AMHR Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orkie

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my AMHR Journal today in the mail. I'm very disapointed in it! First let me tell you I'm a new mini horse breeder. I've shown big horses qh's and paints all my life and now that I'm into the miniatures I have to say I really enjoy the breed. It's a brand new adventure for me and I'm enjoying it very much!

I have noticed flipping through the journal today that it's just about all Shetland ponies. What is happening to the miniatures? I've heard alot of people say that amhr is the oldest mini assaociation out there and it seems to me the heck with the minis and more devotion to the shetlands.

In the defense of the Journal please keep in mind this is the World Show Issue and the Congress (2 biggest pony shows of the year) issue so yes this issue is always more about ponies but not every issue is!

Kay

Last edited:
I have been getting the Journal for about 8 years now and the October issue has always been geared toward the Shetlands. The December issue seems to be dominated by the minis and is always a good issue.

I have to 2nd that this issue is to highlight the ponies and the winners of the World show and the ASPC congress so yes of course it is all about ponies.. you will see the next issue will be highlighting the AMHR Nationals so that one will have more minis but usually other then these 2 issues again which are a showcase for our breeds biggest shows you will find a pretty even mix of both minis and ponies.

Its not just the AMHR journal, its ALSO the ASPC and ASPR journal!

This issue is also the issue following the Ohio World and Congress shows! Im sure the next issue which will cover AMHR nationals will have plenty of mini farms showcasing their miniature horses.
default_yes.gif

I got my issue yesterday and just flipped threw it really fast, im going to sit down here in a little bit and read threw it, but yes i noticed the front/back and most the pages i flipped threw were ponies, not complaining at all personally
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is something we have to deal with in belonging to AMHR, for AMHR is an offshoot of ASPC and the magazine is put out for both. I can give this issue to someone who likes to look at shetalnds and wait for the next issue which I am sure will have lots of minis in it. If you want Miniatures only we have to choose to order The World which is put out by AMHA and is strictly miniature horses. Mary

The Journal should be divided equally.

Hubby pointed this out last month, we have noticed this more and more lately, not just Oct/Nov.
default_no.gif

Oh well we also get the Miniture World Showcase and Miniature Horse World

I have to AGREE with Reble! A lady I talk to who lives in the mid west pointed this out to me when I got a horse from her a month ago and she has been into mini for over 10 years. Maybe the shetlands need to seprate away from amhr and put out their own journal.

I don't think there should be separate Journals... THE REGISTRY is the ASPC/AMHR. They are TOGETHER. Some of the horses are double-registered!

Some of the Journals highlight the ponies, such as all the news about Congress. It just happens that a LOT of shetland owners submit ads to promote their wins. Whoever pays for the ads, gets them in.

Maybe instead of complaining... put your money where your mouth is and run big full color ads for your AMHR horses, even in the issues that highlight the ponies.
default_wink.png

Except for the articles, most things you notice are the ads... and it just happens to do with the time of year that people focus their advertising.

And besides... the Journal is already so much smaller/less ads than the AMHA mag. It would be pretty pathetic to have it half the size. And I notice that the Shetlands don't even advertise as aggressively as the Minis do... after all most Shetland farms don't even have WEBSITES for goodness sake! You're lucky if they have e-mail! I have only Shetlands now, but I still want to see what AMHR is up to and like having both. When I had AMHR horses only, I loved to drool over the shetland ads. And it will be even more interesting, with the AMHR horses being double registered, to watch what the trend is there. There are a lot more ASPC/AMHR breeders now than in the past.

Soooo those are my thoughts. Just be patient, next issue is the Nationals issue, so plenty of pics of minis for you to look at.

Andrea

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

The Journal "was called "the Pony Journal" since it's being, but to be fair for the Miniature horse breeders, it was changed to just "The Journal".. You need to relaize that AMHR was started by ASPC, so the Shetland people were there first. I have raised both breeds and it's always been my opinion that there are "always" more mini ads than pony ads once the Miniature horses really started to go.... Love to see the Congress issue
default_aktion033.gif

Enjoy the Journal and what is has done for both breeders!
default_wink.png
A BIG THANK YOU to AMY and her staff who work VERY hard to bring us The Journal every other month.
default_yes.gif

JMO,

Jenny

Oct/Nov = Congress highlights issue

Dec/Jan = National highlights issue

Feb/March = stallion issue

April/May = All Star/HOF issue

I don't remember on June/July and Aug/Sept; one is Vesatility issue, I know the August issue is normally used as a "pre-Nationals" issue, but it has a different highlight.

