75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Doing something--anything--that might help.

If anyone is interested in immediately writing e-mails to people who could possibly “make a difference” here is something that might help rescue, in general, and these minis, in particular.

The 15th Annual Animal Law Conference is being held this coming Friday through Sunday. (Website: http://www.lclark.edu/org/saldf/conference.html) This is a national level conference drawing animal welfare people and especially the legal eagles from all over the US – including attorneys who work for the National Center for Animal Law, Best Friends Sanctuary, the Animal Legal Defense Fund, and so on.

As many have become very painfully aware through the situation with the Kansas miniature horses, a HUGE issue right now is the failure or refusal of law enforcement to act to uphold existing animal protection laws.

So – if interested and you have the time, please go to the conference’s web page: http://www.lclark.edu/org/saldf/conference.html

Now look for the roster of speakers and their topics. Then click on the “bio” page -- most of the speakers have e-mail addresses listed; however, there is one speaker on the prosecutions segment who is actually a Lewis & Clark Law School Professor and her e-mail address is on that website under the Law School faculty page. (I am not naming names here because it is my understanding that “no names” is preferable for posting on this forum.)

Examples of law enforcement failing to act to uphold animal (especially equine) protection laws exist all over the US. Here are three examples. If you follow these kinds of news stories or talk to any of the organized rescues, you will soon learn that the inaction of the authorities is a big problem absolutely everywhere, with no apparent end in sight.

Example: A previous posting noted that the Iowa impound last May of 23 starved Arabians (plus an additional 4 euthanized on the spot as being too far gone to even make a 20-minute trailer trip to a better life) resulted eventually in these horses being returned to the hoarder. I am very familiar with that case and can tell you that a big part of the problem was that law enforcement carried on their so-called “investigation” for literally years before finally stepping in, and this time frame started after the previous conviction of the hoarder in 1994 and continued through last December when 5 horses were impounded (and at least 2-3 euthanized) and on through a terrible winter where starved and sick horses had no shelter, frozen water, and only corn stalks and soy byproducts for food. (And then the court and prosecutor “cut a deal” with the defendant and those horses were returned to starve again – worse, no Iowa supervision will be possible as the defendant has publicly stated she is “moving 1000 miles away” thereby putting herself out of reach of the Iowa parole officer!)

Example: As an even worse example of law enforcement being unwilling to act, in the Vick dogfighting case, even strong national hostile media attention was insufficient to goad local authorities to actually go onto the Vick property to investigate -- local law enforcement actually let the search warrant expire! It wasn’t until the FBI got involved that anything got done – and then local law enforcement still tried to stonewall the investigation claiming the FBI was “motivated by racism.” And meanwhile dogs had been hastily killed and buried when word of the impending FBI investigation got out….

Example: I am personally familiar with a humane agency investigation of the ritualistic torture and killing of a mule where the County Sheriff refused to investigate or even write up a report -- and the recording tapes of the 9-1-1 calls made by a witness oh so mysteriously “disappeared.” That investigation is on hold until the witnesses can get their own animals to safety (one of the witnesses is being stalked by the killers).

So if anyone has the inclination to ask the speakers at this Animal Law Conference to please discuss and network among themselves about the problem of law enforcement failing to act and possible solutions to the problem, please consider writing to some of the speakers at this conference. Because the event happens this weekend, all due haste is needed.

And yes – I have already written to several of the speakers. But many voices need to be heard! Please consider adding yours!

Sarah Katherine Moore

Harrisburg, Oregon and Ketchum (Sun Valley) Idaho

Sarah, Thank you for posting the information.
default_yes.gif
: I hope everyone joins in and "makes a difference" for the abused animals by writing. We are all capable of that much! When we experience the "good ole boys" not doing their job, somebody else is needed. If anyone loves animals and has their welfare in mind they will help make a difference! Seems too many of the "guilty" are protected while the innocent is not considered. Mary

Re: Doing something--anything--that might help.

If anyone is interested in immediately writing e-mails to people who could possibly “make a difference” here is something that might help rescue, in general, and these minis, in particular.

