75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My offer still stands...if someone can get some horses out of there for me by buying them, I would still stand by my offer to take them.
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Would this be any different than rescuing a poor dog that's always tied to a tree, only to look out a few days later and see a brand new replacement puppy on that chain?

I'm just wondering - I really don't know, but that thought does come to mind. IF he is a hoarder (and no, I'm not claiming to be a shrink), then I'm afraid that is what the outcome will be. Eventually more new minis to replace those he's lost.

That being said, if I lived pretty close - I would befriend this man and buy a couple of his minis. It would be my way of establishing an ongoing relationship/communication with him, so I could continue to keep tabs on the situation.

That is alot of ifs and maybes, and your right but in the meantime those that need us and may not have a way of getting out, this might be the only way at the moment. I won't turn my back nor am I going to forget them there either. I don't have the answer at the moment. It's like saying, well why bother buying a horse from a killer auction, they are just going to go get more to run through the auction. Yes, true, but in the meantime I have rescued at least 1 or 2 ... I can't control what he does, I can control what I do

I love the questions some of you are asking and rightfully so. I cannot wait for Ginny to return to answer as many as she can. Go Ginny! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

If he surrendered the worst ones last night and the vet can only report on what that vet sees..... well, you can see where this is heading. Sigh.

Very good point but I am not too worried about that because don't forget, the other rescues that helped us were there taking tons of pictures as well as tv etc so there in fact are many pictures circulating out there that we haven't seen. Besides, the fosters that have these horses will have them seen by vets as well so there will be that report. I seem to remember a case of maggots and hope there are pictures of those bugs for documentation.

Someone mentioned him breeding the horses again?

If that happened, that would send me completely over the edge.

I just thought of something: I wonder if he was able to put an identity with the horses that left so the fosters will know who they are.......

Last edited by a moderator:
That is alot of ifs and maybes, and your right but in the meantime those that need us and may not have a way of getting out, this might be the only way at the moment. I won't turn my back nor am I going to forget them there either. I don't have the answer at the moment. It's like saying, well why bother buying a horse from a killer auction, they are just going to go get more to run through the auction. Yes, true, but in the meantime I have rescued at least 1 or 2 ... I can't control what he does, I can control what I do
So true!! This reminds me of the story about the man and the starfish. Here one adaptation of it in case you've never heard it. It's always been one of my favorites, and reminds us that each and every one of us really CAN make a difference, no matter how small it might seem to us.

----------------------------------------------------

The Star Thrower Story by Joel Barker

There's a story I would like to share with you. It was inspired by the writing of Loren Eiseley. Eiseley was a very special person because he combined the best of two cultures. He was a scientist and a poet. And from those two perspectives he wrote insightfully and beautifully about the world and our role in it.

Once upon a time, there was a wise man, much like Eiseley himself, who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day. So he began to walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.

As he got closer, he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?" The young man paused, looked up and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked, Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?"

"The sun is up and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."

"But young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves. "It made a difference for that one!"

His response surprised the man. He was upset. He didn't know how to reply. So instead, he turned away and walked back to the cottage to begin his writings.

All day long as he wrote, the image of the young man haunted him. He tried to ignore it, but the vision persisted. Finally, late in the afternoon he realized that he the scientist, he the poet, had missed out on the essential nature of the young man's actions. Because he realized that what the young man was doing was choosing not to be an observer in the universe and make a difference. He was embarrased.

That night he went to bed troubled. When the morning came he awoke knowing that he had to do something. So he got up, put on his clothes, went to the beach and found the young man. And with him he spent the rest of the morning throwing starfish into the ocean. You see, what that young man's actions represent is something that is special in each and everyone of us. We have all been gifted with the ability to make a difference. And if we can, like that young man, become aware of that gift, we gain through the strength of our vision the power to shape the future.

And that is your challenge. And that is my challenge. We must each find our starfish. And if we throw our stars wisely and well, I have no question that the 21st century is going to be a wonderful place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone who has been like the starfish thrower and did what they could to make a difference in this situation. It's not over, but let's focus on one day at a time. And thank you, Mr. Trembly, for doing your part as well. This has not been easy for anyone involved in this.

