75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the other post about the neighbors who saw what was happening and did nothing. Maybe they just didn't know who to call. They now know about these rescue groups and so do a lot of other people around the world. We just want to make sure that people WILL call when they see something and not be afraid of what might happen if they do.

Shelia B.
I also want to mention that maybe these neighbors DID call and nothing was done. There is a woman in my county who is, from all appearances, what most would call an animal hoarder. Two times her numbers of dogs and cats (and one severely foundered pony the first time) have gotten out of control and 2 times my rescue group, with the support of the sheriff, have gone in to take animals. But EVERYone tells us that nothing more can be done than that, that she is not breaking any laws. And the last time I went out there (after 2 seizures, mind you) to take photos at the request of a neighbor who isn't happy with the situation (NONE of them are, all have complained) - there were over 15 adult dogs visible (and a pack howling and barking inside the camper from the sounds of it) and several wormy puppies in a fenced in area off the woman's camper where she lives, with junk all around and no electricity or water. I should also mention that during the first seizure her relatively new house was condemned because she had let the animals take over the house and it was feet deep in feces, and she was living outside in the camper. Both seizures have made our local papers, we have talked with the county attorney, and we have alerted larger organizations around us. We have tried all the angles with health risks, etc. But guess how far we have gotten - in my opinion, nowhere!

The neighbor of the woman told me that I could park at his house any time in order to continue to attempt to gather evidence.

So neighbors do sometimes care, but sometimes I guess it takes a bazillion people calling/faxing/e-mailing everyone who they think can make a difference.

I would bet that anyone else on here that reads this and has had ongoing involvment with rescue has had similar experience. It's a sad truth to our system. So I continue to say, GREAT JOB EVERYONE - this really would NOT have occured without you!

Thank you for your report and opinion of what you saw. I have been wondering if the stallions were running with the mares or were all the stallions separate? JUst a yes or no would be fine because I do understand you have had a long exhausting day. Thanks, Mary

Update from the trenches today. But first let me say I'm expressing my personal views. I didn't know Vern before today but after being in his pasture with he and his horses and Ginny and several other people today, these are my impressions. It's been a long day and I don't intend to get into a dissing contest with anyone who doesn't agree with my opinion. It is after all MY opinion.

First, like Marty said a total of 13 horses were moved today. The 3 geldings and the baby that weren't picked up before; plus an adorable buckskin foal that everybody had their eye on. He was sold while I was still walking around, but I had spotted him already. Trailer #1 pulled out with those 4 horses loaded.

The ladies from the Kansas Mini Club started talking with Vern and he agreed to let them take 4. While they were rounding their 4 up, I offfered to take one. He agreed. They asked for another, again he agreed. Then I got a second one. Total of 7 on that trailer plus another foal. I don't think there are any more foals there. Two of todays foals and the 7 stallions were purchased at a reasonable price. While we were picking them out we were trying to take those who looked the worst. I think we were successful.

One of my first reactions was that it wasn't as crowded with junk vehicles as I thought it would be. The photos we saw showed them all lined up; which they are. They aren't scattered all over the place like I expected to see them. There was a lot of open, uncluttered pasture. There was manure in the pasture - it hadn't all been eaten like had been speculated about. Yes there is junk. Yes there are things there I wouldn't leave in my pasture; but it isn't my pasture. If people are going out to help him clean things up for the safety of the horses I say good for them!

There were 2 round bales the horses were feeding on. I saw salt and mineral blocks available to them.

When I first got there I talked for several minutes with Vern. As Ginny said he's quite polite. Let's face it, he could be standing at the gate with a shotgun and telling all of us to get the heck off his property. He isn't doing that. He's friendly, he's reasonable, he's totally overwhelmed and, as much as he hates it, he's trying to comply with the order to reduce his herd.

The reporter from Fox4 got there at the same time I did. I don't think Vern was expecting them, but I saw that he was giving them an interview. I guess they aired something again this evening. At one time there were about 14 people milling around. That's enough to drive anybody nuts. I certainly wouldn't be very happy about 14 unexpected guests tromping all over my pasture.

After the first trailer left and we started talking with Vern about taking more horses Sheriff Coleman and Deputy Grey arrived. Both friendly, straight-forward men, not ogres. Sheriff Coleman urged us several times to "keep dealing" "keep talking" with Vern. He recognized that Vern was responding to us and horses were being moved. Part of his goal is to see the numbers go down. Nice men. I enjoyed meeting them both.

I took lots of pictures, but it will probably be tomorrow before I get them posted. All in all I enjoyed the day. It was definitely worth the 8 hour drive.