The 15th Annual Animal Law Conference is being held this coming Friday through Sunday. (Website: http://www.lclark.edu/org/saldf/conference.html) This is a national level conference drawing animal welfare people and especially the legal eagles from all over the US – including attorneys who work for the National Center for Animal Law, Best Friends Sanctuary, the Animal Legal Defense Fund, and so on.

As many have become very painfully aware through the situation with the Kansas miniature horses, a HUGE issue right now is the failure or refusal of law enforcement to act to uphold existing animal protection laws.

So – if interested and you have the time, please go to the conference’s web page: http://www.lclark.edu/org/saldf/conference.html

Now look for the roster of speakers and their topics. Then click on the “bio” page -- most of the speakers have e-mail addresses listed; however, there is one speaker on the prosecutions segment who is actually a Lewis & Clark Law School Professor and her e-mail address is on that website under the Law School faculty page. (I am not naming names here because it is my understanding that “no names” is preferable for posting on this forum.)

Examples of law enforcement failing to act to uphold animal (especially equine) protection laws exist all over the US. Here are three examples. If you follow these kinds of news stories or talk to any of the organized rescues, you will soon learn that the inaction of the authorities is a big problem absolutely everywhere, with no apparent end in sight.

Example: A previous posting noted that the Iowa impound last May of 23 starved Arabians (plus an additional 4 euthanized on the spot as being too far gone to even make a 20-minute trailer trip to a better life) resulted eventually in these horses being returned to the hoarder. I am very familiar with that case and can tell you that a big part of the problem was that law enforcement carried on their so-called “investigation” for literally years before finally stepping in, and this time frame started after the previous conviction of the hoarder in 1994 and continued through last December when 5 horses were impounded (and at least 2-3 euthanized) and on through a terrible winter where starved and sick horses had no shelter, frozen water, and only corn stalks and soy byproducts for food. (And then the court and prosecutor “cut a deal” with the defendant and those horses were returned to starve again – worse, no Iowa supervision will be possible as the defendant has publicly stated she is “moving 1000 miles away” thereby putting herself out of reach of the Iowa parole officer!)

Example: As an even worse example of law enforcement being unwilling to act, in the Vick dogfighting case, even strong national hostile media attention was insufficient to goad local authorities to actually go onto the Vick property to investigate -- local law enforcement actually let the search warrant expire! It wasn’t until the FBI got involved that anything got done – and then local law enforcement still tried to stonewall the investigation claiming the FBI was “motivated by racism.” And meanwhile dogs had been hastily killed and buried when word of the impending FBI investigation got out….

Example: I am personally familiar with a humane agency investigation of the ritualistic torture and killing of a mule where the County Sheriff refused to investigate or even write up a report -- and the recording tapes of the 9-1-1 calls made by a witness oh so mysteriously “disappeared.” That investigation is on hold until the witnesses can get their own animals to safety (one of the witnesses is being stalked by the killers).

So if anyone has the inclination to ask the speakers at this Animal Law Conference to please discuss and network among themselves about the problem of law enforcement failing to act and possible solutions to the problem, please consider writing to some of the speakers at this conference. Because the event happens this weekend, all due haste is needed.

And yes – I have already written to several of the speakers. But many voices need to be heard! Please consider adding yours!

Sarah Katherine Moore

Harrisburg, Oregon and Ketchum (Sun Valley) Idaho

aukkkkkkk removed cause it won't help nothin rats

Last edited by a moderator:
There appears to be nothing in the statutes that have posted here that indicate the owner needs to be given thirty days to improve his horses' situation. Generally in most areas a State Vet is needed to verify that animals are in bad shape. Generally in most areas a State Vet cannot override what the Sheriff wants. I seem to recall that at first the Sheriff said 53 (?) horses needed to "go." Then there was a change and they are all being left with this neglectful - for whatever reason - owner and said owner is being given another month.

Sorry - but by the photos provided these horses showed they would be evaluated by the generally accepted Henneke Body Scoring system as a 2 or less, plus there were serious, apparently untreated injuries also photographically documents. A Henneke score of 2 or less indicates these horses are in imminent danger.

