75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how to contact the EPA? If there are that many horses with cancer then there is something wrong with his property and it could be leaking into the human water supply. If her has to clean the property he will have to remove the property while it is being cleaned and it took 6months for each home in Murry, UT. If they want to cry cancer lets call them on it.

http://www.epa.gov/rgytgrnj/contact.htm Here is a link for the KS region for the EPA. If people sent an email asking them to check this area because the Sheriff says the horses have cancer, maybe it would force them to TELL THE TRUTH. I would love the EPA out there MAKING them clean up that farm.

Someone needs to call their bluff and I agree that SO MANY horses having cancer is an environmental hazard. Mary (buckskin gal) my reply was copied and pasted- same exact verbiage that yours was. Ah, I see my new post was moved here on this one. I had time to contact one other group yesterday, but will get back at it tonight after work, and I will keep looking.

Here's a link for the EPA

http://www.epa.gov/

Perhaps they would like to see his farm listed under the 'Regional News' there at the bottom of the page

KS Highest percentage of cancer ever reported, all residents evacuated

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how to contact the EPA? If there are that many horses with cancer then there is something wrong with his property and it could be leaking into the human water supply. If her has to clean the property he will have to remove the property while it is being cleaned and it took 6months for each home in Murry, UT. If they want to cry cancer lets call them on it.
Very good point! Just think of all the innocent children that may be effected by what ever agent is causing the cancer in the horses!

Kansas is in Region 7 of the EPA

Here is more specific info- I would certainly worry about the 280 people that reside there! Had another thought- wonder if the sheriff and Mr. Trembly are cousins, twice removed or something?

Region 7 (MO, KS, IA, NB)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 7

Toxics and Pesticides Branch (TOPE),

726 Minnesota Ave.

Kansas City, KS 66101

(913) 551-7020

Time to light up the phone lines, folks.

Reporters who don't want to do anything about a story just send form e-mails out. E-mailing isn't going to do the trick. They will just put up the spam filters, or not respond (like they did to my e-mails) or send something written by their intern and passed on by their legal department.

They need to have it emphasized to them that if there is a cancer cluster there is an environmental danger to humans. They need to have it emphasized to them that the Sheriff of that county is not adequately performing his duties and may be mis-using taxpayer dollars. They need to have it emphasized to them that fall is West Nile season and that the garbage on the property is an enticing breeding ground for the West Nile mosquito - which means humans are in danger too!

And don't just phone the reporters. Call their editors too. Reporters are given an awful lot of leeway what they report on in either TV or print.

I'm doing this, hope some others can too. Long distance calls are expensive but if you buy one of the prepaid $20 cards at the warehouse shopping stores (in my area, it's "Costco") you get over 600 minutes for your twenty bucks. That really helps the budget if you're trying to shake loose the media on a story they'd prefer to ignore!

I would like to know WHAT vet attended these horses (or is this more blowing smoke?) and see the report filed. Has anyone from CMHR spoken with or know who this was?

Here is also the information to the Kansas Governors office - Gov. Kathleen Sebelius

Contact the Governor

Office of the Governor

Capitol, 300 SW 10th Ave., Ste. 212S

Topeka, KS 66612-1590

Voice 1-877-KSWORKS (1-877-579-6757)

Local 785-296-3232

deleted post... Sorry... Just thought that more attention may be better even though I am not a fan of that group at all. :no:

Please be very, very careful and research the issue of others' experiences with this organization very, very carefully before getting PETA involved. They have a different agenda than rescuers do and there are stories online from individuals and rescue groups that got that organization involved with results very much different than what the rescues actually sought. Each person considering this should research and make up their own mind. Keep in mind your goal of rescuing and re-homing these horses and understand that there are some organizations out there with other plans that fit with their own missions that may not be the same as yours.

Is anyone able to get a video of the horses and actually take it to the local TV stations? Maybe then they would pay attention. I hate to be so cynical but it would sure get viewers' attention to see a same-day video on the six o'clock news!