I was told the video had been pulled from YouTube-I just assumed it was true without checking. Can anyone supply me with still photos pulled from there? Not for national broadcast (you probably already know that) but there is a local fundraiser here and I would like for donors to see who they are helping. As others meet Vern and see his place, I hope it is coming to light this isn't enabling. I already have several big bales of super quality hay donated and bags of Equine Senior for the special needs of older horses. Can anybody help me out here? I'm leaving at ten on Sunday morning. Good things are happening.

Thanks, AppyLover, for sharing your experience. It's not what you expect and impossible to explain unless you've been there.

As for you all, my fellow forum participants, I feel I have stumbled upon a new and wonderful place, where my horse-craziness is accepted - even expected! Virtual hugs to you all, and thank you again for all the interesting, useful, and fun stuff you have taught me here. <sniff!>

Who was that masked man ???

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

(woman) lol

:worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

Is anyone else starting to feel warm and fuzzy all over ???

:538: :538: :538:

Ok Sheila, let's see how this goes. Perhaps others can put their heart felt thoughts into copies of this or something like this and then send to to all of the news casts, officials and publicity places they sent the original alarm letters and emails to. If you sent one out - you need to repeat the process with a positive update now.

Press Release

In Uniontown Kansas a near disaster was averted by compassionate horses lovers
Thank you, Vicki, for this. I publish a small mainly local weekly paper, and a few days ago I did mention to one of the members here that a press release would be wonderful to have to publish. I know the circulation of my paper is very small, but it does help to keep people in my area in touch with the happenings of the rest of the province, country and world.

i would be happy to publish a press release on this whole situation, with permission to the BOD and the author(s) as well. It's not Fox news or CNN, but...it's a starfish.

The paper is also available on the web and will be updated this weekend.

If a press release is provided, I will post the link here in the forum, and I'd also be happy to have a link to the group somewhere in the online version of my paper.

On another note...I do :aktion033: all the people who have spent the time, effort, emotions and yes, personal funds in order to see this project come to fruition. We are but members of an online community, viewed by a vast amount of people as ephemeral: people connecting over phone lines [dang this dial up!] and radio waves, but nonetheless, we ARE a community, and people working together for the benefit of the community and its surroundings, to me, is the very essence of humanity.

Please feel free to PM me and let me know if I can be of help with a public press release.

Thanks.

A veterinarian from Kansas State University was there yesterday. I don't know ifhis report willl be released or not. Mr. Trembly showed me the report from Doctor Gray and it did not do him any favors. The K-State vet is absolutely the best we could have hoped for.

This deal is not going to go away. Yes, there will be follow-up. Kansas rescues will monitor it, as well as the Sheriff's department. (They are NOT the bad guys depicted in earlier posts. Lots of miscommunication took place. They had a lot to deal with in additon to their regular duties.)For what they've been through, too, you can bet they don't want a repeat. Vern has some great friends who will continue to help him. They have made recommendations to him, just like Ginny, and always hit a brick wall. I wish I had gotten their number. I know they would help, but as close an eye as their keeping on things, I'll bet they'll be there.

THANKS for this information. Now that it's late on Friday, and all the other news has been posted, I (and so many others, I'm sure) am breathing a big sigh of relief. You know what? I bet Mr. Trembly is, too. Hope Ginny and the others will make a little more headway on Saturday and Sunday and help more of these little guys find new homes.

Bless you all for what you have done and for sharing the good news today. More prayers for healing for the Moores, Mr. Trembly, and the minis and their fosters.

Faith

Thanks for the awesome update Marty. I am so glad that a few more horses will have a chance at life!!

OK So ya'll know - real lawyers aren't supposed to cry. You make me so proud and so happy to be counted in your ranks. Great work!!!! I did screw up the date for this weekend - it is Sunday not Saturday - I'm in trial next week and have a conflict on the 28th or I'd be there for the fun on the 27th and this Sunday. Please make all the changes or corrections you can before sending out the press release and celebrate the love of these little horses. I agree with Mona the money doen't need to go to letting him keep horses but it sure needs to go to foster homes and rescuers for expenses. Thanks guys.

Thank you for helping us keep a sense of balance with your advice.
default_yes.gif
: I do hope Vern is thankful for all the buyers stepping up to give these minis some good homes and to the foster homes for taking his sickest and treating them. He does have to part with them because of being so over the number he is supposed to have. So much better for them than taking them to an auction where who knows what would have been their fate. I hope in time Vern will realize that love does mean letting go when need be. Mary

OK So ya'll know - real lawyers aren't supposed to cry. You make me so proud and so happy to be counted in your ranks. Great work!!!! I did screw up the date for this weekend - it is Sunday not Saturday - I'm in trial next week and have a conflict on the 28th or I'd be there for the fun on the 27th and this Sunday. Please make all the changes or corrections you can before sending out the press release and celebrate the love of these little horses. I agree with Mona the money doen't need to go to letting him keep horses but it sure needs to go to foster homes and rescuers for expenses. Thanks guys.

so am I understanding here that he has been paid for all the 13 or 17 (have to look back and see the numbers) of horses that have left?