Based on the statutes as printed in this forum earlier, in my opinion there is abuse going on (whatever the "reason" or "excuse") and again in my opinion local law enforcement is not upholding the letter of the animal abuse laws of the State of Kansas.

And didn't someone say in an earlier post that the sheriff was well aware of the condition of these minis and failed to do anything at all until everyone started writing and calling him? I'm glad they are getting water & hay and that a vet has been called in, but these minis did not get in this condition overnight and if the sheriff was aware of their condition and failed to act until forced to do do, he failed in his duties.
default_wacko.png
:

Mary (buckskin gal) I would love to walk in and file a report but I do not live in KS and am not an officer or agent of CMHR. The law states it must be one of those to file.
default_wacko.png
:

Also, the sheriff has to report to someone.. who is it? Is this a local county sheriff? Then he has a seargent and if that does not work, I am sure they have a captain..........................

Good idea about the transport suggestion also!

Edited for another suggestion- apparently if he is 53 horses over his ZONING restrictions, then there are Planning and Zoning offices with which a report can be filed. I know because when a friend of mine had purchased some turkeys chicks to raise to butcher, the neighbor turned her in to Planning and Zoning due to restrictions there. Then they had a calf her daughter raised for 4H- he turned her in again. Planning and Zoning had to send an officer out every time there was a complaint to investigate, so there are other ways to make noise

If the sheriff is going out there daily and feeding and watering, then HOW IS THAT MAKING THE OLD MAN IMPROVE THE CONDITION OF THE HORSES? Is the sheriff going to do this as a public service and tend someones animals on the county's dime? I have heard of the "GOOD OL BOY" law in smaller communities. But, I think if I were a tax payer in that county I would put up a stink. If the CO sheriff here did that instead of making the owner responsible I would be throwing a fit. The OLD MAN is the one that is supposed to be tending to the horses and improving the conditions NOT the SHERIFF AND VET. Yes, these horses are getting help for now but as soon as all the attention dies down, Then what?

In our 3 town county the sheriff is the head honcho. He is guided by the county comissioners only if they are aware of changes needing made. Otherwise our sheriff does whatever he wants. So there is probably no captian or sargeant, those don't exist in small counties. :no:

But Marty has a good point, that this is only a bandaid. And Kathy, if the sheriff is holding the owner's hand in feeding and caring...can the owner do this on his own? Apparently not. If I was the sheriff, I would turn my attention to asking questions as to who will care for your horses since you aren't able to get to them?

Also if the owner is over by 53, then why isn't the sheriff looking into getting them sold or surrendered, regardless of the care being given...he should be informative about those horses needing to leave. If the owner doesn't have the land and the sheriff sounds strict about him being over the limit, then why isn't he doing something about that too. :eek:

I trully believe the owner said he was going to buy an addition 100 acres to save his butt, when they pointed out he was over stocked. I doubt he had the intentions too. Even more acreage isn't going to feed and water them in the winter.

Would someone with some livestock knowledge instruct them in livestock husbandry. They obviously are just being sweetened and not looking at the whole picture pertaining to the near future (winter).

default_wub.png
: My support is for the mistreated horses and I don't think he deserves to have them, if he has had the money and truly cared about them, he should of had the motivation to do something before now.
default_yes.gif
:

I agree FMC Minis. What is going to happen when the sheriff quits holding this old fools hand? I thought the order was for HIM to improve the conditions NOT the sheriff. People in that County NEED to know they are caring for this OLD MANS horses. I know I would not want to pay for somebody's horses on MY county taxes. If the Sheriff is doing this feeding on County time that is exactly what it is. I would want the person to surrender their animals. We had a woman that was a county official and she was impeached for using county funds for non-county work. Maybe it is time for the news to report on this. Both TV and print.

I contacted the Topeka Capital-Journal when this all started to come to light. They didn't bother to respond.

If anyone is located closer to this than I am (I'm on the west coast) and would like to have a go at getting local media's attention, below is a list of some TV stations and newspapers. There are probably more, this is what I found mostly online.

Perhaps if enough people contact them they'll send an investigative reporter or do some kind of a story - especially if it is suspected that taxpayer dollars are being used to afford Mr. Trembly a "personal comfort zone" and particularly where so many individuals and a recognized rescue organization have already offered to step forward and handle the matter so the taxpayers wouldn't have to pay the bill.

