75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:aktion033: Wow, all you guys are awesome!!! :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: OMG! I am once again shedding tears, but this time, they are TEARS OF JOY!!! :bgrin I cannot even begin to thank everyone enough for all they are doing to get these little horses the help they so desparately need, and to now hear HELP IS ON THE WAY, does my heart good...I just have such a positive feeling now, that we CAN and WILL help them...STRENGTH IN NUMBERS!!! KEEP IT UP!! HUGS to all!!!!
default_wub.png
:

When you find out if it will be on the FOX news or NBC, could you post time for the news report.

We would like to watch it, but we have to drive 22 miles to watch it, as we don't have our tv on. Keeps our kids busy with better things to do.
default_smile.png

Thanks!

I just got finished writing on another forum I belong to where I posted this story. I got soooo frustrated last night, or should I say early this morning, that I was not getting any written responses to the thread I started. I just wrote an "apology" to the members since some HAD called or faxed from the Netherlands and other places in Europe. Princess Alia Hussein of Jordan has also sent a communication to the Sheriff. Wonder what he thinks of that!!!! This is something he will never forget for the rest of his so called career as a sheriff.

I am going back to read the rest of the emails that have inundated my email box. Thank you Chances Miniature Horse Rescue, executive, volunteers, and all the wonderful people around the world, wherever you are, for SCREAMING AND SHOUTING.... you ARE the voices for these minis and your voices WILL BE HEARD by hook or by crook :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

2nd chance horse rescue please get in contact with me.I too live near Rose hill and I am on the foster list.May be we can help one another out.............Cathy [email protected]

I have a trailer and am off work Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm only 4 hours away. I have pasture, shelter, grain, wormer and hay.

I'm also available to stand on a streetcorner in Uniontown with a billboard on my back revealing this situation and the lack of action from the authorities.

Please feel free to contact me/include me in any plans.

Princess Alia Hussein of Jordan has also sent a communication to the Sheriff
................... To the person in direct contact with Fox News don't you think they need to be given the names of these important people that have / are also trying to help these animals? Perhaps it will then receive more coverage rather than a 30 second story.......................................................... As for trespassing - how close is the nearest neighbor? Can someone find out & see if they can video tape, take pictures from a distance & even alert a main contact person when/if horse trailers are seen leaving the area. I am still concerned that the horses will be moved, never to be seen again, suffering the same fate. If the horses are moved then the sheriff will be rid of this thorn in his side. Legally would the owner have to disclose the new location - I'm sure the sheriff would say he doesn't know!

The whole thing makes no sense. Of course how someone can let there horses get like that, how neighbors can go without saying anything - how the whole town can be run by some children of the corn crazy sheriff dept. It all just seems so totally and completly illogical

I cant fathom what would make an entire dept like that makes no sense they cant be horrible inhumane people who love to watch animals suffer, could someone be telling them some untruths as well and they are and they are being fooled?

We have to be missing a big piece of the puzzle here? We know the horses are dying that is a fact, but I just cant see how or why the Sheriff office would deny it or allow it to go on just becouse they felt like it? I realize there are bad cops believe me (remember I grew up in Los Angeles) but a whole dept of animal haters?

Last edited:
Hello,

I just wanted to add that I think if someone could make a personal appearance at a County Commission meeting that would probably make a much bigger impact than just a phone call. I worked in county government in West Virginia for 11 years and we had an issue once where our parking places (which we paid for) were going to be taken away and changed into public spaces, but the way that they (the commissioners) were going about it was discriminating so some of us went to a commission meeting and voiced our objections and stated our reasons for why it was not fair whose parking spaces were taken. The newspaper was there and we got our picture and an article in the paper, it didn't take long for them to drop the idea and we kept our parking spots.

If some can go to a meeting here are some Ideas:

Call the County Commission and get put on the agenda for the next available meeting.

Have more than one person there and make sure all of you are on the list of people to speak at the meeting. (in our county this was a separate step). Each person will probably be given a limited amount of time to speak.

Contact newspapers and/or TV to see if they can have someone at the meeting. (In some places the newspaper sends a reporter to every commission meeting just to make sure they stay on top of county news.)

