with others just like when she was a pup. It's just so tough to let go. In time, your mom and dad can decide on another dog when they get settled down. Meanwhile, you all can reflect on the endless joy Brandy brought to all. Prayers are there for you all.

God bless,

Joan

So very sorry..saying goodbye to a dear ole friend is never easy but knowing they are no longer suffering is a big releif. (((((HUGS)))))

Latest posts

Back