Irony...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millstone Farm

Reaction score
I find it somewhat amusing, ironic and disturbing to read different people's take on the definition of an amateur. In simplest terms, an amateur is someone who does not accept payment for a laundry list of equine services.

So why is it that every single year we have the same negative posts about certain successful amateurs? This year it was Erica as the AMHR Nationals "professional amateur" and, although not named, an another individual who shows in AMHA shows (his identity was thinly veiled in a throwaway reference - but he not named).

I have never met Erica but applaude her for her accomplishments. I think she is a shining example of a true amateur. I find it appalling that her name has been sullied because of her success. She is the first to share advise and tips on this Forum.

The other person, who was described as having the wealth to buy the best and hire the best had his amateur status questioned too. TO quote a friend, since when does one's income level affect one's amateur status? THis person, if i am right in who was alluded to, is also very generous and has sponsored the jackets given to the World Champions. Might i suggest if you have a problem you not accept a jacket should you win a class at Worlds?

An amateur is an amateur and it doesn't matter how long or how well they show. If they aren't paid for their services, they have every right to show in that division.

I think the bigger issue are the individuals who hide the fact that they accept payment on the sly to show other people's horses (or to train them, etc.) and then attempt to pass themselves off as Level 1 amateurs.

I missed the opportunity to state this on the other post: It is not WHO these successful people are, it is WHAT they DO! You are not born successful. You make YOURSELF successful.

Well, I had not heard about these "questions" of integrity until, guess what!? THIS thread, YOUR post. Maybe this thread would best be removed from the forum? It actually attracts EVEN MORE attention to these people/this issue.

Millstone Farm........you stated everything very well. We've heard posts from members who had their best year ever showing as amateurs, and they deserve our respect and congratulations. Bravo!!! Well done, indeed! Whatever their names are, we share the joy of their achievements.

Then we have the envious and jealous who are as acid as a corrosive rust, wanting to tarnish others achievements. I think this quotation states my view:

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves". ~William Penn. 1693

Sorry, Annabellarose, but anyone who isn't aware of this issue has not been reading LB over the past few days.

I, too, feel Erica exemplifies the ideal of the dedicated amateur -- one who manages to find the endless hours needed to hone their skills AFTER spending hours earning their living.

Why would we criticize someone who succeeds at what they do?

Those who complain obviously want to achieve that level of success, but what will happen if they do? They'll be ripped apart by those jealous of them! And would they then be as gracious as Erica? I highly doubt it.

Why would anyone want to participate in any competition when the best are removed? Where is the challenge in that? We could continue to divide up the classes to the extent that everyone gets a ribbon...Mingus could get a grand in Aged Blood Bay Gelding, Over, Copping a Major Attitude, Handled By a Dumpy Doofus. YAY US!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_deadhorse2.gif

Exactly. I love this forum for the advice, lessons, and updates (pictures and stories) on every one's miniatures not the excessive complaining and whats been going on the past few days. I'm surprised the admins are letting this topic drag on. It making the forum less fun and like every other horse forum I've seen
default_unsure.png

Can't be a winner until you learn how to lose with grace and sportsmanship.

Exactly. I love this forum for the advice, lessons, and updates (pictures and stories) on every one's miniatures not the excessive complaining and whats been going on the past few days. I'm surprised the admins are letting this topic drag on. It making the forum less fun and like every other horse forum I've seen
default_unsure.png
Well, like every other horse forum, you can choose not to take part in threads you do not care for. Such discussions have often evolved into being helpful and supportive - if one has been following along. Let's let Admin make the decisions and not tell them what they should and should not allow. There have been far more contentious threads than that most recent one - and the forum did not go up in flames or get sucked into a black hole... and the fun carried on in other threads... and advice and photos were shared... and so on. Life went on. A forum (no matter what the topic) is what YOU make it - and if you do not care for a thread, ignore it. Admin will deal with it as they see fit.

I am not saying any of that ^ with any "tone" - it's just internet forum basics.
default_smile.png

Mingus could get a grand in Aged Blood Bay Gelding, Over, Copping a Major Attitude, Handled By a Dumpy Doofus. YAY US!!!!!!!!
Heh - I think I can supply Mingus with a challenge for Grand Champion Copping A Major Attitude.... even if I dragged her out of the pasture now, I am positive that Doll could at least get Reserve Grand in that division!

Nah - who am I kidding- once her ears were pinned flat and she started sucking her tongue in annoyance and switching her tail, the Grand would be ours!!
default_biggrin.png
default_new_shocked.gif

Back