A Trainer Holding and Amateur Card

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona said:
H.. A husband, wife, or significant other of a professional trainer may not hold an amateur card, effective show season 2004.
Sounds like this would fit the scenario here???

466216[/snapback]

This is from the AMHR rulebook. The OP's issue is from an AMHA show, and AMHA's ammie rules are different.

Littleum said:
Mona said:
H.. A husband, wife, or significant other of a professional trainer may not hold an amateur card, effective show season 2004.
Sounds like this would fit the scenario here???

466216[/snapback]

This is from the AMHR rulebook. The OP's issue is from an AMHA show, and AMHA's ammie rules are different.

466227[/snapback]

OOPS...Thanks for clarifying that for me.
blush.gif

I haven't shown in any AMHA or AMHR shows yet, just club shows, but I can see where you are coming from. This is similar to what happens in 4H. 4H is no longer a place for kids with backyard horses. Most of the trainers, show up at the shows and work the horses for the kids. Also, many kids (I know for a fact because these people were members of our club and I had copies of their papers) showed their registered quarter horses in the unregistered class so they had a better chance of placing. Also, people borrow horses that were registered and show them as unregistered so there was no proof the family did not own the horse. Also people transfer horses on paper merely for a youth to show the horse. People will always looks for ways to cheat or gain an advantage. This is one of the reasons we primarily show barrel horses as you are running against a clock. Course, You can cheat there too! This is a major area for drug abuse. Of course if the AMHA rules are worded a certain way, guess you can get away with it.

Two comments.

If you think the AMHA rule should be changed, please write up the rule change proposal (form is on the AMHA web site) and get it submitted before our November board meeting.

Please be careful how you word it, write it up as it should be in the rule book, and please include a note describing your intent of the rule change, and a contact number. Sometimes these rule change proposals are so vague and we can't contact the person submitting them so we have to reject them as it is not our place to guess the intent and re-write the proposals. Also, think carefully. I as an ammy have shown a trainers client horses in championships for him. It was that or the horses don't go in. I received no money, he did. If you limit that activity to pros only, then a lot of horses will not get in to the championship classes because there aren't enough trainers to go around sometimes as they have their own client horses in the classes.

On the other issue, per the rule book, if you think this is a rule violation, a protest needs to be filed so AMHA can then follow due process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Afternoon,

Just a clarification.....

Since we talk of both associations...AMHA & ASPC/AMHR/ASPR please be very careful when quoting rules. Just as I have done in my previous email I have let you all know what the 2005 ASPC/AMHR rules are in regards to your amateur program. If you post a rule of the AMHA please let everyone know that it is an AMHA rule as you can confuse folks who MAY NOT be members of either association, or they could be a member of one or the other.

If you are looking at an AMHA rule change and the AMHA convention IS in November please follow your AMHA protocol for submitting rule changes.

With the ASPC/AMHR all rule changes HAD to be post-marked July 1st ( was posted in the April & June Journal) and sent to the approporate committee chair to be presented at the 2005 ASPC/AMHR Convention. No proposed rule changes will be accepted to any committee chair for the 2005 ASPC/AMHR Convention after the July 1st cut-off date. This rule has been in effect for the past three years with the ASPC/AMHR.

Thank you.

Karen Shaw

Chairman

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Program

Latest posts

Back