75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone who is helping any way that they can with both the horse's and Mr T.

And yes I know how hard it is first hand, not being able to do what you love and how hard it is to let them go.

If I was closer... I would buy one of the mares.

Last edited by a moderator:
The horses really aren't being taking away from him...he is letting them go because of the need to downsize. It was stated earlier that he had 50 some horses over his limit for the amount of acres he has. It is understood that he is not capable of handling the amount he has so this is a huge help to hm to have people step in and buy them and meet their needs which he wasn't doing. Mary

A lot of time, energy, and money is being put into taking the horses away. Now that he has accepted help, and is attempting to downsize, why must all/most of his horses be taken away? If so many people are willing to donate time and money to taking them, how come nobody is willing to donate time and money to allow him to keep them? Why not work on a "supervison contract" that will allow volunteers to donate their time to help Vern Trembly take care of his mini's instead of removing them all? This man sees these mini's as his life's work. Why do we have to destroy the man to save the mini's? If the mini's are well kept does it really matter by who?

Vern Trembly is not an evil man. He is not an ignorant man. He is an elderly man trying to do more than he realistically can. Why can't we all just help him? Cleaning up his lot is a great idea. Donating shelters is another. For the rescues in the area, would it be possible to use the donated money for the horses care while they stay with Vern? That way money is not sent directly to Vern so we can be sure it will be sent on horse care. (Although I have no doubt that money sent to Vern would be used towards the horses, I am afraid he might not accept it) Enlist the aid of neighbors if they are willing, make weekly visits or whatever is necessary to help Vern with his horses. I know the first knee jerk response is to take them away and put them in a safe place. Why can't we make where they are a safe place?

I implore you all to think about this a bit. The horse industry is in serious trouble. We have too many horses, the market is in serious decline, hay is expensive and we have had vast droughts. There is going to be a time when the rescues will all be full. I myself have two horses and can not have any more without overextending myself which could put my horses in jeopardy. What are we going to do when we are all in this same predicament? Shouldn't we be looking for other solutions?

Danielle I'm not sure which picture you're referring to. Could you post it or send it to me? Unless the white stallion was on the truck that picked up the geldings and foal who hadn't been transported earlier, he wasn't moved yesterday. There were at least 4 greyish/tannish (whatever you want to call it) stallions who were taken yesterday, but no "white" ones. (Sorry to contradict you Marty.) If I can see the picture I might be able to help a little more. I might add that there was still a white one there. Cute little guy with a very pretty head and face. I noticed him specifically when, after we had loaded, he walked over to the fence and was standing there watching us. Ginny and I both commented on how pretty he was. I personally would have liked to have him, but, as I said earlier, we were just loading the ones Vern said we could take for the money offered.

Mona, according to Ginny yesterday...the horses that were hauled by KMHC yesterday were actually released to CMHR. According to Ginny they can be moved whenever the necessary vet checks are done. This same thing may or may not be true of the earlier ones who were released to the other rescue (sorry don't remember their name) as that rescue is now responsible for them. If you're specifically interested in the earlier ones I'd recommend you call Victor and ask him.

I pulled this quote off the bottom of AppyLover2's signature as I thought it very much applies to this situation.

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit..... author unknown

Golly paintnthings....there it was, right there under my nose all this time. Thanks for pointing it out.

That's exactly what I'm afraid could happen to Vern.

I am glad to see that the horses are being removed even a couple at a time. The News report said he is now down to just over 60 horses. I would like to see him down to around 15 geldings because his land could support that many in the summer. He would still have to feed in the winter. I see nothing wrong with him selling the horses as long as he is not doing it for show and actually selling them. He should be able to get a bit of money for caring for himself and the remaining horses. After all he did originally put that money into the horses at some time. Maybe some one could help him get his home into order too. I know what it is like to be able to do things and then all of a sudden you can't. I was going to put in a chain link fence for my horses and found I couldn't do it because of my injuries that I will always have. A couple of friends came and not only put in my fence but they put a brand new gate to the front of my property and are building a dog run for me (the dog chases our farm rabbit). I wish I were closer because reguardless of my injuries I would do what I could to help pick up things. At age 71 he does need help now. Things were different when he was tossing the stuff out there. It was more acceptable then. Now it is not. He does need help and monitoring to make sure he does sell the horses he needs to so he can care for the rest.

