75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off of the phone with the sheriff's office - Sheriff Coleman was not in so I asked who I would speak with in regards to an animal welfare issue. The deputy sheriff knew exactly what I was talking about and asked if I was referring to the Miniature horses. He told me that they've been getting calls, faxes and emails as far away as England & New Zealand. I said that I know because people all over the world are being enlightened to the plight of these horses, everyone is watching and waiting to see what is done for these animals. He was very quiet.

I was polite, however, I called him on a few things - I was told that there was never an issue of no food, water, etc... the only 'issue' was that the owner did not have enough pasture for all of the horses. My response to that was any animal in this condition is not being properly cared for and whether it is a situation of not enough pasture, food, water, veterinary care or whatever, the condition they are in most certainly constitutes NEGLECT as is highly apparent by their condition. The conditions they're living under are horrendous.

He told me that 2 veterinarians have been out to see the horses and that the owner is following instructions and also that the sheriff's department has been out there almost daily to over-see that he is following instructions. I was told they've all been wormed.......I asked if they've been seen by a farrier. No response. A few times he became dead silent on the other end.

I asked the deputy if he was familiar with the term Hoarding and he had absolutely no idea what that meant. I explained it to him and asked him if the owner was planning to keep all of the Mini's that he's having an issue caring for......he said yes, he owns them. I asked him to familiarize himself with the definition of a 'hoarder'.

I was also told that he's been in contact with the AMHA and he's getting help by the 'right' people now. Someone has offered him pasture and he will be moving some there - I asked if they were going to continue monitoring the situation at the 'new pasture' and he said they would.

I was also told that the horses in the pens are in there because they're in excess of 40 years old and some have cancer. Why is it that I hear 'it's old and has cancer' constantly for excuses of horses being extremely thin. This was the excuse of Limerick's owner, who we successfully prosecuted after proving the horse DID NOT have cancer and was just being starved, plain and simple.

All in all, I honestly do not think they have any clue as to the severity of this situation or they're protecting this owner for whatever reason.

I let him know that the world is watching Bourbon County, KS and will continue watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE it that they are getting faxes from that far away - KEEP IT UP, PEOPLE - WE CANNOT GIVE THEM ANY REST FROM THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crers!

You have been lied to pretty much about mostly everything. They told me and Jess that same line of Bull a week ago.

He told me that 2 veterinarians have been out to see the horses and that the owner is following instructions and also that the sheriff's department has been out there almost daily to over-see that he is following instructions. I was told they've all been wormed

I guess that is their story and they are sticking to it.

That is why Ginny went all that way to confirm the lies.

LIES ALL LIES

Now I am worried that he is going to move them and hide them and we'll never see them again.

12 already have been moved and we do not know where.

We need to get there and fast.

40 years old and have cancer?? All those horses? How on earth can that be?? There were what appeared to be pictures of young horses in those pens.

Ginny.....were there any horses there that you saw in good shape/weight who weren't 40 years old with cancer??

The sheriff's department needs help!! Maybe they are being fed a bunch a bull and don't know enough but to believe what they are being told. If someone is going out there everyday to care for the horses, why didn't they have any water when Ginny was there? Why did they all rush to the buckets to get water? My horses don't empty their entire water troughs in a day. Those horses were thirsty which tells me that no one gave them water that particular day or the day prior.

Keep those emails/calls/faxes going. Flood their office with paper!!!

Thank you for your report. It isn't difficult to see that those people are more concerned about Vern Trembly then they are about a herd of malnourished horses. I just can't understand how they can say they go there every day and find things all hunky dorey!! They too seem to need their heads examed! So good to see how the attention from across the world is getting to their office. Mary

I just got off of the phone with the sheriff's office - Sheriff Coleman was not in so I asked who I would speak with in regards to an animal welfare issue. The deputy sheriff knew exactly what I was talking about and asked if I was referring to the Miniature horses. He told me that they've been getting calls, faxes and emails as far away as England & New Zealand. I said that I know because people all over the world are being enlightened to the plight of these horses, everyone is watching and waiting to see what is done for these animals. He was very quiet.

I was polite, however, I called him on a few things - I was told that there was never an issue of no food, water, etc... the only 'issue' was that the owner did not have enough pasture for all of the horses. My response to that was any animal in this condition is not being properly cared for and whether it is a situation of not enough pasture, food, water, veterinary care or whatever, the condition they are in most certainly constitutes NEGLECT as is highly apparent by their condition. The conditions they're living under are horrendous.

