75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the news agencies that I contacted did send a reply this morning and this is what they had to say:

[Does anyone know about this thing that they are suppose to have cancer and were they being treated for such?]

Thanks for contacting us.

The Bourbon County Sheriff’s Dept. has told me that they have been in contact with a veterinarian. According to them, some of the horses are elderly and/or have cancer. This is why they look like they’ve been neglected. The deputy I talked with assured me that no neglect has been taking place; the man has plenty of food and other necessities for all of the horses. He said the horses with cancer are the closest to where the public can see, but the other horses further back into his property are younger.

Again, the deputy assured me no neglect has been taking place; but please let me know if you see otherwise.

Thanks again. We sincerely appreciate you taking time to contact us and also for your viewership.

Jordan Aubey

Reporter

CBS KOAM-TV/FOX KFJX-TV

Pittsburg, KS/Joplin, MO

[email protected]

[email protected]

(417) 624-0233 Ext. 155

(417) 438-6031

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT letter, if it's contents are true, just MAKES ME SICK!!! :smileypuke:

The Bourbon County Sheriff’s Dept. has told me that they have been in contact with a veterinarian. According to them, some of the horses are elderly and/or have cancer. This is why they look like they’ve been neglected. The deputy I talked with assured me that no neglect has been taking place; the man has plenty of food and other necessities for all of the horses. He said the horses with cancer are the closest to where the public can see, but the other horses further back into his property are younger.

Again, the deputy assured me no neglect has been taking place; but please let me know if you see otherwise.

Thanks again. We sincerely appreciate you taking time to contact us and also for your viewership.

Jordan Aubey

Reporter

CBS KOAM-TV/FOX KFJX-TV

Pittsburg, KS/Joplin, MO

[email protected]

[email protected]

(417) 624-0233 Ext. 155

(417) 438-6031

WHAT????!!!! :no:

If some of the horses have cancer and the rest are fine, then why are there posts that say the veterinarian will not issue health certificates for any of the horses????

This all goes against the posts that members of CMHR made!

I smell something "fishy" here!

Did you direct the news agent to the posts made by CMHR officials??? Definately some type of coverup happening! If those horses with cancer are that ill, then they should have been under direct vet supervision and things like feet trimming and deworming and vaccines should be up to date. URGG!!!

The only way we would know if it is true or not is to have someone talk with the verterinarian that is suppose to be tending to them. If those horses do have cancer and are suffering, the least they could do is give them the dignity of being put down humanely. I am sure there is a chance that one law officer is protecting another and if they have not seen the situation for themselves they are only passing along what the other said. God, what are we to believe? Mary

Yep, it just doesn't seem to add up! I did send the link to Lil Beg forum so they could read what has been said! Please people, do help out by contacting news agencies or anyone else that may have information about this situation...we do want the truth! Mary

WHAT????!!!! :no:

If some of the horses have cancer and the rest are fine, then why are there posts that say the veterinarian will not issue health certificates for any of the horses????

This all goes against the posts that members of CMHR made!

I smell something "fishy" here!

Did you direct the news agent to the posts made by CMHR officials??? Definately some type of coverup happening! If those horses with cancer are that ill, then they should have been under direct vet supervision and things like feet trimming and deworming and vaccines should be up to date. URGG!!!

Notice how that letter stated the horses were old "AND/OR" had cancer. So yes, they are old, but that is NO EXCUSE for them to be in that POOR CONDITION!!!! This SICKENS ME!! Some of you folks like Nootka that also have OLD horses need to send that guy photos to show what kind of shape OLD horses SHOULD be in!!!!!

Seems pretty obvious that, because of what the sheriff told Ginny about 30 days, there's something going on. Also they wouldn't be under the state veteraniarians care if nothing was wrong. Sounds like they're white-washing it for the media. :no: Grrrrrrrrrr

OK, here a few more thoughts. IF these horses do in fact HAVE cancer and are in such POOR condition BECAUSE OF THE CANCER, then they are suffering the effects of cancer and should be/should have been humanely euthanized, and NOT left to suffer!!! If these horses were not even being fed or watered or tended to on a daily basis, I doubt very much they are being helped/treated for cancer!! AND, IF this is true about the cancer in these horses, when, how and by whom were they diganosed???? They likely got cancer from living in what APPEARS to be some hazardous waste material JUNK YARD!!

Oh, my....sounds like the reporter has been fed a line of BULL----!

I would surely like to hear the PROOF that any of the horses 'has cancer'-which ones, and when were they diagnosed by a vet? Is the State Vet doing tests to determine this, at taxpayers' expense(I think this is HIGHLY unlikely!)Are they being treated, or at the least, being given extra supportive care???

As to being elderly--well, I have a 25 YO miniature mare here. Yes, she is finally starting to show her age-hipbones a BIT more noticable, back a little dropped. I run my hands over her DAILY, to keep a close assessment of her true condition(especially as she gets hairier!). She is on Triple Crown Senior; I recently upped the amount gradually--GOOD alfalfa, and grass, at each feeding. She saw the vet recently to have her teeth checked(they had a full float just a year ago; he said she wasn't quite at the point of needing another, but instructed me to keep an close eye on her, and bring her back before spring if needed). She is still lively and vigorous--but to me, if they're elderly, it means they need MORE close care and attention--not being left to their own devices for no telling how long at a stretch! Those who've read this entire thread may recall what I said about this gentleman's reputation of keeping mares--perhaps he indeed DOES have horses that are elderly--but this is not a 'reason' for them to look as most do in the original photos!!

Like Mona said--this ticks me off, big time...this sounds like a pack of 'excuses'(not 'reasons')! I have no doubt that CMHR will soon again be needed...It's not at ALL surprising, sad to say.