Make a list of points you want to make to the commission about this situation. Make sure you tell them all of the incorrect information you have been given by the Sheriff's office and about the people that were eyewitnesses to the situation. Take pictures with you if you can.

Also, Bourbon county has an online lookup of property taxes. Vernon Trembly has 2 parcels of property he is taxed for according to the online lookup. I did my lookup (in the Bourbon County Tax Lookup)just on the name "Trembly". No other people with the same last name showed up from that tax lookup.

Charlotte

For those comments regarding the Fox News reporter.....

I was not contacted by the reporter herself, but by (possibly) her assistant. She's the one who said the reporter was on the way to Unionville. She's also the one who asked for pictures. I was unable to open some of them but I was able to send some that I had been using as attachments to the e-mails I've been sending out.

The Fox I contacted was Fox 4 out of Kansas City. Sorry I don't know their news schedule but I'm sure you can find it on their web site. Wish I was somewhere that I could see it. If it's on and anyone sees it PLEASE be sure and let us know we made the news.

Cathy H I agree with you, it would be wonderful if the media was interested in knowing who all the people are who have become involved in this effort. Unfortunately, unless I'm asked, I don't feel it's my place to start naming names........surer than heck I'd forget somebody. Also, I have no idea who all has helped us.

Ginny....we're waiting with bated breath for your next update.

Hi All,

Saw a link about this story on our local Kansas City Craigslist, so your flooding the internet to get the word out is working! Just wanted to say that we have a 28 ac. horse ranch in Harrisonville, MO (about 1 1/2 hrs away from the minis) and we'd definitely be happy to take/foster a few if needed... we also would take a couple of goats (they don't seem to be mentioned often, but we feel for them too). We don't specialize in minis per se (although we have one), and actually have more of the big guys (drafts) here on our ranch, but I was a Vet Tech at UC Davis for 3 years, and am a retired zookeeper from the San Diego Zoo after over ten years in the zookeeper profession. I am currently 5 months pregnant myself (and on some restrictions), so I can't be out picketting or anything (also we have an 11 mo. old son), but please let us know if there's a need for fostering. We have a trailer, hay, plenty of empty run-out stalls in our barn and veterinary care/knowledge.

Feel free to contact us.

Cherie Davis

www.seeingspotsranch.com

This was posted on the Rescue forum and I wanted to make sure everyone reads it.

[SIZE=14pt]I just wanted to let every one know that even the people of bourbon county are being mislead. I had been told that these horses had already been seized from the owner and that they was available for adoption!!! Then Fort Scott wich is 20 miles east of Uniontown had their annual Pioneer Harvest Fiesta parade on September 27th(?), Mr Trembly had his little horse and buggy in the parade. I was so shocked and speechless. Bourbon County is somewhat infamose for their sherriff's department being unable to get things done. Paul Harvey on the rest of the story has even said if you want to committ a crime go to Bourbon County!!!!!![/SIZE]

A list of local numbers you may or may not need or have:

Fort Scott Tribune(there is no Uniontown paper)620-223-1460 6 E. Wall Fort Scott, KS 66701;

Animal Care Center, Dr. Yoland Grey 601 E 10th Fort Scott 620-223-1770;

Gorman Animal Hospital 1251 240th St.E hwy 54 620-223-1171;

Bill & Lora Holeman 711 Charles Street Bronson, KS(breeds Quarter Horses) 620-939-4347;

Scifers Veterinary Services 1270 190 st. Fort Scott 620-223-5414.

There is also a little town north of Uniontown that is called Devon. Mr Trimble usually brings a couple of his horses to do pony rides for their very small celebration it would have been on Memorial Day.I will check the local paper and see if their have been any recent ads.

The biggest newspaper that has a lot of circulation in Fort Scott and surronding areas would probably be the

Kansas City Star. Web site is www.kcstar.org

hey gini, my offer still stands on using my trailer to help move them, i might even beable to pull it too now. i am now offically moved to MS so where ever just say the word!

Hi Cherie. Welcome to the circus.

If you're interested in fostering you'll need to visit Chances Mini Horse Rescue and complete an application form (they are required to have one on file for ever horse fostered or adopted). Somewhere in this maze of posts they said they are willing to waive the membership fee for any of the Kansas Horses.