I would avoid them too- it appears to me that a majority of them may be candidates for their state mental health facilities. Medications can work wonders nowadays, but can't cure everything!

I would contact the Governors office and the EPA. Still concerned as to weather a vet REALLY went out there or is this just more smoke being blown by the local deputy.

If you are concerned about long distance, If you have a cell phone use it. I never use all my minutes and I figure these horses are worth it. As long as the horses get taken care of I don't mind if I can't help out there. At least I can help man the phone lines. Just let me know where else I can help and if I come up with anything else I will let you know. ABC has contacted me twice. I hope they do something.

I guess I am more left wondering what CMHR feels and what they have heard from the area? I know they said they had some info they could not give out at that time and I wonder if doing all of this will be counter productive to whatever (if anything) is going on behind the scenes?

can someone from CMHR please advise?

I have been sick and not on, but my husband has been reading about this situation. There are so many posts and I don't want to miss anything or misquote anything so could someone directly involved send me a timeline and details about everything? I do have a family member in TV news in Kansas City. I won't promise anything, but I will do my best to get him involved if I have some details to send him. He is an anchor so should have some pull with the station.

My email is [email protected]

I think by contacting news agencies [and CMHR has asked us to write to save these little guys..that is the heading of this thread] we might expose this type of situation and if something is done just maybe it will help open some eyes as to how ownership must claim responsibility. I hope it also helps others consider what they might need to do for proper care of miniature horses. Of course different people will see this in different ways ....if it is, as the reporter says the sherrif stated, we need to be more concerned than ever, for maybe there is something on that place that is causing cancer in the animals.....this could cause cancer to people also. Cancer is a scarey word be it for horses or humans....checking this all out, I feel, is very much needed and we can onlydo it as best we can. mary

I guess I am more left wondering what CMHR feels and what they have heard from the area? I know they said they had some info they could not give out at that time and I wonder if doing all of this will be counter productive to whatever (if anything) is going on behind the scenes?

can someone from CMHR please advise?

I have been sick and not on, but my husband has been reading about this situation. There are so many posts and I don't want to miss anything or misquote anything so could someone directly involved send me a timeline and details about everything? I do have a family member in TV news in Kansas City. I won't promise anything, but I will do my best to get him involved if I have some details to send him. He is an anchor so should have some pull with the station.
My email is [email protected]
OMGod! Julie, this is an excellent idea!!! CMHR, please contact Julie directly so she gets the real facts and can forward them. It just may work!!

I am getting a little afraid at the way some of these comments are going. One statement about the gelding possibly having cancer seems to have spread to the whole herd. Speculations are getting way off the chart. CMHR has not stopped trying to get these minis. We are just persuing other avenues. There are more pictures of these minis and they have been sent to other Government Offices dealing with Animal Cruelty, to the EPA, to contacts within HSUS etc. We are getting responses back, positive ones. If everyone jumps on the bandwagon, some of these people may back off. So I'm not saying not to contact anyone you choose, just PLEASE be polite when you and do NOT accuse anyone of wrongdoing until all the facts are in. We are trying our hardest for these minis and I'm starting to see some light. I for one do not want to go there in winter to rescue them, but NOW. This is a public forum and you can say anything you want WITHIN REASON. If you do not know the facts do not post them here as such. It only makes our job that much more harder.

All the pictures will be posted here later today so you can all see what we have been looking at. They are pretty much a duplicate of what you have already seen. Just more of it. There are 15 minis total in the picturesand all are in need of help. I can only assume the rest are like that, despite what the Sheriff tells us. This however, is my OWN OPINION.

Thanks to all who have donated leads, halters, wormers, money etc. My gut feeling is still that they still will all be used for the KS Minis.

