AMHR Youth Roadster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTS@Sawmill River

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone could explain the new rule that was put in place in AMHR that says all youth must wear a helmet in Roadster. Does that mean if a youth enters an Open Roadster class, They will have to wear a helmet too? Or is it just for the Youth classes? I am just a little confused

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi Kristina, [Courtney says Hi too!] I was under the impression that all youth 18 and under should wear a helmet starting in 2007. Linda

In the December Journal, page 184.....Jeanne Bragagnini touched on this in the "Stewarts Corner" column. The helmet rule went into effect as of Jan. 1,2007

She states, "All Youth MUST wear protective headgear (Certified ASTM/SEI) in Roadster classes." "Headgear harness must be secured and properly fitted." She went on to say more info....you may want to read the column comments.

This rule change is also noted on page 180 of the December Journal in the Industry News section.

This is all I've read so far on this new rule.....possibly Rob(CLC Stables) here on the forum can offer more info? He's a stewart also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Linda( and Courtney
default_smile.png
) and Russ for your responses!!

Hopefully Rob will see this post. I would like to make sure that I am obeying all the rules and was uncertain about that one. Also, Thanks for the page reference in the journal! We just got ours so I will go read that!

Thanks!

I am a steward also. However the mail has not seen fit to give me my Journal yet. This was in last years Journal from the convention also. I have been requiring my kids to wear an ASTM helmet in roadster before this rule came out anyway. Linda B

LOL after seeing roadster classes at nationals I can completely understand 100% why this rule has gone into effect.. talk about scaring the CRAP out of me as only a SPECTATOR... i'm not at all a timid driver but even I am not sure i'd want to show roadster in classes like at nationals.. i saw sooooo many near misses it wasn't even funny it's a wonder there weren't more accidents than there were!

I also noticed in all driving classes there was a huge percentage of drivers that didn't pay attention period and almost caused some pileups because they simply didn't LOOK before they turned or whatnot. it was a little scarey to think some of these people also probably drive cars as well! LOL

Okay Russ PM'ed me and asked me to comment on this topic.

If you look in the 2006 Rulebook Supplement on page 24, Section VII, Part 12, A, Page 116

It states:

Any exhibitor may wear protective headgrear in any division or class without penalty from the judge(s). All youth MUST wear protective headgear in Roadster and Under Saddles Classes. Headgear harness must be secured and properly fitted. This rule will go into effect January 1, 2007.

So yes folks, all YOUTH ARE REQUIRED to wear protective headgear in ROADSTER and RIDING classes. Whether that is OPEN roadster or YOUTH.

Hope that helps.

Any exhibitor may wear protective headgrear in any division or class without penalty from the judge(s).
Rob, thanks for answering my question before I asked! This is smart, although I would really like it to read that adult exhibitors are ENCOURAGED to wear helmets. So many are afraid of putting themselves at any disadvantage that they'll skip wearing a helmet and risk serious injury.

(I've bought a helmet well in advance, as Mingus can trot like a bat out of you know where!)

Im not sure. But that hors ein your Avatar is Jaw Dropping
default_wub.png
:

Hi Suzanne,

The rule read "any Exhibitor" can wear protective headgear without being pentalized. Yes, it you feel more confortable in wearing your helmet in any driving class, as an adult you have that right without being put down in the scores for doing so. The Youth part came up mainly because of a youth from our Area two years ago at Congress had a horse spooked and ran, she got lodged between the seat and the front of the cart. Had she not had her helmet on she could have been seriously hurt.

We had put a blip in our show bills last year saying it was recommended but not required for 2006 but was trying to get everyone ready for 2007. The Show Steward will be watching each youth ridding and driving class for this and no youth can participate unless they have a well fitted secured helmet on this year.

Karen

I drive in roadster and have no problems, BUT I live in New England. New England is the land of the stupidest drivers of the world, and I am on the road all the time. What I have learned is defensive driving, I truly wish more people would learn to drive defensively in their cars and with teir horses, ESPECIALLY at Nationals. Roadster was easy but I was in one pleasure class and I swear the woman was in la la land when I came up on the rail! If I hadn't said rail loudly enough she would have crashed into it. LOL :new_shocked:

LOL linda.

there were some very good drivers as well.. very conciencous and LOOKED before they turned ect.. but then i just saw some who just whipped those ponies around without a care in the world as to weather someone was passing them or turning right behind them as well! but it doesn't matter HOW good of a driver you are if you surrounded by a bunch of idiots! lol hehe i'm like you, a very defensive driver even driving a car. it was kind of funny to move to the south where it seemed like EVERYTHING ran slower. they processed paper work slower, they talked slower, they drove their cars slower.

One of my classes at nationals they asked us to turn, i looked over my shoulder to see if anyone was comming and they weren't well next thing i know someone was circling and almost ready to crash into me because they weren't looking. I stopped and waited (thankfully i was watching or we'd have had a pile up).

i just found it scarey that there were so many people that didn't even pay attention to anything going on in that ring except themself.

I drive in roadster and have no problems, BUT I live in New England. New England is the land of the stupidest drivers of the world, and I am on the road all the time. What I have learned is defensive driving, I truly wish more people would learn to drive defensively in their cars and with teir horses, ESPECIALLY at Nationals. Roadster was easy but I was in one pleasure class and I swear the woman was in la la land when I came up on the rail! If I hadn't said rail loudly enough she would have crashed into it. LOL :new_shocked:

Hi Kristina!! :bgrin

I also agree that people tend to not care about safety, in Roadster particularly. At Nationals, I watched people racing around and cutting eachother off and it was crazy. No matter how much people complain, I think it's a pretty good idea. I just hope the judge(s) aren't allowed to pull you if you don't wear one.

I mean, it's kind of like wearing a helmet in a car, or a seat belt in a cart. Just extra things for safety, though not completely nessecery.

Also, (OMG!) which horse is that in your avatar???

Thank you all for your replies!!! It is all crystal clear now!
default_smile.png

New England is the land of the stupidest drivers of the world
I could not agree with you more, Linda!

Also, (OMG!) which horse is that in your avatar???
Hey Molly!

The horse in my avatar is a homebred colt by the name of SRF Ringmaster. He is by Little Kings Top Bucks and Out of Brewers Megabucks Mistress. He will be showing in Two Yr. old stallions this year.

Next time your mom comes up our way, tag along with her!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back