AMHR Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sitting here completely dumbfounded by what I am reading. Asking myself, am I ACTUALLY reading this?

Our Shetland forefathers are surely rolling over in their graves, God rest their precious souls!!!
default_sad.png

PEOPLE...REMEMBER, please, OUR HERITAGE!!!! ASPC was FIRST in this now DIVERSIFIED registry of "small equines". FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!

EMBRACE where we came from, that is how it SHOULD BE!!!! (Man, am I gonna get STOMPTED IN THE GROUND here for saying that!!)

I'm sorry, but that's how I feel!
default_no.gif

I remember sitting on the couch a couple years ago, visiting with one of my most precious and dearest friends, my mentor, Mr. Howard Small. Sharing over a "then" most recent issue of "The Journal". I remember him saying, pretty much the same thing about the minis as is voiced in this thread about the Shetlands. Shetlands being his very heart and soul!!! My heart almost broke with watching his nearly break at the thought of how the Shetlands, our very HERITAGE of this breed, have been swept under the rug practically, shunned practically, IN THEIR VERY OWN REGISTRY! Nearly every page was about "minis, with barely a mentioning of actual SHETLANDS. He asked me, how can this be???? Don't folks REMEMBER ANYTHING ANYMORE????

{{{HEAVY SIGHS}}} It's the "American Way", I guess, anymore. Folks of our country "evolving" from whence they came. (Ok, please forgive my spelling, I'm a bit rattled here to worry about getting every letter of every word at the moment, OK???)

I have never personally owned a Shetland....by registry standards that is. A purebred ASPC registered AMERICAN SHETLAND! However, from the moment I first met Howard, that has always been a true heart's desire of mine though. I do, however, have their "miniature" versions, in AMHR. A registry that came about LONG after it's origin! This ASPC was founded in 1888, and the AMHR was somewhere around the 1960's, I believe. It wasn't until somewhere around the 1970's that the "miniatures" decided their own right among the AMHA, but they too EVOLVED out of the ASPC/AMHR. Whether they ever "admit" to that or not, fact is fact!!!!!!!! C'mon already!!!

That said....SHEESH!!!! We, as mini-folk, should ALWAYS be NOTHING SHORT OF IMMENSELY GRATEFUL for every last page of "air time" within the Journal. It was THEY who brought US about...if we take it to the very old and tiresome addage of "Us vs. Them". Good grief!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! WE ARE ONE!!!! WE ARE AMERICAN!!!!! And, I mean NOT JUST THROUGH OUR HORSES!!!!

Howard, we try and try...really...they just don't LISTEN anymore!!!! I'm so sorry.....
default_wacko.png
default_no.gif

Denial of our heritage... and then on top of that to also feel so above and beyond of "yesteryear"...it's just I just don't understand the WHY of it all.... {{{sighs}}}... I mean, I'm all for progress and "moving on" too, don't get me wrong, but not at the full expense of LOSS & DENIAL OF OUR HERITAGE.
default_no.gif
Something we should EMBRACE AND REVERE, not shun and feel so "above".

Ok...I'm getting a little steamed...so I better go offline for a bit and spend some time out with my minis...AMERICAN MINI SHETLANDS that is, and DARN PROUD OF IT!!!!!

Ok...those of you just itching to disect and hammer away at my every word (spelling included), have at it.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png

Meanwhile I'll be out in the barn, give me a holler when yer done. :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at any media that carries advertising -- the advertising follows the subject. Look at TV, for example. You won't find too many women's products advertised during NASCAR presenations. Or you won't find very many men's products on soap operas.

Watch the news.........it's selling cars & high ticket items, cause they get the MEN there. Sexist but true. And again, on soaps or craft-type shows, they advertise the household cleaning products - cause women buy them. It all goes with the flow.

It's a combination of advertisers and the media (whichever one it is) giving a full package to the viewer/reader. In the Journal case, it's the shetland issue, so more than an average number of shetland breeders want to be in there. And the Journal wants them in there too. And both benefit by showing the winners.

It goes hand-in-hand in any media. Doesn't the Stallion issue have more stallions advertised? That's not by coincidence, ya know? So, this month, ya got shetlands.

I've been in publishing for lots of years, and that's the way it is, even if it's denied by those who put it together. Ok -- maybe in the "hard news" pages, advertising is just random, but if a special "news" section is put out on, say, gardening, guess what the ads in that section center around?

I loved this last issue of the Journal. If you ask me, there are usually NOT ENOUGH ponies advertised!
default_wink.png

I think this topic is a very good example of what often turns good topics and sometimes, members, bad. And can very quickly give some one a bad impresion of the forum and members. There was nothing negative about the original question, she stated herself that she is new to the breed. Simply letting her know that some issues are geared towards one breed or the other due to their National shows would have answered her question. This was a good example of the questions that should be asked, and we were all given an opportunity to help this new person learn. But with these responses I would wonder what I just walked into and probably run the other way. I guess what I am saying is there is a time and place for everything. While you may have a good point or opinion on something, that a newbies innocent post isn't always the best place to voice it.

