75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gini. You do give some hope! Mary

The only word that we have had on a Vet being at the Farm is from the Sheriff! The info on a couple of old minis having cancer is again from the Sheriff. Do I personally believe the Sheriff, I honestly don't know. I would like to.

Other rescues are starting to offer assistance to us, mainly the big horses rescues in KS and an advisor from the Idaho Rescue. Hopefully those of them that have been involved in huge rescues like this and know the proper people, friends, contacts etc to make will come through for the minis. They are out there now making contact. As of right now, I am told that an Animal Control Officer in a large Kansas City (who is a horse person) will be going out there soon in person so we can get a first hand report and see what is actually being/not being done. That truthfully is all I know right now.

Pictures coming later.

Ginny

I did call the Governors Office. They said they had not heard about this. What I told them was that Supposedly the sheriff and a vet went out there. I told her the Sheriff gave the owner 30 days to improve the horses. I said that On the thread it stated that the Sheriff is going out and feeding the horses not the owner. I told them that it was the Sheriff that told a reporter that the horses were thin because of cancer not neglect. I then gave my opinion that if there are horses with cancer in that pasture there is a potential EPA problem and potential harm to the community. This is what needs to be told to the officials. If another group takes over or if they want to work with CMHR then so be it. The main thing is that the horses get help. Not who GETS to help.

Ginny,

The media is telling US that the deputy in KS told THEM that the horses had cancer and that is why they looked like that!!! Obviously the news people are being told things to make them 'shut up and go away', and CMHR is being told something else!!!

Did ANYone from the deputies office or the 'mystical vet' say anything to CMHR about these horses having cancer or being 'old' and that was why they are in this condition?

Ookaaaay, I've been reading this thread but not posting anything up to now--I do know something about how rescue attempts like this go and for a bit there it seemed like this was going okay. If the sheriff was supervising the feeding of these Minis, that was okay. I'm not surprised that someone warned the owner that he was in danger of losing at least 53 of his horses because of the fact that he had too many for the land he owns--that's an obvious risk of going public in a big way prior to having the authorities look the situation over. A surprise visit it always much better than one the owner has been warned about & has had time to prepare for. Doesn't sound like this guy prepared by getting his horses fed, he just went & started dealing on some extra land. So, it doesn't surprise me either than he was given 30 days to get things in order. I don't like it, but that's generally how it works unless there are horses actually down.

I would be surprised if after 30 days these horses were to continue to be cared for properly--just because of the fact that the owner is older, doesn't live on site, has no way to get out there daily to care for them, cannot handle the hauling of feed...and is apparently not real interested in hiring someone to do the work for him. Still, I was hoping that at the end of 30 days there would still be someone (like the sheriff) watching over the situation, and that he would pursue the matter of having the horses removed if/when they are no longer being cared for.

I am a little frightened now by these e-mails some have received from KOAM. It seems like the sheriff might be trying to sweep this under the run and pretend that it isn't really an issue. Maybe he really is on top of things and just doesn't want a big hoopla in the media? But I am not counting on that. I just phoned the number given for Jordan; it is the main phone at KOAM, and I asked for him, then for Stephanie Marsh who is the morning producer (who isn't in this late in the day) and finally got put through to the newsroom. The newsroom has been getting many calls on the Uniontown Minis. The newsroom is not interested in taking this any further. They have been told by the sheriff that there isn't a problem, the horses have been seen by a veterinarian & are under his care, they are old & have cancer and there isn't anything to be done, and if the sheriff says it is so, then it must be so. The sheriff would not lie. I asked the gal if she had ever had anything to do with any horse rescues, and she said yes, several in the local area. They were all old, cancerous horses. That's what the vet diagnosed, and therefore it is true.

I asked her if anyone at KOAM had actually talked to the veterinarian. She said no, only to the sheriff, and they believe the sheriff, why would he lie? I told her I really don't know, there could be a number of reasons, but what I do know is that not all of those horses are old and/or have cancer. Those are starving horses. Well, she said, that's not the information we have. I said "and you aren't interested in looking any deeper than that are you?" and she responded with "why would we?" The sheriff has spoken and that is good enough for the newsroom. Obviously they do not have an investigative reporter, at least not one that is interested in helping horses. I am very disappointed in the media. I really thought there was more interest in helping animals in need, but the media just does not want to go there.

Well this sure sounds like something for 60 Minutes or 20/20 or some other network news investigation. Just keep in mind - John Stossell (sp?) one of those investigative reporters on one or the other of those shows, has said on the air that he doesn't care for animals. So he sure wouldn't be the one to talk to!

But what those in-depth investigations seem to really like to dig the dirt on is (1) local law enforcement protecting the bad guys and (2) local media protecting local law enforcement and (3) the bad guys winning until the investigative reporters take them down and embarrass them nationally. Even in the Michael Vick case the FBI had to step in because local police were dragging their feet and local media was downplaying it. Not til national media and national law enforcement got wind of it was something actually done.