He told me that 2 veterinarians have been out to see the horses and that the owner is following instructions and also that the sheriff's department has been out there almost daily to over-see that he is following instructions. I was told they've all been wormed.......I asked if they've been seen by a farrier. No response. A few times he became dead silent on the other end.

I asked the deputy if he was familiar with the term Hoarding and he had absolutely no idea what that meant. I explained it to him and asked him if the owner was planning to keep all of the Mini's that he's having an issue caring for......he said yes, he owns them. I asked him to familiarize himself with the definition of a 'hoarder'.

I was also told that he's been in contact with the AMHA and he's getting help by the 'right' people now. Someone has offered him pasture and he will be moving some there - I asked if they were going to continue monitoring the situation at the 'new pasture' and he said they would.

I was also told that the horses in the pens are in there because they're in excess of 40 years old and some have cancer. Why is it that I hear 'it's old and has cancer' constantly for excuses of horses being extremely thin. This was the excuse of Limerick's owner, who we successfully prosecuted after proving the horse DID NOT have cancer and was just being starved, plain and simple.

All in all, I honestly do not think they have any clue as to the severity of this situation or they're protecting this owner for whatever reason.

I let him know that the world is watching Bourbon County, KS and will continue watching.

Better then what he told me.. he is trying to remain polite and did so I will give him that much- however he basically said he believes the photos we are seeing were edited with photo shop or something to make it look like they were there at Vern's property. I ask WHY??? would anyone do that and waste time to pick on this guy out of the blue his response .. to be sensastional

He said 2 vets have been there from there town when I ask who he says he doesnt have names he claims news reporters were there the same day CMHR was and has video to prove horses have clean fresh water and feed and has been out there daily (him not the news crew)

I asked for the name of the vets he said he didnt know who they were strange in a small town on a case with so much interest where they are working with the vets daily on this that they dont know who the vets are

Bottom line is I dont think anyone is going to get anywhere with this guy or anyone in his department. They are backed into a corner with there story and have no intentions of changing it

Last edited:
Is there any sort of oversight committee or something that is responsible for making sure sheriffs are not corrupt? Like some sort of Internal Affairs? If all paths to resolving this lead to the sheriff and if he refuses to do anything is there NO ONE whose job it is to make sure he is doing HIS job????

Cross posted from the rescue forum:

UNKOWN Today, 11:25 AM Post #18

Addiction Free

Group: Members

Member No.: 7599

I just wanted to let every one know that even the people of bourbon county are being mislead. I had been told that these horses had already been seized from the owner and that they was available for adoption!!! Then Fort Scott wich is 20 miles east of Uniontown had their annual Pioneer Harvest Fiesta parade on September 27th(?), Mr Trembly had his little horse and buggy in the parade. I was so shocked and speechless. Bourbon County is somewhat infamose for their sherriff's department being unable to get things done. Paul Harvey on the rest of the story has even said if you want to committ a crime go to Bourbon County!!!!!!

A list of local numbers you may or may not need or have:Fort Scott Tribune(there is no Uniontown paper)620-223-1460 6 E. Wall Fort Scott, KS 66701;Animal Care Center, Dr. Yoland Grey 601 E 10th Fort Scott 620-223-1770; Gorman Animal Hospital 1251 240th St.E hwy 54 620-223-1171; Bill & Lora Holeman 711 Charles Street Bronson, KS(breeds Quarter Horses) 620-939-4347;Scifers Veterinary Services 1270 190 st. Fort Scott 620-223-5414. There is also a little town north of Uniontown that is called Devon. Mr Trimble usually brings a couple of his horses to do pony rides for their very small celebration it would have been on Memorial Day.I will check the local paper and see if their have been any recent ads. The biggest newspaper that has a lot of circulation in Fort Scott and surronding areas would probably be the Kansas City Star. Web site is www.kcstar.org

I just got off the phone with Deputy Case and although I was polite to him, he was obviously irritated. I left my name and phone number for Sheriff Coleman to call me back. He actually got rather rude with me.

I also told Deputy Case that I assumed he had records of every visit and action taken in this case, and he assured me he did. Question for Vicki: are we able to get this information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?

One reminder to everyone:

Keep detailed records of all your communication--Dates, Times, Names

This will be important as the media needs facts; so do the attorneys.

:aktion033: Great idea Renee.

default_pray.gif
:
default_please.gif
: Susan please give Susans idea a try.