I guess that particular quote has always struck me when I get to the bottom of your posts because it sums up what I think will be my fate if my fur kids were taken away. And I still have human family around me. But the connection is different, and I can't imagine not having the unconditional love that my critters provide to me.

Thats ok Donna. I was scribbeling notes as Ginny was "dictating" them to me, I couldn't hardly keep up and I could have got that wrong about the white stallion. My notes say the white stallion, the one that was down, was re-homed but I could have gotten that confused......I can't read my own scribble half the time
default_wacko.png
:

Maybe some one could help him get his home into order too.

I was thinking that too. Ginny says there is that old trailer out there stuffed with old hay and trash garbage everyhere and unlivable but he also has a motor home out there he could stay in if he wanted to but there is no electric hook up. If there were, it might make things easier for him to stay out there during winter, I don't know, just a thought.

This will probably tick some people off, so go ahead. I actually don't care.

I've been trying to contact Gini and I've PMd and emailed Marty with no response. I understand everyone is totally overwhelmed with trying to keep up with updates, etc, so no problem. I'll state my offer here.

I can still take up to 20 to foster. How about I agree to keep them through the winter, feed them, worm, vaccinate, farrier, etc. Once spring is here Mr. T decides at that time if he really wants them back or if we can place them in perm homes. If he wants them back, I will bring them back. If he has realized he has enough without them, they can be placed with the help of CMHR.

Let me know if anyone involved wants me to head that way with the trailer. I'm five hours away.

Donna, I wish I could post it, but it has been removed, well the access to it. It was on the start of this thread. It was a white stallion (I presume stallion, was in a pen) and was lying down. It was one of the two shots of horse that were said couldn't or wouldn't get up. One was a dark bay and the other was the white one.

I hope it is kept in mind that Vern has chosen to live his life frugally and to try and impose our ways on him as far as havng electrciity etc. may not be the right thing to do. If he has pride it will be hard for him to accept some things. Sure there may be no harm in asking him about doing some things but from what he has said he doesn't like changes. Someone may hook up electricity but then will he pay the monthly bills. has to be considered. I know everyone has good intentions. He has a tremendous amount of help right now in getting the homes his minis need and he has much to be thankful for from the rescuers. I hope he sees it that way. I just watched the news from last night and must say those minis are very lucky to be getting the attention they are right now. He isn't the first and won't be the last to have to make changes because of age. We take our minis to nusing homes and many old ranchers/farmers are there because they have lived long lives and now can't do what they could in their younger days [price we pay for wanting to live so long] Anyway they love to see the little horses and many have chose to take their path in life as acceptable because it doesn't do any good to live in the past.] I hope I can have the gracefullness of some of these older people if I live as long as them. Being only a few years younger than Vern I think I can speak of age! Mary JMHO

Thats ok Donna. I was scribbeling notes as Ginny was "dictating" them to me, I couldn't hardly keep up and I could have got that wrong about the white stallion. My notes say the white stallion, the one that was down, was re-homed but I could have gotten that confused......I can't read my own scribble half the time
default_wacko.png
:

Maybe some one could help him get his home into order too.

I was thinking that too. Ginny says there is that old trailer out there stuffed with old hay and trash garbage everyhere and unlivable but he also has a motor home out there he could stay in if he wanted to but there is no electric hook up. If there were, it might make things easier for him to stay out there during winter, I don't know, just a thought.

was re-homed but I could have gotten that confused......I can't read my own scribble half the time
I understand Marty. If he was re-homed through CMHR and you can get a name from Ginny that would be great. I would like to help whoever did get him to put him back to 100% healthy, that is if they will accept my help.

Parmela, :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: , your offer is absolutely AWESOME. Personally, because some are out of reach right now, Ginny, no access to the internet, etc. if I could do what you are planning I would call Mr. Trembly and discuss this with him, offer to sign an agreement as exactly you have stated. Bless you for thinking of the horses and Mr. Trembly at the same time.
default_wub.png
:

Hey Parmela my pm's and emails are backed up.

Ginny has no service on the cell out there but I will tell her of your generous offer asap.

You could head that way if you wanted to but not sure how many more he is willing to part with but you can try and see what happens. No one's offer to help is being turned away!