What I'm trying not very well to say is this: this is no longer just about a group of starved horses. This is also about elected officials not doing their job in upholding laws that a lot of people care about and worked very hard to get on the books. And it's about those same officials telling their own "version" of the story (disinformation? or spin?) to those looking to shine some hard light on the situation, to keep them from doing so. This is about taxpayer dollars maybe being misused in the service of those officials covering their sorry heinies. And worst of all it is about dozens of concerned citizens being STONEWALLED in their united effort to get some positive results out of a very bad situation.

I just wonder what other crimes this Sheriff would let go -- because he seems to be the the only one in charge of that county and if it's his personal decision and directive as to what gets dealt with (truthfully or not) and what's allowed to slide on by. Somehow I had a better concept of democracy than that. I guess I don't know enough about small towns - are most of them run by a sole decision-maker? Is he really the only one there who decides what the law is and whether it needs upholding?

I'd sure be interested to know whether Vern Trembly had previous horse "issues" in Colorado and then maybe moved to Kansas to be able to start hoarding all over again - like maybe investigated or even charged in Colorado with horse neglect? Anyone in Colorado that could check court records in his former county (he apparently lived in the town of Wray). If he is hoarding in Kansas he probably was hoarding before he got to Kansas. Just a thought. Hoarders who get in trouble in one state often move to another to be able to continue hoarding. We had one out here - she had over 600 dogs and cats, got in lots of trouble over it and then moved just 10 miles over the state line and darned if she didn't start right up again causing more animals to suffer and die before she finally got stopped.

Have you contacted 60 minutes and others to ask if they would look into this? Would you if you haven't? Mary

Well this sure sounds like something for 60 Minutes or 20/20 or some other network news investigation. Just keep in mind - John Stossell (sp?) one of those investigative reporters on one or the other of those shows, has said on the air that he doesn't care for animals. So he sure wouldn't be the one to talk to!

But what those in-depth investigations seem to really like to dig the dirt on is (1) local law enforcement protecting the bad guys and (2) local media protecting local law enforcement and (3) the bad guys winning until the investigative reporters take them down and embarrass them nationally. Even in the Michael Vick case the FBI had to step in because local police were dragging their feet and local media was downplaying it. Not til national media and national law enforcement got wind of it was something actually done.

What I'm trying not very well to say is this: this is no longer just about a group of starved horses. This is also about elected officials not doing their job in upholding laws that a lot of people care about and worked very hard to get on the books. And it's about those same officials telling their own "version" of the story (disinformation? or spin?) to those looking to shine some hard light on the situation, to keep them from doing so. This is about taxpayer dollars maybe being misused in the service of those officials covering their sorry heinies. And worst of all it is about dozens of concerned citizens being STONEWALLED in their united effort to get some positive results out of a very bad situation.

I just wonder what other crimes this Sheriff would let go -- because he seems to be the the only one in charge of that county and if it's his personal decision and directive as to what gets dealt with (truthfully or not) and what's allowed to slide on by. Somehow I had a better concept of democracy than that. I guess I don't know enough about small towns - are most of them run by a sole decision-maker? Is he really the only one there who decides what the law is and whether it needs upholding?

I'd sure be interested to know whether Vern Trembly had previous horse "issues" in Colorado and then maybe moved to Kansas to be able to start hoarding all over again - like maybe investigated or even charged in Colorado with horse neglect? Anyone in Colorado that could check court records in his former county (he apparently lived in the town of Wray). If he is hoarding in Kansas he probably was hoarding before he got to Kansas. Just a thought. Hoarders who get in trouble in one state often move to another to be able to continue hoarding. We had one out here - she had over 600 dogs and cats, got in lots of trouble over it and then moved just 10 miles over the state line and darned if she didn't start right up again causing more animals to suffer and die before she finally got stopped.

I have contacted ABC and they have gotten back with me 2x's. In case they want more info from me would someone from CMHR get me their phone number that I can give them so they can get the info from you guys that are a bit more in the know then I am. Also the Governors office might need to talk to you all.

I know Martha Stewart has mini donks. Do we know any other celebrity with their own show who has minis? If Oprah has them (we do know she's an animal lover) Lisa Lee (maybe Lisa Ling) might do an investigative report for the show. Hardly as exotic as the places Lisa usually goes, but might be something to think about.

Having said that......I'm trying to analyze what Ginny says. I wonder if, in a very nice way, she's trying to ask us to back off with the media contacts and let CMHR handle it? The fact that an animal control officer (especially one who knows horses) out of Kansas City is going to visit Unionville is great news.

:new_shocked: For those asking about small county enforcement. No, I can personally say, it is NOT appropriately cared for on certain instances.