Even if you only get him to surrender one mini, thats one less suffering little soul. (for now)

Karen

Australia

Loads of Faxes, emails ect... are being sent from here in Australia to Harold Coleman and every other Dept we can think of.

Ginny.....were there any horses there that you saw in good shape/weight who weren't 40 years old with cancer??
I see that Ginny is not on here so I will tell you what she told me and then she will be on a little later if she wants to add to that. She said that there were a few, maybe 10, that were a little larger and stronger that didn't look bad. They would be the ones that eat/drink first and possibly chase the weaker ones off I'm sure.

By the way, remember the horse skull in the most recent pictures? Those were not the teeth of a 40 year old horse. Perhaps a younger horse that simply wasn't fed enough to survive...

I just cross-posted this request for help to a number of big horse BBs, hopefully it will help generate some further assistance in this matter. The BBs I posted to:

Ultimate Dressage

Chronicle of the Horse

Parelli Savvy Club

No Worries Club

John Lyons

Hopefully this will exponentially increase the number of participants in the effort.

Okay, it looks like hopefully we are starting to irritate the deputy... :bgrin I have crossed posted this and emailed everyone in my address book too.

Now it appears there might be some new links, emails and phone numbers...
default_unsure.png
: so hopefully all this new contact information wont get "lost" and will be added to the pinned topic.
default_wink.png
:

Oh is it okay if someone adds the "form" letters to the pinned topic.

My phone calls will start tommorrow, emails are going today and some went yesterday...... :bgrin

Great idea to get the 4-H and kids involved! After All they are OUR FUTURE!!! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

I also hope that he does not move them..... :no:

KEEP IT UP.....I BELIEVE THEY ARE HEARING US NOW!!! :lol:

Jeri

The skull picture has me thinking. If a horse died on the property and the skull is still there, that means the carcass was left to rot in the Kansas heat. This is prime breeding ground for disease.

I tried emailing the State Veterinarian of Kansas, George Teagarden, since he said he only can get involved if there was a disease in the herd (or something to that effect) but the email addy posted in the links thread doesnt work. Would the EPA be able to help in this case?

Our veterinarian in KS (another county) said to contact the Bourbon County Animal Control officer! I finally located her phone number and here is the contact information:::

Jolene Smith of Ft Scott

1-620-223-1700

ask for the animal control officer

I have left a voice message, as she was on the phone.

Peggy

NW KS

www.albahurst.com

Edit- I got through to her office and was referred back to the Sheriff. I will call the county commisioners. Thank you.

I would probably start calling Jthe county commisioners. They meet on Monday and Friday. Their number is 620-223-3800.They work from 8 a.m. central till 3:00 p.m. Jolene Smith is just employeed by the city. She is the Fort Scott City aco. No county authority.

I'm sure some of you all have thought of this but as the deputy & sheriff get more & more agitated & the heat turns up, Vern might get help through them to relocate the horses to an undisclosed location receiving the same lack of care........... This way the sheriff & deputy will have gotten the easy way out & will not have to be held accountable for their inaction & lies. If the horses remain where they are they know they will have to do something to save face when / if the media decides to put them on the spot.

I would probably start calling Jthe county commisioners. They meet on Monday and Friday. Their number is 620-223-3800.They work from 8 a.m. central till 3:00 p.m. Jolene Smith is just employeed by the city. She is the Fort Scott City aco. No county authority.
Gini

Sorry if you are being inundated with calls but I did not know who else to refer to. The ABC affiliate in Joplin, Mo is going to call you- Stewart Price - If you miss his call his cell phone # is 417-317-0683. He has watched the Youtube presentation and has tried to call the sheriff. “Not in the office today” He is waiting for the under sheriff to call him back.

Thanks for your help Gini!

Faye Nobles

WE ARE WOMEN (in most cases) LET US ROAR

IN NUMBERS TOO BIG TO IGNORE ! ! !

Thank you for the posts from those of you who have contacted the sheriff's office. I love it that the deputy was amazed at the messages from other countries. I think this is gonna get a whole lot bigger than any of them want it to.

As far as asking someone to go out there with camera, etc.. and monitor what's going on is concerned. I would worry about legal action being taken against them. There are, after all, tresspass laws. We know people there are not happy about all this notariety. Anyone who goes there without either Mr. Trembly or the Sheriff's permission could very well be arrested..........or worse.

that was my post and I just joined the forumn today. I just know that sometimes the commisioners office can get something done!!!!Sorry if I confused somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back