As many of you have posted this Journal is high lighting the World and Congress I know from speaking w/ different pony folks and these are just a few they prefer to advertise during this time instead of any other time during the year because they feel that they get more exposure due to those two shows. I think Amy did and does a great job and she deserves all the credit in the world for making it look great
default_aktion033.gif

with all due respect, andi, if you think this thread has turned "bad" I have to say that as far as I can see it took that "bad" turn when the original poster stated that the ASPC ponies should be split away from the Journal--up until that point all of the responses were explaining why this latest issue is so "pony heavy". From that point on people began reacting to that one statement.

I'm sorry if I have step pn your toes out there but I thought it was rather ODD to see many shetlands in this issue and not very many minis.

I'm on here just about everyday and do not often post. I like to read alot to what many of you write.

Orkie, hope you do not mind this question on your topic?

QUESTION CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS PLEASE?

What is the Journal for, Advertising mainly? Was this why it was developed? Just asking?

I do agree with you Minimor, I had not noticed that response and do see a change in responses following it. I do still see it as an uninformed comment made at a bad time, what with some of the other topics currently being debated. I can not imagine that anyone who knew the history of the AMHR/ASPC would have recommended that Shetlands start their own magazine. Again an opportunity to inform, versus scare away newcomers with a debate over who needs who more.

We own both AMHR and ASPC horses and some are dual ASPC/AMHR horses as well. We show at the ASPC National Shetland Congress, World Show in Ohio having both shetlands and the miniatures there and then the AMHR Nationals in Sept. We do advertise in the Journal for both our shetlands and miniatures at our farm and that we also do have a website to market our horses. We also do alot of over the year advertising other ways for our horses which can be very expensive.

Like mentioned before, different Journal issues pertain and highlight to different events over the course of the year with all the equine in the registry.

Some people advertise in the Journal and never competed at a rated show either shetland or miniature, being as a training facility or as a breeder.

The Journal is very well put together by their staff and we have no problem with they way things are handled with our advertisments for both our miniatures and shetland ponies. With us enjoying to show both equine and will continue adding the ponies to our showstring from this year to showing just one to having three shetlands next year. Nothing is more amazing than seeing those ponies strut there stuff in the ring, they are like a miniature only having a bigger "engine" you could say and not everyone can handle some of those HOT ponies, but they are sure "FUN".

Hats off to the entire staff for their effort to try to keep everyone satisfied since they are on a time schedule for publication deadlines.

We have a full page advertisement for both the Congress and World Show coverage in October's issue and have a another full page advertisement for the AMHR Nationals for December.

This topic is really funny to me because I don't think there's ENOUGH shetland coverage. Page after page after page seems to be always geared towards minis. Don't get me wrong, I love minis. They are the bread and butter of my training service, but I raise shetlands. I love looking at other farms shetlands. And it's true. Not many pony farms advertise and even fewer have a website.

Don't worry, you'll be very happy with the December issue.
default_wink.png

Orkie, hope you do not mind this question on your topic?

QUESTION CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS PLEASE?

What is the Journal for, Advertising mainly? Was this why it was developed? Just asking?
A breed journal is a glorified club newsletter. It is a vehicle to get club information and news out to its members but when the "club" becomes so large that the "newsletter" becomes a book you need to be able to offset some of the cost of producing it so that your members can continue to receive it as part of their membership. Advertising is what pays for its production and distribution costs.

Hello,

It was brought to my attention that my previous post on this thread was perceived as somewhat irate. After rereading, I do offer my apologies. As always, when I post anywhere, here or elsewhere, I've always typed with "caps" in effort to express emphasis on personal convictions, not to "yell" as likely perceived. It was always my understanding of "internet etiquette" (sp?) that typing in ALL caps is termed as "yelling" or expressing oneself rather irately. I do understand, however, how my convictions must have come across rather heavily regardless, as I was honestly feeling my "convictions" with a very heavy heart. Again, I apologize for not keeping my composure better.

Also, thank you to andi's posts, in that I agree, this was not the appropriate thread to post my convictions as such either. As, after rereading, I do see this original poster was a "newbie" to the breed, and not likely familiar with the history of basis of my "personal convictions" as expressed. And for that, I do humbly apologize to the original poster, as well as the group.

In my defense, (if there even is any to be had here
default_unsure.png
), by definition of addressing my post to "People", I wasn't directing my response at anyone in particular, especially to the original post of the thread. I was speaking to the masses "in general", so to speak, I guess.
default_wacko.png

Some things said here just really touched that tender spot in my heart for our breed's heritage... and I'll just leave it at that, so as not to further stir within my own self in how I feel (or felt) on the matter.
default_wub.png

I just wanted to say, here mainly, that I was embarrassed that what I said was perceived as irate by anyone, and I offer my sincerest apologies for my untimely and poorly mannered outburst.

Wishing everyone a peaceful, blessed and FAMILY FILLED HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
default_wub.png

Warmest always,

Tanya
default_blush.png

This topic is really funny to me because I don't think there's ENOUGH shetland coverage.
AMEN to that.
default_wub.png

EDITED: Doggone spelling gremlins!
default_wacko.png

Don't worry, you'll be very happy with the December issue.
I can't wait for the December issue, I think Tara's needing a beer or two at this point, but OMG it looks great.........and I loved the Oct/Nov issue as well. I enjoying reading how Congress went and looking at pictures and farms.

We are very excited about our advertisement that we placed in the Decembers Journal issue, the best ad ever, Maggie really did a fantastic job putting everything in place for our wins with our miniature horses at the 2007 Nationals and we are very proud of them as well!

Latest posts

Back