Another Grand Ol Dog passed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please help me say goodby to my mom's precious dog Brandy.

brandy.jpg

Brandy was quite the gal. She would actually talk to you and would say Hello, litterally. She alway was so glad to see us, and boy would she mouth off at us when she didn't want to come into the house. You could here it in her tones that she was speaking complete sentences and telling us that it was not right that she had to come into the house at night. It really was just like a child throwing a fit that they had to do something they didn't want to do.

The poor ol gal just over 12 which is a long life for a husky. She has been part of the farm for the whole time, and was the closest thing my dog had to a mate as my husky grew up seeing her every day when I went to the farm.

Well, she was going down hill. She couldn't walk on the hard surfaced floors as she would loose control over her rear legs and would then have a hard time getting up. So there were carpets placed all around the house making paths that would allow her to get to the doors and to her food dish. But this weekend things took a turn for the worst. She got to the point where she couldn't get up the 2 steps to the house on Friday. I told mom when I was there Friday that she was having problems and we tried to help her into the house but it frightened her. Then when I saw her trembling with the effort it took for her to control her rear legs, I told mom that if she were mine I wouldn't put her through much more if you know what I mean. Then on Sunday she had another episode of not being able to get in the house and when my mom got her in the house she acted like she wasn't comfortable and like she wasn't quite with it.

So yesterday my mom called me and told me she made the choice to help her cross. Here I am home sick with a very nasty cold and crying and wanting to go and be with my parents to help them. (Don't want dad exposed to this as he has lung issues already and doesn't need me sharing this cold with him.) I feel so bad that I said to my parents that she is suffering. I hope I wasn't the one that pushed them to this decision. I know that they were figuring she could go at any time, but still, to say what I did on Friday and have her gone now makes me so very upset. I know in my heart that it was the right time, still, it isn't easy.

It will be devistating to my dog when we go to the farm and she is not there. Worse, is my dad. He is not an animal person at all, but he is the one who taught Brandy to say Hello and he is the one who would get on his hands and knees to feed her nightly so that she would eat something as eating was not part of Brandy's plan for the past few months. But if we weren't watching, he was so loving to Brandy. You know how that goes.

Sigh, that makes 2 great dogs that graced our farm for the past 12 years gone within a couple of months of each other. It feels like it is the end of an era. Now there is only my dog left that will be playing on the farm for now as my parents don't want to get another dog until after they move as the farm is for sale. He certainly won't be so excited to be there as he will be all alone. And it will be so hard not to see Brandy bouncing around in a circle trying her best to greet us. She was always so very excited to see Glacier and I arriving.
default_sad.png

Good by you precous gal. We will miss you. And I know you are playing at the rainbow bridge with our other precious ones.

Just want to say "THANKS" to all the well wishers. It is the hardest thing in the world to decide to let a loved pet go while they still have some dignity. It is one of the responsiblities of loving a pet and one of the hardest things to do. I tried to teach both of my girls, Nila and Ilona, that it is the right thing at time but it is really hard to take my own advice!!
default_sad.png

It definitely helps when someone else (Nila) agrees with what you know in your hart is the right thing to do. When I first saw Brandy in the pet store, I could think of a hundred reasons as to why I did NOT need another dog, (had 2 other huskys at home already) and not one reason why I should. Still there was something about her that said she should be mine, so we (my husband & me) took her home and we have never regretted it. She was really special to all of us.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and hugs. They do help.

Nila's mom, Wilma

This is hard to post as I lost my brittary Bailey the end of January. Brandy was a good dog for never having puppies of her own, she love the other pups we brought in, Bailery and then Glacier. She was also good with the horses as well. I know Nila dog Glacier is going to be heart broken to come out to the farm and not have another dog to play with and will be lonely when we play cards on Saturday night and be stuck outside by himself. I know Bailey met her when she crossed the rainbow bright. You will be miss all.

Latest posts

Back