Does anyone know if the rescue got the horse with cancer and the one with the bad eye. I sure hope so. Those little babies had to be miserable. God this is soooo heartbreaking and frustrating.

God Bless you, Ginny!!

For the most part, owning horses is a luxury. Caring for them is a responsibility. If you want the luxury, you need to be responsible. They can not fend for themselves as we've seen in this case
This hits the nail on the head for me.

Sorry, I saw the pictures, I do not buy any of the claptrap- I am so sorry to those I know this will offend but- we KNOW some horses have been moved- the missing 20??

Where are they??

Do you not think it is possible you are being hoodwinked.

Is there any actual proof that a Vet has visited??

After all this Vet has been going to arrive for over a week- right back since the K-state Vet was contacted and knew NOTHING about any of it!!!

Is there an actual proof, beyond the dubious one of the Sheriff that a Vet has visited- anyone could have walked around the horses in the distance pretending to be a Vet.

OK got that off my chest!!

I feel NO sympathy for Trembly- he has access to a tap and to food.

The horses in his care do not.

Where are the round bales??

Pretty big things to miss with a camera, and twenty Mini mares get through a round bale a week so how long are 50 going to last 100?????

There are HUGE gaps in the whole story- I think they are throwing us scraps so we will go away.

They need to know we will not.

Hope you sleep well, Vern, knowing what you truly do know, in your heart.

Do the right thing- let those horse go.

KWCH just ran the story again and then did a story on animal hoarding and was talking to a person that deals with people that hoard animals.They were showing the minis while they were doing the story. It was a good story.

She said if anyone thinks they can do better, to please feel free to come to Kansas and join her at any time.
I've debated for several days now about going to Uniontown (it's about 200 miles) to see if I can help or just to see the horses for myself. When I got up this morning I was ready to go. But Marty's words are haunting me......because I certainly don't think I can "do better" than Ginny is. Part of me feels that maybe the more of us that Vern meets the more he might learn to trust us. But because of the "can do better" part of that statement, another part of me feels that by going I'd be in some way saying that Ginny isn't doing enough, or her best.....and that certainly isn't true!!

I'm still dressed to go. Got the directions, Ginnys number and my camera. But here I sit...undecided about what to do.

If I went I'd be willing to buy a couple, but I have no way to bring them home and the health certificate question is still there.

She said if anyone thinks they can do better, to please feel free to come to Kansas and join her at any time.
I've debated for several days now about going to Uniontown (it's about 200 miles) to see if I can help or just to see the horses for myself. When I got up this morning I was ready to go. But Marty's words are haunting me......because I certainly don't think I can "do better" than Ginny is. Part of me feels that maybe the more of us that Vern meets the more he might learn to trust us. But because of the "can do better" part of that statement, another part of me feels that by going I'd be in some way saying that Ginny isn't doing enough, or her best.....and that certainly isn't true!!

I'm still dressed to go. Got the directions, Ginnys number and my camera. But here I sit...undecided about what to do.

If I went I'd be willing to buy a couple, but I have no way to bring them home and the health certificate question is still there. .
Only my opinion.... but I think your help would be welcomed and viewed as positive support.

I say... Grap your keys, and go! LOL

Bare minimum, just the potential of perhaps purchasing a couple..... is a good reason to go. (Given you are in a position where you can go there.)

Let us not forget what God wants us to do.

He has lead someone to theses horses for a purpose and a reason.

Lets pray for this man, and pray for his horses.

I Pray to do what is right.

[SIZE=14pt]First of all, Ginny said something last night about needing to catch up from not sleeping in two days, so please don't call her too early this morning!
default_wink.png
: She sounded really tired the last time I talked to her last night.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Secondly, I had a long update from the first surrenders typed up and ready to post about ten last night and my internet server went down and it wouldn't post. The bad thing is that I lost it completely, so I will sit here and type another until it is done and posted. I am very sorry it has taken this long but it couldn't be helped!
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

I am so happy to hear that more progress has been made today, in getting a few more horses out of there, and glad a few more may be sold to someone else.