I live in a very small county and some issues escalate while others aren't important...all depends on who is in charge at the time and who it called it in.

They get their favorites to pick on and others that don't have that position of authority or large social class only get the breeze in the wind.

So yes, it is a good possibility this is getting shoved under a rug, per the unimportance to the people trying to fix the problem.

I agree with the previous post about getting onto the trouble makers so they shutup instead of actually dealing with the problem reported. That does happen alot in a small county.

I was told personally things about the law enforcement by someone that lives extremely close to there, and it wasn't a very promising encouragement for a serious interest.
default_sad.png

As per the statement with the newsroom, that is typical too, cause in a small area, everyone knows everyone, and if they are all intwinded then they are going to assume they aren't lying so it can be a waste of time to try and convince them differently. :no:

You might recall that recently on the TV program "The View" Whoopi Goldberg defended Michael Vick's dogfighting activities as being "part of his culture." No doubt Whoopi would suggest that Vern Trembly's "culture" permitted hoarding and neglect of horses because he is located in a farming community. Hey - after all - according to Whoopi they're only animals. Mere property to be disposed of as he wishes.

I am NOT a Whoopi fan and she lost a great deal of her fan base when she defended Vick's dogfighting.

Sorry, I was not aware of her comments in regards to that.

You might recall that recently on the TV program "The View" Whoopi Goldberg defended Michael Vick's dogfighting activities as being "part of his culture." No doubt Whoopi would suggest that Vern Trembly's "culture" permitted hoarding and neglect of horses because he is located in a farming community. Hey - after all - according to Whoopi they're only animals. Mere property to be disposed of as he wishes.

I am NOT a Whoopi fan and she lost a great deal of her fan base when she defended Vick's dogfighting.

The only word that we have had on a Vet being at the Farm is from the Sheriff! The info on a couple of old minis having cancer is again from the Sheriff. Do I personally believe the Sheriff, I honestly don't know. I would like to.

I think I smell a rat.

I'm thinking that I'm getting purdy dang suspicious.

I'm thinking that if this place is small towny, one hands feeds the other and nobody's going to rat fink on thier homies.

All we have is the Sheriff's word that he has fed and watered and hayed the horses this past week and the vet is out there doing wonderous things and they are both on the scene with Mr. T who has now decided to step on up and rescue his own horses, dropping a few grand to bring the little horses up to speed. We are supposed to be resting at ease because the Sherrif rolled up his sleeves and pant leggins and has everything under control.

Is his word good?

I hope so and we're going to find out.

The wheels are still turning.

And that you can count on.

I was asked to post these pictures of some we have.

If these horses don't look like they need help I don't know what to say..

kansas8.jpg

kansas7.jpg

kansas6.jpg

kansas5.jpg

kansas3.jpg

kansas2.jpg

kansas1.jpg

:no: Those poor babies :no: .

Last edited by a moderator:

She did not defend him and even stated she abhors dog fighting. What she said was there are people in some cultures where dog fighting is accepted and can be considered a normal part of their culture. The US consists of many different cultural backgrounds and not all of the areas view things the same way. There are a number of countries where dog fighting is an acceptable form of entertainment. I personally have never understood how dogfighting, co_ck fighting, etc is one bit different from boxing, kickboxing and extreme cage fighting..............I find it it ALL to be equally barbaric and pointless.

As for the situation I can already see where it will go, too many outsiders getting pushy only furthers slows the wheels of justice, this could end up a very long running saga. For those who think HSUS or PETA might help that would be the last thing I would want rabid AR folks who would like to see the end of all domestic animals :no: :no: the mini's would very likely get the needle and they would get more PR moments, after their outright lies during the Vick case I do not know how anyone hasn't figured out what they are up to. :eek: :eek:

Like I said in a earlier post I really think we all need to take a breath and wait till someone from CMHR tells us what they need next- I do think that to many trying to go over this guys head and it will end up hurting the situation

Remember he has friends on this board who are telling him what is being written and what is going on- I can bet you at this point the sheriff himself is reading this and all of this can be very counter productive

Any vet who truly believes these horses are not in immenint danger (not a one)got his diploma from the back of a comic book but that aside while we are all angry and upset I think we really need to look to the BOD at CMHR to tell us what and when they need us to get involved

NEWS UPDATE:

As of this evening, we have just learned that TV Channel KWCH Channel 12 has agreed to

look into this story. This can happen as early as tomorrow or

sometime this weekend.

Let's hope this does not fall through. I do not see that happening.

We still have others in authority that are supposed to arrive on the scene also, and hopefully they will get

there as early as tomorrow.

We promise you updates as we get them and are allowed to release them.

Just please bear with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is good to know Marty. I sent the last pictures posted to the governors office too. Lets hope something gets done now. I think if we had all the pictures from the start we might have had an easier time getting help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back