AMHR Stud Book

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was really uncalled for. I didn't say they were not worth - don't put words in people's mouths. I can afford to DNA my horses - I just see no value in it. But there are a lot of people for whom it would be a hardship, and your statement is a slap to those people who are struggling financially right now.

We all need to think outside of our own socio-economic circles once in a while and think about our these decisions impact everyone - rich or poor - not just ourselves.

I didn't respond directly to any one person's post, so I'm sorry you feel the need to defend yourself. However, you did respond directly to my post, and I guess you have a better feel for my wallet than I do!

I am thinking about everyone (including the horses), and I will stand by my statement. Regardless of socio-economic status, if a person can't afford $31 as a one time fee for DNA for a horse, how can that person afford to feed the horse, give it proper farrier care or veterninary care for the 30 years of its life?

I have no problem with the opinion that you don't think DNA is worth anything. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Support that argument. The whole point of my post was that using the argument that DNA is too expensive is weak. And again, just so it isn't taken out of context... if DNA is going to be implemented, it will need to be phased in because DNA'ing an entire herd of horses at one time would be a significant hit to face unexpectedly.

Personally, I do see value in DNA. I don't care if the registry requires it or not, and I don't care if they make it mandatory. But for those that don't want to see it mandatory, use an agrument other than it is too expensive if you want to make a strong case.

And really all of this is just a hypothetical discussion... there aren't any proposals to require mandatory DNA for this years convention anyway.

I didn't respond directly to any one person's post, so I'm sorry you feel the need to defend yourself. However, you did respond directly to my post, and I guess you have a better feel for my wallet than I do!

I am thinking about everyone (including the horses), and I will stand by my statement. Regardless of socio-economic status, if a person can't afford $31 as a one time fee for DNA for a horse, how can that person afford to feed the horse, give it proper farrier care or veterninary care for the 30 years of its life?
I agree! A one-time fee of thirty bucks is NOTHING in the long run of horse care! I spend more than that on a single hoof trim every six weeks.

Andrea

I wanted to give a different perspective of DNA. My daughter bought a dog - paid $800 for a Newfoundland. Why - I don't know - but that's a different story!
default_laugh.png

As the dog grew the countour of his head and the curliness of his coat made them question his background. DNA testing proved that he was only 1/2 Nefooie - and 1/2 Golden Retriever!!!

This at this point isn't viable as a breed identifications for miniatures. Maybe for Shetlands, but not sure there either, but it is great for proving parentage.

Latest posts

Back