IN essence he has sold them all to the rescues and fosters and private parties able to step up?

even at a couple hundred a peice that should add up to a pretty penny to enable him to purchase feed and help pay for vet care at least.

Lisa, My understanding is he gave the first ones to the rescues and they were placed in foster homes but there are others that he sold to people who offered to buy them.

so am I understanding here that he has been paid for all the 13 or 17 (have to look back and see the numbers) of horses that have left?

IN essence he has sold them all to the rescues and fosters and private parties able to step up?

even at a couple hundred a peice that should add up to a pretty penny to enable him to purchase feed and help pay for vet care at least.

This is going to be long. Thoughts from an on the scene male person. Fire extinguisher by my side.

First thank you Shannon for our visit Fri. Morning.

Ginny, nice to talk to you although nothing in depth.

Appylover2, thought that was you from your post that you were headed to Uniontown, thanks for being there even though I didn't get to meet you.

Girls from KMHC way to go. We have the greatest club.

Okay here goes from Mike AKA TNKRTOY.

I am really ashamed of the negative comments towards Mr. Trembly that I have made on this forum and others. Like others that have been on site I saw what I would say is a majority of the horses aren't that bad body condition wise. The big issue I saw was need of farrier care and probably dental attention. Yes I know the worst have left and the ones that left today were in pretty bad condition. One gelding was not real bad looking and pretty easy to handle. The other two geldings were pretty hard to catch as they probably haven't been handled much. I still have the smell of the foals on me from carrying the one to the back of the van. They are so cute. I work on Friday nights so I had to leave around 1:00PM so I am not sure what other ones left today. I will go to see them today (Sat) or Sunday if okay with Sharon Lewis-White. The club girls did bring pictures of their driving horses. Let me tell you that all of the ladies from KMHC drive and are good at it, so they have good conversation material for Mr. Trembly. I understand from my wife, she had talked to Marsha that was there that they got this little mare that was Mr. Trembly's main ambassador. Anyone would like to have her. The wife says get her from Sharron, but alas we just got three yearling fillys about 3 weeks ago. You never know though.

Here are some of my observations.

As I looked into Mr. Trembly's eyes I saw pain. Pain of loosing your best friends in life. He really needs much more downsizing, but my opinion is that he could manage a few with out breeding. I would say up to ten or so. I have a feeling that he either doesn't have family or they are not close. He really seems like a gentle man and was very polite. That was mentioned above about the number of people wandering his place. I took still and video camera but left them in my truck because of the number of minglers. I decided to leave them after talking with Ginny. I felt the cameras might make a negative out of the situtation. I wanted to try to get a water sample to have analized from his pond. My opinion is that the pond may be a place where the horses may be getting the mentioned parasites.

Mr. Trembly fits the posted Mayo Clinic definition of a Horder. He could probably use some therapy for this condition. From the Mayo description I do have some hording instincts.

The trash is a real hazzard, but it sounds like that will be fixed.

Winter is still going to be a bad situtation. I just hope the weak horse are gone by then. We do not have fancy barns, but we do have run in barns and I can look out when it's snowing, raining, sleeting etc. and my horses are enjoying the weather not in their shelters. I would really like to get FFA, Woodworking classed involved in building shelters. Just don't know where the materials would come from.

It would be nice to have electricity on the place and tank heaters.

Questons for thought.

Have you ever had to take the keys of you parents car away. I haven't but I know how difficult that can be.

Have you ever had to put a parent in a rest home, assisted living facility etc. They may think they are fine at home.

I have seen the pain of my dad getting rid of his dairy cows. He talked about them until his death. As hard as dairying is it was his life long body of work. He had one son that wanted off the farm and years later realized that farm life is tough but rewarding.

I don't think I need to explain my point, but these horses have been a major part of his life and he is going through a life changing experience now.

I don't mind him selling his horses. My feeling is that he would not go buy new horses. I would say every horse on his place was raised by him and he probably doesn't want other peoples horses.

Any help either sweat or helping provide for his horses is for the horses not Mr. Trembly. For the horses.

I am almost done for anyone that has made it this far.

The first trailer load, Joan's trailer, made it to Ottawa, Ks. about an hour and she had transmission troubles. A call to Sharon brought help. I think that Janet S. one of the KMHC ladies took her truck to get the trailer and get the horses to foster care.

Can you all see that I am proud of the Kansas Miniature Horse Club (KMHC) We are small but mighty.

Later,

Mike

I agree with you, Littlehorses. It is so easy to judge what you don't know about.