I don't know this man and have nothing against him. Oh, wait, yes I do, there's a little matter of the subjects of those photographs....I am very sympathetic about age and infirmity -- but age and/or infirmity should not be used as an excuse to let this situation continue.

A google search turned up information that the minis' owner has received quite a tidy sum of money in farm subsidies over the past several years. Well - if that information is accurate, that's pretty scary - federal money supporting animal hoarding! Dear me, what WILL they think of next -- !! [Note to self: please keep the sarcasm contained!]

In many areas, if county Zoning/Land Use gets involved, it's the Sheriff they call to immediately get rid of the animals. Trust me, you don't want to know what usually happens to animals removed from private property in these circumstances. Unless there is someone on the zoning board who has a good grasp of the true situation, taking the complaint to zoning/land use might just end up being an unpleasantly two-edged sword.

Here's the media list. Some of the names on these connections were posted earlier in this forum.

Topeka Capital-Journal

www.cjonline.com (Jan Biles, Wayne Stewart)

Kansas City Channel 9 TV:

thekansascitychannel.com/contactus/index.html

KSHB Action news: [email protected]

http://www.kctv5.com/station/13482536/detail.html

[email protected]

www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/insideF...tUS?pageID=5.11

[email protected]

Fort Scott Tribune newspaper

www.fstribune.com

Robin Hixson

Editor

[email protected]

http://fourstateshomepage.com/

http://www.joplinglobe.com/

Pittsburg Morning Sun Newspaper http://www.morningsun.net

Parsons Sun Newspaper http://www.parsonssun.com/

I would have to assume that buying another 20 acres will correct the legal over-population problem. That's probably part of the 30 day decision. If he has plans in action that will correct that problem I would think the sheriff would be obligated to allow reasonable time for the purchase to be completed.

As far as speculation about "the sheriff...going out there daily and feeding and watering".....who knows??? But if he is, I say Good For Him. If he is, he's actively demonstrating an interest in what's going on out there. I know visits by a law enforcement officer would certainly get my attention a lot quicker than just telling me I have to do better.

Like most of you, I'm sick over this whole thing!! I was planning to go to Uniontown and help with gathering the herd. I was planning to set up a quarantine pen in my yard so that I would be able to help some of those horses myself. I hate to think what their situation might be this winter. But I have to believe that the people making the decisions will do the right thing. After all, like Marty said" they are getting care now and the ball is rolling. If, after the 30 days is up, CMHR gets involved again at least they will be in better shape to handle the stress of shipment and adjusting to a new home. And if the vet is doing health certificates, they will be able to be moved out of state, which means more of them will find new homes.

Progress is being made even though it's much slower than we would like. They're in my heart and on my mind constantly, as I'm sure they're on all of yours.

Here is a post earlier on in the thread:

It was suggested to me to contact the

Southeast Kansas Humane Society in Pittsburg, 620-232-1840,

a non-profit organization for more info as to what needs to be done.

Also contact KOAM TV in Pittsburg, who have done this sort of thing before. Koam has a website with email contacts. It's http://www.koamtv.com

And contact the local newspapers, ie. Fort Scott Tribune, Pittsburg Morning Sun, Parsons Sun, Iola Register, etc...

If anyone is looking for good places to express their concern.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Today I called a couple of the news stations and a paper that someone listed here in this thread. I did get a call back from one of the papers and they told me that they didn't cover things like this. I am strongly thinking of NBC, CBS or ABC nightly news. We just had a problem with the wild horses here in Nevada where I believe it was 125 horses died and they don't know why. None of them were thin. They have Palomino Valley totally locked down. No Horses IN OR OUT. This is how Nevada deals with a problem with horses. Even though we have enough sand they don't EVER stick their heads in the sand and figure a problem will just go away. They FIX the problem.

Thanks for the sites there... will send my two cents worth... perhaps if we ALL contact the media, they will know this is a nationwide watch and wait thing going on here and not just three people over the back fence complaining.