(I have my donation on the counter to take down to the mail box. It is for wherever it is needed.)

Margo

As many in rescue are aware, the "cancer" card is played frequently by hoarders as an "excuse" for why an animal is a walking anatomy lesson. Don't believe it for one minute! Shame on the media who gave that glib reply. Someone earlier said there's a "good ol' boy" scenario going on here and at this point I'd have to agree. Disgraceful, disgusting, and disheartening.

Cancer - what a JOKE!! Seriously - how do that many horses in one herd end up with cancer??? And old age - again - that is NO excuse! Many old horses continue to be easy keepers. And those that don't either need a little assistance to keep them going or they need to be humanely put down!

It would have to take extreme neglect to get horses in this shape! Especially our minis. How many of us have minis that practically seem to live on air - looking at food makes them chubby!

I thought I was over being mad about this (oh, who am I kidding - no I wasn't!) but this is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. :no:

Jordan Aubey

Reporter

CBS KOAM-TV/FOX KFJX-TV

Pittsburg, KS/Joplin, MO

[email protected]

[email protected]

(417) 624-0233 Ext. 155

(417) 438-6031

So Mary -

Have you replied to this reporter Jorden Aubey and let them know that you DO SEE OTHERWISE?? And that if they have ANYone at there station who has any experience with equines to please show them the pictures and get their opinion?

Oh I am just FUMING right now!!!!!!!!!

So Mary -

Have you replied to this reporter Jorden Aubey and let them know that you DO SEE OTHERWISE?? And that if they have ANYone at there station who has any experience with equines to please show them the pictures and get their opinion?

Oh I am just FUMING right now!!!!!!!!!
No, as of now, I have not replied back to the reporter ...if that reporter is going to believe the Sherrif after reading the thread on this situation I doubt he cares enough to pursue it....maybe more people contacting the news agencies will give them a kick in the butt...will you help do that? Mary

OMG!!! I'm having deja vu.

I went through a similar situation three years ago where the owner of the horses I rescued (and all his boarders) said the three horses were just "old"--in their 30s. Well, to make a very long saga short, the horses were in their 20s, their teeth were deplorable (I have lots of disgusting photos of before my vet did their teeth--1 1/2" long hooks where one horse couldn't close his mouth straight, and another with a cracked, abscessed tooth that was so badly infected we almost lost him.) I got the media involved--after the Humane Society refused to take action other than to issue a warning--and the reporter stuck with the story. It turned out to be a good one for her as she discovered that the owner and the Asst. District Attorney that had been assigned to the case, were good buddies who did team penning together and were both in the Cattlemen's Assn. That was all made very public in the papers and then the D.A.s office got serious. That D.A. was kicked off the case and the special investigator got involved. However, not surprisingly in the end, they did not file charges but the City Council terminated the owner's agreement with the city (he was running the public facility) and 25+ years of neglect finally came to an end. The D.A. office won't file charges unless they feel like they can win the case, and with animal neglect/abuse laws so lenient, they don't want to waste their time.

So, I am always skeptical (and sadly, cynical) with the "good ol' boy" networks because I have seen it in our large city of 100,000+ people. I'm sure a small town is worse.

I will be contacting the reporter with my story along with the photographs of the horses I rescued and any other information he might want. It might help him see that the "old horses" excuse is just that--an excuse.

Whew! I'll get off my soapbox now. Have to get my blood pressure back down!
default_wacko.png
:

I just know those littl horses will appreciate your help...thank you for caring
default_wub.png
: Mary

I will be contacting the reporter with my story along with the photographs of the horses I rescued and any other information he might want. It might help him see that the "old horses" excuse is just that--an excuse.

Whew! I'll get off my soapbox now. Have to get my blood pressure back down!
default_wacko.png
:

As for quarantine, I understand it. We just had 300 wild horses brought in to the Palomino Valley holding facility. Over 130 have now died changing them from "WILD" feed to "DOMESTIC" feed. Right now they have Palomino Valley locked down tighter than a drum because the horses are sick and they don't know why. They have sighn and yes, even armed guards. When they put up a quarantine here they lock them down so tight a fly can't even get out. As for the cancer, I have sent a follow up to ABC giving them the heads up on what they are saying and that you won't find that many cases of cancer in horses in one state let alone one farm. Maybe the EPA will test his ground.

Ginny, Jess, Gini or anyone else from CMHR...Have any of you heard anything about the statements made in this letter, before reading it in Mary's post just now?? Can you confirm this one way or the other?? Was any of this mentioned to you guys?

This is the response that I received from KOAM tv in Kansas when I emailed them in regards to this situation. This is a new one on me and do NOT see that this was mentioned anywhere previously.....

Is CMHR aware of this? Funny his herd has so much 'cancer' in it!! Especially since they are not GRAY!!

Their reply:

***** Are we getting a big run around or what**?? Someone please enlighten me!!

This is a load of old/cancerous horse crap! :ugh: I've emailed this reporter to tell her so and don't plan to stop there! I've had ENOUGH!

Last edited:
So you received the same response as I did??? Have you tried getting any other news reporters to respond to the situation? Mary

This is the response that I received from KOAM tv in Kansas when I emailed them in regards to this situation. This is a new one on me and do NOT see that this was mentioned anywhere previously.....

Is CMHR aware of this? Funny his herd has so much 'cancer' in it!! Especially since they are not GRAY!!

Their reply:

***** Are we getting a big run around or what**?? Someone please enlighten me!!

See my other post- I recieved the SAME EXACT letter and am sitting here at work just boiling.

Someone please email or IM me with the facts that they know- I will respond to the media.

WHAT A PILE OF CRAP :ugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back