AMHA B HORSE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen an article written up that includes both registries, although many years ago I wrote something about the miniature horse, and it's history for a demo that I did for 4-H. Both registries have brochures that can be informative, I used to carry around both types and hand them out at local events, but now I just have the AMHR one that I carry in my trailer for promotional purposes. I think there was a book on miniature horses written some time ago, so if anyone has a copy they could use it for reference. Seems there are several talented writers that visit the forum maybe someone will volunteer to write something.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I 'got into' minis(after nearly 40 years involved in 'big' horses) in 1984, there WAS NO B division in AMHR; they did not institute that until several years later. So, of course, I had AMHAs...and I took pains to choose those to show that were GENUINELY 34" or less--though way back then, Foundation Oversize was in effect, and I bought one mare who fit there, and moved another into that division who came to me w/ 'regular' AMHA papers, but did measure nearly 35"...some of us do believe that rules are to be followed,and act accordingly.

At the time, I felt that instituting the AMHR B division was largely a financial move, to increase income...and honestly, that is still my opinion about their original reason. That said, I have come to believe that it became 'worth' more than just increasing income...and for myself, for driving, I have come to prefer a nearer-38" horse. I am not tiny, and like to plesure drive w/ driving clubs and the like, so 'more power' is helpful. I still have and love, several of my 34" and under horses, some of which I bred and/or trained, and/or showed; the very first mini mare I chose to buy was a 'Sooner States' mare who is EXACTLY and honest 34", who is still with me at 29 1/2, and produced excellent offspring---she did well by me, and I intend to do well by her until she is gone. However, my one B sized is an unregistered, very 'UK Shetland' looking, gelding. I did not need registration for what I want him for; his driving training and abilities are his 'ticket' to desirability, IMO.

For loving on, and general 'easy to have around-ness', I hope to never be without at least one 'A" mini. For serious driving of a single horse, give me a larger 'B' mini...there are certainly good niches for both!

Both registries have their pluses and minuses, IMO, but should be supported IF you are actively involved. I no longer have much if any desire to breed show(unless it's the occasional Halter Obst. or Driven Obstacle w/ my 34" AMHA Champion, now 18 YO, homebred/trained gelding, who happens to be out of the above-described mare)...been there, done that, got my fill of it...but am still hopeful that each will continue to grow but IMPROVE as they go.

Margo

I agree 1000% with this very brief statement you made Margo...

Both registries have their pluses and minuses, IMO, but should be supported IF you are actively involved.
default_aktion033.gif

Also another thing I really hate! When someone says a certin horse is so-n-so and measures small. Shows them & permotes them and is very very well known with high $ foals. When really its a different horse that is the same color in the public eye when the real horse is home and is bigger and hidding behind the barn. The bigger horse is breeding the mares so the DNA matchs BUT the public sees the wrong horse promoted as the known horse because hes smaller!
You're talking about a RINGER! Yeah, I have a good suggestion that I'd like to see a registry adopt. It would be costly up front, though, so it might never happen - but it would certainly put a stop to this ringer in the show "bid'ness."

It's called microchipping.

Interestingly enough, we all have the choice of weather we show in either or both registries. The solution is easy. If you don't like what AMHA is doing, stop supporting them by registering your horses, showing at their shows, and paying your membership fees. The same could be said for AMHR. To do any of those things and then to come on this forum and gripe is completely hypocritical. And yes, it is simply griping. While these posts include genuine and legitimate concerns, to find them you have to dig through the whining, sarcasm, and ridiculous passive aggressive tactics. Why not submit a rule change, a grievance, tactfully share your concern at a meeting, or with your area director? There are a million avenues in which to share concerns. I'll be the first to acknowledge that sometimes change is tough especially with so many "good ole boys" running the show. But doing it right is no more a waste of your time than posting it here, where the only outcome is to rile people up and blow things out of proportion, and then what? It stops as quickly as it started because a more interesting thread is now available to start a new round of whining and complaining.

I'm thankful for both AMHR and AMHA. I prefer each for different reasons and I believe that each has different but an equal amount of problems.

I forget who said it, but I too believe that there are far more good, honest, and genuine people in the registries then not. The reason why we sometimes forget this is because they are the least likely to speak up. More often we are hearing from the whiners and complainers that do nothing to encourage change or progress. It's kind of like those phone surveys. I hate when that data is taken seriously. Angry people are far more likely to complete a survey than a happy and content customer. Because of this we are missing a whole set of data that would completely change the results. Anyway, I'm gonna jet to prepare for the AMHA show I'll be attending this weekend. I couldn't be more excited about enjoying good company and pretty horses, because that's why I do this.

Latest posts

Back