Thank you,

Ginny St Pierre, President CMHR

I do think we need to read carefully. Gini, do you know if there is a vet out there and if it is true as to some of these minis having cancer? If you can give us hope by telling us as much as possible of the baby steps you are taking in success, we really would appreciate it. I do understand that there are some that know a lot more than what has been said on here..just helps others if they hear of the progress. thanks, Mary

I am getting a little afraid at the way some of these comments are going. One statement about the gelding possibly having cancer seems to have spread to the whole herd. Speculations are getting way off the chart. CMHR has not stopped trying to get these minis. We are just persuing other avenues. There are more pictures of these minis and they have been sent to other Government Offices dealing with Animal Cruelty, to the EPA, to contacts within HSUS etc. We are getting responses back, positive ones. If everyone jumps on the bandwagon, some of these people may back off. So I'm not saying not to contact anyone you choose, just PLEASE be polite when you and do NOT accuse anyone of wrongdoing until all the facts are in. We are trying our hardest for these minis and I'm starting to see some light. I for one do not want to go there in winter to rescue them, but NOW. This is a public forum and you can say anything you want WITHIN REASON. If you do not know the facts do not post them here as such. It only makes our job that much more harder.

All the pictures will be posted here later today so you can all see what we have been looking at. They are pretty much a duplicate of what you have already seen. Just more of it. There are 15 minis total in the picturesand all are in need of help. I can only assume the rest are like that, despite what the Sheriff tells us. This however, is my OWN OPINION.

Thanks to all who have donated leads, halters, wormers, money etc. My gut feeling is still that they still will all be used for the KS Minis.

Thank you,

Ginny St Pierre, President CMHR

The only word that we have had on a Vet being at the Farm is from the Sheriff! The info on a couple of old minis having cancer is again from the Sheriff. Do I personally believe the Sheriff, I honestly don't know. I would like to.

Other rescues are starting to offer assistance to us, mainly the big horses rescues in KS and an advisor from the Idaho Rescue. Hopefully those of them that have been involved in huge rescues like this and know the proper people, friends, contacts etc to make will come through for the minis. They are out there now making contact. As of right now, I am told that an Animal Control Officer in a large Kansas City (who is a horse person) will be going out there soon in person so we can get a first hand report and see what is actually being/not being done. That truthfully is all I know right now.

Pictures coming later.

Ginny

I believe the cancer comment was from the reporter at KOAM-TV, one Jorden Aubey, who wrote a letter pasted into posting No. 444, given directly to that by the Bourbon County Sheriff's office, a deputy. I looked at that post again to check Aubey's letter and didn't see anything about "one gelding."

The point is well taken -- that things are bad enough without exaggerating.

However, it seems as though the red flag of cancer in this herd was relayed to this group via a television reporter quoting what was actually stated to that reporter by the Sheriff's office.

But even "cancer" isn't any excuse for these horses' condition. Cancer is seldom seen in horses except for melanoma, mostly in grays (happens in all mammals with the gray gene) and even then not all melanomas are malignant, and even if malignant many horses outlive these usually slow-growing cancers. And "wasting away to nothing" doesn't happen in equine cancer cases as fast as it does in humans (not to belabor a very grim topic). That is one of the reasons it is so hard to diagnose in horses. I had a horse in the 80's with cancer of the omentum but it was determined only on post mortem exam. He never wasted away to a skeleton, he never looked or acted sick until two weeks before the end, his organs simply failed. The examining vet who did the PM said based on the level of cancerous growths inside this horse he had probably been growing his tumors for many years.

And if there is a single horse, or multiple horses with cancer in the Trembly herd, who made that diagnosis, what is the prognosis, and what treatment (even palliative care or hospice care) is being given to comfort that horse (singular or plural?). It seems to me to be an awfully handy excuse grabbed off the shelf to put off a nosy reporter....especially when this "excuse" is used by almost every hoarder who has been written up in the news. I'm sure you're all familiar with the script - it goes something like this: "But I WAS feeding him - he just has cancer and he's OLD."

I'm sorry but when I hear that a hoarder or someone sympathetic to the hoarder is using the cancer excuse, my radar really goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back