This brings me to my next question...early on in this case, the vet stated there would be no health papers signed...so now if these horses have been seen by a vet are they healthy enough that they WILL now sign health papers for any that maybe can get sold to get them out of there?

My offer still stands...if someone can get some horses out of there for me by buying them, I would still stand by my offer to take them.

Also, these receipts for the feed(hay)...was the $1000 on hay he spend just recently, or over a set period of time? I am just wondering, because if it was over time it really doesn't seem like a lot to spend on over 100 horses. I just bought mine for the winter for 13 horses, and paid over $1000.
I believe the date on the check was October 8,2007

[SIZE=12pt]Update on the original 11 surrendered minis:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The "baby that was left behind" is the baby of a mare that Mr. Trembly had added after the first eight were picked. However, it got away from them before they were loaded on the trailer and ran back into the herd. However, we will be getting the little filly today since she was included on the release that Mr. Trembly signed that night.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Okay, a younger mare and a gelding went to a home about an hour from the farm. The vet said that they didn't have any infectious diseases but were terribly malnourished. The mare does have an eye issue that is thought to be genetic, per the vet. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The other eight went to Kansas City. This group consists of 1 stallion (Ebony), 2 geldings and 5 mares. Yes, the "cancer" gelding is one of these. Foster Mom told me about the nightmarish condition that this little guy was in when she got him home and I don't want to get into it all over again, but here is part of her email to me at 2 am:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"Shannon[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt], [/SIZE]

I have a severe emergency on my hands. One of the male mini's, the tip of his penis is swollen really bad. You can smell it without getting close. It is swollen about 3 inches by 3 inches, it also looks like it is infected with maggots. He cannot retract it back into his body and it is dangling. He is very irritable. ( I would be too). He is a larger male paint, chestnut and white."

[SIZE=12pt]An hour later, I got this email:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"It is now 3 am. I spent the last 1 1/2 doing a sheath cleaning...I don't think I'll ever be the same!!! But the penis was INFESTED with maggots. I think I've got them all. The size has went down considerably. Poor little guy, he fought me for a few minutes and then I think he figured out that I was trying to help him. He then stood like a perfect angel for the rest of the time."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Okay, that's all for now. Marty or myself will post another update after we talk to Ginny.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I just want to say thank you to all of you that have done anything to help these horses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon[/SIZE]

Please keep in mind that right now we do not have a legal leg to stand on to continue to go after Mr. Trembly. Bashing him continually and doubting what others have confirmed make the situation unstable and ineffective.

I had asked that letters get written to pull the community together to put the situation in a positive light and I have not seen one. I am not asking that you in anyway support him, encourage him or enable him, however behaving as a madding crowd will cause severe damage to our ability to effect any change from this day forward.

Kansas has a very strong harassment and stalking law. We have to befriend him, earn his trust and assist him in reducing the herd to prevent a recurrence and to help the horses he has legal ownership of. Let's not be so defensive about our early response to the photos (I counted less than 30 out of 100 portrayed) that we cannot adjust to the change in the information and change in facts coming from the scene. There are no missing horses, the vet visit was the state KSU vet and was confirmed, that vet was the best independent expert we could have selected if we could have selected ourselves, the laws of the state are being followed, yes the sheriff lied to some of you but he has no duty to tell the truth to multiple callers from out of state or out of the county (grow up - law enforcement has always had a license to tell the public anything they choose for the situation) and pictures out of context belie the context of the facts - that is why in court photos without eyewitness accounts are not admissible.

If you want to help stop bashing and start thinking as a professional support group. Get a postive word out all over the world with the same energy as before about the good that the rescue groups are doing. Don't be so hard on yourselves for believing it was one way and finding that it might be something different. Calling the man names or labeling him as a hoarder will not change the facts on the ground. IF you don't want to accept the information coming from the eyewitnesses then go see for yourselves. Don't be arm chair quarterbacks. It is doing more harm than good at this point. Flame away but get a grip.