I have now emailed everyone I know. Even into Alaska asking people to call anyone they can think of to get the pressure on. I mean it can't hurt since the OLD CODDGER dug his heels in and won't budge.

This is one thread where I think absolutely all people are in agreement!!

I can't think of another time this has happened.

I know that, had it been proven the old man had become feeble or had lost his money, we would all have been there behind him, helping him to get the mess sorted.

The fact that he lives away from the property is the key here- he has effectively abandoned these animals and will undoubtedly return to his old ways as soon as the Sheriff pulls out- Lord alone knows why the Sheriff is doing all this- what involvement does he have in the matter??

I am HIF+GHLY suspect when anyone except Animal control/welfare does things- I think the Sheriff might just be covering his backside- sweep it all under the carpet and it will all go away.

Note to Sheriff- it will NOT- we will still be here and we will still be watching.

What we desperately need is someone willing to actually go there, physically, and keep an eye out and talk to people around the area- at least once a week.

I would be happy to contribute towards gas money if there is anyone on the board worthing driving distance.

If they won't police it maybe we will have to???

I am afraid I know exactly what will happen.

Sheriff will feed and water for 30 days and get some men in to clear up a bit.

Place will be inspected and found to be OK

Case will be dropped.

Old man will go back to his old ways and the Sheriff will turn a blind eye to the whole thing.

OK people it is up to us yo make sure this does NOT happen.

We have to be watching.
default_sad.png

Who else will???? :no:

Just caught up with my reading. Couple things I would like to add. Don't know if this is a problem everywhere or just Kansas but If you call in a complaint against someone you get investigated more then they do and with total disregard to lawbreakers around you. We were doing a bunch of repairs when the contracters finished our barn and of course we had complained that the neighbors kept putting thier horses inside their fenced lagoon. (YUCK) So the county inspector came to our house to investigate and we were sighted that our lagoon gate was missing (three foot gate that had broken and we were in the process of replacing and the new one was sitting right there) and that our chain link was more than 3 inches or some stupid crap off the ground and we needed it so that rabbits and other animals could not get in there and we had 30 days to replace it and get the gate back up .

OUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR HAS A LAGOON AND NO FENCING AT ALL. I am always having to give our labradore a bath because the second we let her out to play that is the first place she runs to! And in our neighbor hood (three acre lots so we are all real close) there is at least 3 people that have horses fenced into thier lagoons and last count 5 that had goats fenced in and I can not even count the number that uses the lagoon fenced area to keep thier dogs in. (disgusting) And it is not like they are hiding it. They have a shelter for the animal set up in the lagoon. And you can see three of these lagoons from my property. So that means that he stood there sighting us about 3 inches while he could see horses fenced into one lagoon, goats fenced into another and a third with no fence at all! OH and don't get me started on the Two puppy mills that are right here also. They did finally get rid of the tiger and the emu. I am not kidding. We even made the news.

So I got the warning loud and clear. Now when I complain I refuse to give my name, my address and I call from a public phone at work. HOW SAD IS THIS!!

All I am saying is that if this county is anything like mine they are more concerned about getting rid of people that rock the boat then about actually dealing with anything.

I need to move south!! OKLAHOMA hear I come!! (And now I step off my soap box.)

But I do only live 2 hours from the horses so if there is no one closer I would be glad to report to the forum But I could probably only make the trip once or twice a month.

I have a question about quarantine. If the vet does do health certificates on these horses will it still be necessary to quarantine them for 30 days???? I know they would have to be kept separated from my horses until they got acquainted, but would quarantine still be necessary?

I have a question about quarantine. If the vet does do health certificates on these horses will it still be necessary to quarantine them for 30 days???? I know they would have to be kept separated from my horses until they got acquainted, but would quarantine still be necessary?
I know some will not agree with me, but it is GOOD practice to ALWAYS quarantine ANY horse that has traveled on commercial transport, come in contact with other horses that are ill, or that are purchased from another farm.

You see, the health certificate is most often issued several weeks before travel, and all it means is that at the time that the vet was giving the exam that the horse in question was healthy with no obvious signs of illness. This doesn't mean that the horse will be healthy when you get it. As was mentioned earlier, shipping stress will cause dormant illnesses to reappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back