Also, about the goats.......I don't believe any of us even knew they were there until Ginny posted her update on page 56. I wouldn't mind having a couple myself.

Thanks for the reminder about filling in forms with the rescue. I know they are in no shape at the moment to travel far or come into colder climate. But I am willing to work with someone further south and eventually getting them up to me for a forever loving home and that includes goats.

I hope the media really is going there and I hope they dont fall for the lies that have been told to everyone else and just leave without really checking!

Also, picketing in Uniontown wont get you a second look. The entire population is about 278 and that includes surrounding areas- Ft. Scott is where the Sheriff's Office is and the biggest population of about 8000.

I have emailed the governors office (again) and several places, including KSU, County attorney, farm bureau, etc.. along with posting on some local groups here in the state and some of those readers have also emailed.

There are other folks in KS with that last name- I checked previously.

Keep it up folks and hope that something starts to roll here on this!!

Bourbon County is somewhat infamose for their sherriff's department being unable to get things done. Paul Harvey on the rest of the story has even said if you want to committ a crime go to Bourbon County!!!!!!
-------------- Then I say Paul Harvey needs to also be contacted. If he knows this for a fact then he would have had to hear it from someone in that area - perhaps he would like to revisit this County. If this happens to bring other things to light , so be it!!!......................................................... On a side note Mary Lou - this additional traffic isn't going to crash our forum is it? :no:

I called the governor's office. Got told to call the sheriff. Called the county commissioners--twice--and got no answer. called the sheriff's office & got the Ft. Scott (?) police department. The sheriff & deputy were out.

Maybe they had to go meet the news crew?

Gad, I hope that when the news crew gets there there's someone for them to talk to besides just the sheriff--some horse person that can give them some truths about horse care.

I don't know Lisa, I do so agree with what you said, about how is it possible that the sheriff's department can just not care like this? It's unbelievable to me too, and yet that seems to be the way it works in so many of these cases. Did anyone else here ever used to read the Cruelty Investigation articles in Horse & Rider magazine? I don't know if they still do these as I haven't read the magazine in years, but back in the early 80's there were stories in there about different cases of horse starvation. One I especially remember was in Idaho--a number of starving big horses, winter time, no feed. When they'd get reported the sheriff would actually call the owner & warn him, and when an investigator got to the property the horses would have hay & water. It took weeks and weeks of legal wrangling before the horses were finally able to be rescued--in fact in that case I think it was more like months, not just weeks, and I don't think that was the first offense for the owners. I never could figure out why on earth the sheriff would aid the abusers that way, and yet it was true--he did. The rescue people finally had to go way over the sheriff's head & get someone to come out from another center--someone who was willing and able to work on their own, without having to follow protocol and involve the local sheriff.

It's tricky, too, if the owner gets some feed in. Just because he gets feed in doesn't mean he actually has to be feeding the horses. I was just talking to a friend here, and she said a farmer near where she lives decided one winter that he just couldn't be bothered to get his butt off the couch and go out to feed his cattle. The cattle were starving, he got reported, the animal care people came out to look and found that there was feed on the place. There wasn't any in with the cows but it was there on the farm. Owner says he's feed the cows, the feed is there...nothing could be done. While it seems perfectly obvious to all of us otherwise that these cows were not being fed enough, if at all, it was possible they were being fed. My friend said that they finally had to have the guy's place under surveillance for days, to be 100% sure that the cows were not being fed at all. Eventually the cows were removed, but it was a long painful process.

The sheriff office is in Ft Scott- there is nothing in Uniontown. It only has a population of 278 people. Ft Scott is the county seat and where everything is located.

The sheriff is just plainly making himself scarce and will just continue this facade that the horses are being cared for.

Dear Sheriff Coleman

I have received the following email about starving horses in your area. This is very disturbing, of course, and I'm wondering what we, in California, can do to help you facilitate the recovery of these horses. Would media coverage help? Should we ask our governor to talk to your governor?

I look forward to your reply.

Michelle Staples

author of Save Your Horse! A Horse Owners Guide to Large Animal Rescue,

and the new "horse basics" CDRom, Horse Awareness and Safety. Available

now at www.redjeansink.com/catalog.html and THE large animal rescue website,

www.saveyourhorse.com

Received this back. MORE ON BOARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back