I guess what I'm asking that maybe isn't being understood, is by buying animals and then exiting the situation (if we live far away and can't stay involved) is are we actually contributing to the problem? By buying and saving one are we allowing Mr. Trembly to buy 1 or 2 more and sentence them to the same fate down the line?

That is the reason I won't buy from pet stores, as much as I want to save that one sad little pathetic puppy in front of me I won't contribute to or support that industry, as it helps it to continue.

I don't think that is at all the same thing as outbidding a slaughter buyer at a horse auction. I would do that myself. Most horses that end up as meat aren't raised to be meat, so I don't feel (as much) that I'm supporting an industry to raise more horses as meat if I outbid a kill buyer.

And, if I was walking along a beach, and there were a bunch of starfish that needed to get back into the water, you bet I'd throw them back in to try and save them (ask anyone who knows me and they'd roll their eyes and tell you it's true). But my doing that isn't going to cause the ocean to go out and buy some more starfish to throw out.

I've thought myself about going to buy a stock trailer full from Mr. Trembly. But I really fear he's going to take my money and turn around and put it into a fresh herd of horses, not into the care of the horses he has left. I don't see why he wouldn't - I don't claim to know his finances regardless of all the reports on here about subsidies received, land he owns, etc., but the one thing I do know for sure is his pasture is a veritable scrapyard - if times were getting tough and he couldn't bare to sell off some of his horses in order to care for others he could have sold off some of that scrap to care for them.

ETA: This post is NOT meant to be a bashing of anyone on here, the sheriff, or Mr. Trembly. I am honestly trying to help figure out what the BEST solution is that we could work towards, and I'm not sure that buying most of the herd from Mr. Trembly is the best solution, and I just really hope that people think that through.

[SIZE=10pt]I was wondering if anyone that has purchased some horses, has a price ever been mentioned what they had to pay per horse? Just wondering for us that want to purchase one or some from him if and when that is possible for us to do. I have already offered to keep a few here for rehab if needed. I live in SW Arkansas tho, but if any are being shipped to Tenn or close to my area I have a large barn, stalls, pastures and an awesome Vet. [/SIZE]

I know therer are a lot of you that will disagree with what I did, but I publically appoliged to Mr Trembly in the news paper comments. I feel that although it was wrong to let the horses get to this state of condition, I feel he is human with feelings such as we all have, and I had the strong urge to let him know how I felt. I also feel that his tender age, I for one don't want to be the cause of him having a heart atack or get sick over this trama.

Please keep in mind that right now we do not have a legal leg to stand on to continue to go after Mr. Trembly. Bashing him continually and doubting what others have confirmed make the situation unstable and ineffective.

I had asked that letters get written to pull the community together to put the situation in a positive light and I have not seen one. I am not asking that you in anyway support him, encourage him or enable him, however behaving as a madding crowd will cause severe damage to our ability to effect any change from this day forward.

Kansas has a very strong harassment and stalking law. We have to befriend him, earn his trust and assist him in reducing the herd to prevent a recurrence and to help the horses he has legal ownership of. Let's not be so defensive about our early response to the photos (I counted less than 30 out of 100 portrayed) that we cannot adjust to the change in the information and change in facts coming from the scene. There are no missing horses, the vet visit was the state KSU vet and was confirmed, that vet was the best independent expert we could have selected if we could have selected ourselves, the laws of the state are being followed, yes the sheriff lied to some of you but he has no duty to tell the truth to multiple callers from out of state or out of the county (grow up - law enforcement has always had a license to tell the public anything they choose for the situation) and pictures out of context belie the context of the facts - that is why in court photos without eyewitness accounts are not admissible.

If you want to help stop bashing and start thinking as a professional support group. Get a postive word out all over the world with the same energy as before about the good that the rescue groups are doing. Don't be so hard on yourselves for believing it was one way and finding that it might be something different. Calling the man names or labeling him as a hoarder will not change the facts on the ground. IF you don't want to accept the information coming from the eyewitnesses then go see for yourselves. Don't be arm chair quarterbacks. It is doing more harm than good at this point. Flame away but get a grip.

EXACTLY!!!! Like it or not it sometimes takes a bit of butt kissing to get a job done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back