Our registry is THE AMHR/ASPC/ASPR, a great big wonderful registry.....

Well I ONLY show miniatures and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this issue!!! It is meant to highlight the ponies and I get to pour over it and drool over all the ponies that I would love to own and dream of the day when I have one!
default_drool5.gif
I get to see all the wonderful wins that my friends who DO have ponies have had at Congress and World
default_aktion033.gif
The next issue is all about Miniature Nationals and I paid for a full page ad to celebrate my success there and I hope my friends who only show ponies will still enjoy that journal and have a look! Diversity is a wonderful thing...this issue just happens to be the Congress/World, take the time to have a look there are some incredibly beautiful equines in there!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Pam

I really hate it when it turns into an "us against them" when discussing AMHR/ASPC. I love all horses of all sizes.

I honestly cant fathom where this negative vibe for Shetland ponies comes from? You dont have to love them or even own them but geesh to kick them out of their own magazine is pretty harsh.

I would NEVER want to see the Journal split into two magazines ever. All that would do is cost me as a member more money and I love being able to see the horses I love (miniature and pony and mini/pony) all in one magazine.
default_yes.gif

The Journal should be divided equally.

Hubby pointed this out last month, we have noticed this more and more lately, not just Oct/Nov.
default_no.gif

Oh well we also get the Miniture World Showcase and Miniature Horse World
Huh?!?!?!?

So.......are you going to tell advertiser X that he/she cannot advertise because their ad would put it over a 50/50 split? Sheesh!

The Journal is put out by the ASPC/AMHR.....not just AMHR and not just ASPC. I think they do an excellent job of representing the entire spectrum of their membership. Their reporting of events is balanced and unbiased. And yes - trace the history of EVERY SINGLE MINIATURE and you will find that it is 100% PONY.

I have been advertising for 3 years now and AMY has never turned any of my ads away regardless if the ad was for my mini or pony. I think the big part of what you may not be getting is that those ads are PAID for by the farm advertising, the JOURNAL does not pick what ads get run, you simply reserve your page before the deadline and have your ad submitted it is then put into the Jounal. No way would a split be an iinteligent ideal, it is the same registry....I think if you went through and looked at most the journals except the OCT issue, you will find they are mostly mini advertisers!

Hi,

I just got my AMHR Journal today in the mail. I'm very disapointed in it! First let me tell you I'm a new mini horse breeder. I've shown big horses qh's and paints all my life and now that I'm into the miniatures I have to say I really enjoy the breed. It's a brand new adventure for me and I'm enjoying it very much!

I have noticed flipping through the journal today that it's just about all Shetland ponies. What is happening to the miniatures? I've heard alot of people

Well heck one way to get more "mini" adds in there is to reserve some pages for your own farm and get your horses in there.

I havent done it often usually only after Nationals and a couple of other random times but it is always exciting for me to see my adds and my horses in there!

I don't have Shetlands and have to admit I don't read this issue in depth, but it's their issue and there are some gorgeous ponies represented. The original poster did say she was new to minis, remember.
default_smile.png

Jan

Since you are new to getting the Journal you probably don't know the schedule to the Journal at all.

The October/November issue is for the Shetlands, covering the Congress and World Show. The next issue will come out with miniatures covering the National show.

AMHR/ASPC does not decide which ads get put into the Journal and what not. It's the people who pay for the ads and they decide which issue they want to put their ad in. IMO I don't see the Journal being biased by 1 breed or the other. If you see more of something, you see more miniatures in the Journal then you do shetlands.

No they do not need 2 different Journal's, they have enough trouble keeping up with 1 they don't need 2, there's no reason to have 2 anyways.

Latest posts

Back