I was just now able to get on today. Storm scared my QH gelding and he knocked down his gate and took the wrapping off his already injured foot. All is ok but took a while to sort out since I am only one home. (I will never use wooden gates again. Third time one of the geldings went through it!!)

I am about 2 hours from uniontown. I was actually going to try and go out there with my trailer and see what I could do but I read that no one would be out there until tomorrow. I could have a temp shelter up to hold a horse in quartintine in less than an hour. My mother also has an area she has already prepared for a mini and a third area that I could get ready within about another hour of work. She lives a mile from me.

If someone would like us to hold a horse for them I am sure we could work something out until health papers could be obtained.

We really want to help. As I said before I was hoping to fax my application to CMHR. I noticed you did not have a KS rep yet. I am sorry I did not know you existed until this happened but I would like to see what I could do to join and help. I have already talked to my family and they would be happy to help support.

I am without cell phone right now (son is borrowing) and need to run to feed store real quick but will be back so please send me a message and I will be glad to discuss with anyone any way I can help.

Charlie Horse Acre, thank you posting about the offer to hold a horse until it's health papers could be sorted out for shipping. That is what I need since I am in Canada!!! :aktion033: . I think Mona (from the forum here) might also be interested in your offer. That was the problem for us not being in Kansas nor in the U.S. Just in case i am going to contact a shipper and get some quotes.

Charlie Horse Acre, thank you posting about the offer to hold a horse until it's health papers could be sorted out for shipping. That is what I need since I am in Canada!!! :aktion033: . I think Mona (from the forum here) might also be interested in your offer. That was the problem for us not being in Kansas nor in the U.S. Just in case i am going to contact a shipper and get some quotes.
I have sent you an e-mail. Please feel free to share it with other members that are interested. I will be back on in about an hour. Need to run before the feed store closes. AND if I am on the internet I can't get calls. I have dial up. So let me know if you are wanting to call.

Thank you for letting me help!

Danielle, if this is the one your talking about, I can honestly say I didn't see him yesterday. I would imagine he was taken out the first day since they said they took those in the worst condition.

KSMinis24.jpg

Going back over some of the earlier photos after having been there, maybe I can help with perspective a bit.

This one is the path from the road to the entrance to the pasture. It's not a gate, it's a section of cattle panel that's fastened with a bungie cord. If you look closely you can see the wire. The debris in the foreground (the drums, the pile of aluminum cans, etc.,) are outside the pasture fence between the road and the gate.

kansas8.jpg

This is the same area from the other direction. Standing in the pasture looking out. I understand that feed is kept in the drums. I'm guessing the buckets sitting there (white ones) and the way the horses are gathered means was feeding time.

KsMin6.jpg

I feel a little easier about this matter- but I just think everyone needs to keep their ears pricked.

I am still not half as concerned for Trembly as I am for the horses, and if you think that makes me a bad person, so be it, it has happened before and I have survived!!

I am not at all concerned with whether or not someone helps this man clear his house etc- it would be nice if some neighbours could do it, and I do know that they have most probably offered in the past and been rebuffed, now is the time to ask again.

One person on their own can look after around 10 horses at his age, maybe a few more.

That much I would have thought was obvious.

So- long term, how long do you think this effort can go on??

A lot of the workers must be on the verge of collapse, they really need time out for a bit- and what happens then??

Or are there people willing to step into the gap??

I am so afraid that once the pressure is off everyone will just carry on as if nothing happened.

And then winter will come!!!

Is someone going to make sure the round bales get replaced- they will not last long after all and they do appear to be the first ones to be put out- that in itself is amazing to me- will they keep on coming???

Maybe someone should point out to Mr. Trembly that he IS 71 now and if something happened to him all the horses would probably be sent to slaughter. I'm sure he wouldn't want that to happen.

Thank God for all you people that are helping.

DONNA!!! YES THAT IS HIMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Donna, Marty, ANYONE - Can you please please please try and find out where he is at for me?????

Maybe someone should point out to Mr. Trembly that he IS 71 now and if something happened to him all the horses would probably be sent to slaughter. I'm sure he wouldn't want that to happen.
Rest assured, no horses would go to slaughter. There are enough caring people that would step up if he has no family to look after dispersing the herd. The rescues would never allow them to be slaughter bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back