I see nothing wrong with people helping an older man clean his property up. It used to be done back when people cared about each other. Neighbors helped neighbors when neighbors needed help, and they didn't want money in return. It's called "compassion and the right thing to do", which seems to have been taken out of the Dictionary or is no longer bred into the human race. With all the, "I want,I want" and the "that's mine, that's mine", most have forgotten what being a human is about. Again, the "All mighty dollar" wins in the end. Screw the person that needs help.

You are so right! :aktion033: That's what makes the world go around when all is said and done. Three times this week I have had folks step up and do three major jobs for me and my little horses. These were things I really wouldn't have been able to do on my own and just wouldn't have been done. They knew what was on my "wish list" and in each case it was done quickly and efficiently with all the right heavy equipment. The coming winter will be much easier for me and way more comfortable( I think, but they probably won't really notice to be honest) for the girls.

This morning I took some home canning to one of these folks as a little thank you. He said,"It was no big deal" to which I replied, "well it was a huge deal for me and the girls". He just simply said, "that's why I did it". So I sat and had coffee and cookies with his wife and him and we talked about their forthcoming 50th anniversary celebration.

That's the sort of thing that Vern is experiencing now and in the days to come. People helping people just because they see a need and they can do it. So simple but so huge.

As a very wise woman put it to me today as she set off on her own helping errand, "you have to walk the walk not just talk the talk." I see a lot of walking starting to happen here and hearts are being opened as a result.

Mike I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself yesterday. And I gotta say, after reading your views on things I'd love to give you a hug. It's just so hard for people who haven't been there to understand why our feelings of vindictiveness are so misplaced.

Before I offered to purchase anything I asked Ginny about it. She said "anything we can do to get more out" is ok. That's when my money started changing hands. I didn't overhear it, but I think she and the ladies from KMHC had the same conversation.

To the best of my knowledge, the only horses that have been purchased, are the stallions and the 2 foals that were moved yesterday.

The mares and geldings were loose in the pasture. As you'll see from my pictures most of them were around the round bales. There were a few who hung around where we were or would come up for water. One very friendly little girl (who I think Ginny really liked) we were calling Shadow because she followed our every step. A couple more would let you approach and pet them; a few who would shy away at any move in their direction (to include the 3 foals). One Wendy was calling Candy Apple (I think the name's right) because she liked apple slices but spit out the carrots.

The stallions were definitely not interested in being handled. They were in a pen but it was a round-up. Had they been big horses we wouldn't have been able to load them. As it was, once we got them to the door of the trailer a couple of the ladies would just pick them up to get them started.

Pictures to follow as soon as I get Photobucket to cooperate.

Marty. love, no warm and fuzzies here.

Warm and fuzzy = complacent and that gets nothing down.

There is a LONG way to go yet- ALL those horses, maybe, just maybe bar a handful of geldings, need to be got away.

I do NOT want this happening again in the middle of winter.

I would not be happy at all if donated money went anywhere near this man- any money he gets will just go to persuade him he can keep them OK.

It is not a question of money, never has been, it is a question of care.

They were not getting it and, as soon as the spotlight is off, they will no longer get it.

They need to get right down to numbers that can fend for themselves and NOT breed.

I feel NO sympathy for this man at all. sorry all you sympathy hounds, I do not know where you get it from.

If he were living in squalor and needed help for himself and was too proud to ask I would be the first one there.

Dumb animals suffer and you can count me out of the sympathy brigade.

A link to all the pictures I took yesterday. http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/AppyLover2/

This is the buckskin foal everybody had their eye on.

ksmin10Oct11.jpg

Here are the horsenappers
default_wink.png
:

ksmin10Oct19.jpg

This is the foal who had been left behind.

ksmin10Oct10.jpg

One of the stallion pens. We got the sorrel with the flaxen mane from this group.

ksmin10Oct9.jpg

One of the 2 round bales

ksmin10Oct2.jpg

Another stallion. This one Vern said had to be kept separated from the others. Loved this guys coloring. Reminded me of Rex Allen's horse Coco. You youngsters won't remember him.

ksmin10Oct16.jpg

Oops, almost forgot to show you Shadow. She's definitely too thin. Needs grooming bad. But she's very alert and bright eyed.

ksmin10Oct15.jpg

I think there are about 17 photos in the album if you want to see the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link to yesterdays Fox4 coverage. :new_shocked: I had no idea until I watched it that while I was talking to him, Vern was wearing a microphone and the camera was rolling.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/De....1.1&sflg=1

Call us "sympathy hounds" if it makes you feel better. I prefer to think of it as EMpathy. Some of us try to put ourselves in the other persons place rather than above them. If you don't know where we get it from....perhaps you should dig a little deeper.

My SYMpathy is with the horses.

AppyLover, Photo Bucket ask for a password. I would love to see the pictures.

Oh shoot! Ok let me try something.

It's telling me to set a guest password, but doesn't tell how to do it. Try KsMinis. If that doesn't work maybe someone can help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back