75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Report on KWCH 12 out of Wichita, ks:

A K-State vet examines roughly 80 miniature horses living in poor conditions in southeast Kansas and determines none are in immediate danger. That doesn't mean law enforcement isn't taking action.

We first told you about Vernon Trembly Wednesday night on Eyewitness News. Bourbon County officials say they're working with the 71-year-old to reduce his herd by more than half and improve conditions.

Fifteen horses are already in foster care. Judy Moore in Cowley County took two of them. She says they don't have any skin conditions or mites, but need to put on some weight.

Moore says, "It will take some time. We were lucky to get them out of there when we did cause with winter coming on they wouldn't have made it. It's just that simple with the shape that they're in."

No charges are pending against Trembly. Bourbon County Sheriff Harold Coleman says Trembly is simply getting older and is no longer able to take care of the animals.

Southern Winds Equine Rescue, in Wellington, is heading up foster efforts. If you'd like to help, call Victor McMullen at (316) 858-3233. You can also follow the link to their website.

"doing rescue work is one of the most frustrating, stressful, nerve wracking, heart breaking things I have ever done. It is also one of the most rewarding when it finally comes to a conclusion and the end goal of giving animals a better life is obtained. I think everyone here is a little worn out and frazzled and its totally understandable.

Lets just all take a breath and see what the conclusion is. I know how hard it is to be patient but I have to say it again please be patient! Nothing happens overnight and nothing worth doing is ever easy.

I commend every person that had a part in seeing that these horses get the care they need
default_yes.gif
: "

--------------------

I couldnt agree with this statement from Kay more. There are always so many working behind the scene and patience wears so thin with those not in the know. I have been reading this thread as it progressed. If there is one thing I wish..it would be that I hope people wouldnt be so judgemental BEFORE they know ALL the facts. We should all be there for the animals, and not let our emotions get in our way, regardless of how hard it can be at times, patience and kindness, go hand in hand. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
No charges are pending against Trembly.
I find this an interesting comment. I believe, and I could be wrong on this, that the DA is the only one that can bring charges once he/she has seen the KCU vets report.

They are negotiating and as of right now, Ginny has 3 more geldings and the baby left behind from last night!!!
I will update more when I hear back from her as she plans to go back for another visit this afternoon.

I am getting an update together now on the events of last nights surrender, etc. and will post shortly.
Shannon, anxiously awaiting your updates. Please remember that we (at least the majority of us) have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you say "the baby left behind" last night. And do you mean he has agreed to surrender 3 more geldings??

Does CMHR and the other rescues have funds in order to perhaps purchase these minis from this owner, in order to secure them away from this situation? I personally am willing to donate to any rescue that will use the funds to get some out. What I don't want to do is give funds that would be given to this owner for him to buy feed for the horses that he can't afford to keep in the first place because that would only allow this to perhaps happen again down the road.

With regards to the baby, this is what I know. This is the baby they spoke of last night, not another one. There was no safe room for him in the trailer last night but he will be moved. Three additional horses are also or will be safe, 3 geldings. The three were not part of the intial 11 reported to us.

Does anyone know if the number of horses seen today totals what was said to have been seen on the farm recently?

Does CMHR and the other rescues have funds in order to perhaps purchase these minis from this owner, in order to secure them away from this situation? I personally am willing to donate to any rescue that will use the funds to get some out
................. While this is what our hearts will us to do WHAT pray tell will stop him from continuing to breed to produce more to continue to sell to us!!!!! I would be willing to do this IF there is legal action to assure me he will NOT bring other animals into this world to subject to the same conditions. We cannot become enablers.

i am getting from these posts that some horses were moved, that the horses surrendered last night were not some of the worst ones we saw in the pictures and that it is unknown where they are now

is that correct?

At this point I am focusing on the horses that are right now in his care and, perhaps not in imminent danger, absolutely need to be removed. The longer those horses stay in this situation the less chance they will not have some possible permanent health issues from the ordeal they have and are going through. I won't however enable him by giving $$ if it is going to be used to buy feed for those that remain in HIS care, that wouldn't be prudent nor would it help eventually get most of them, if not all, out of there. Also don't forget, this story has gone around the block a few times. I think most breeders would recognize the name and the face should he come a calling to buy more minis

UPDATE FROM VIRGINIA:

She cannot get the computer to work from there so this is a relay anouncment:

Ginny is working very hard at trying to get more horses released from Trembly all day long. She was lucky to have gotten the 3 geldings she said.

Her goal for the weekend is to continue speaking to Trembly and negotiate for more horses, as many as he is willing to give up and that is very difficult.

She said if anyone thinks they can do better, to please feel free to come to Kansas and join her at any time.

This has been very exhausting on her but she will pluge forward in the morning for another go at it.

Her last day there will be Sunday.

When she arrives home Sunday night or later, she will make her anouncement and tell her findings to you.

That is all I can spare at the moment.

Just a question? Where is his family or friends.... :new_shocked:

Someone must be in his life besides these horses, I hope.... :no:

Dani, three cheers for your post :aktion033: I am so glad this is being brought up about donating money. We had a situation last fall in Wisconsin, where the exact same thing happened..I got a call from a forum member to PURCHASE some colts, to get them out of there...they were thin but not in deplorable condition, these colts were all PURCHASED by "rescue" and all it did was enable the breeders to continue breeding, which is exactly what they did this year again. I was hoping if they wouldnt be able to sell any for a few years..they would eventually stop breeding, but instead they fell into the hand of being purchased for the asking price by a rescue. I got flammed for speaking up against "rescue" purchasing horses in situations like that. I will not donate to any rescue who will purchase animals and allow things to go on either. Rescue is there for a reason to help the animals not to enable the breeder to continue breeding,regardless of who it is. PLUS there is always two sides to every story, please everyone listen to FACTS before you jump to your own conclusions. Corinne

Thanks for the post. This is making me think that perhaps the rescues could get the mares out? No mares, no breeding. Yes, you are right he could continue breeding. It would be interesting to know who in the last year lets say he has sold a mini to. There is no way he sold a mini and had someone go there to pick up the mini because the person would have seen the others and how they were living and their condition. How was he selling his horses??? Was he taking them to auction you think? was he selling them from another location or was he just not selling but "collecting" all this time?

i am getting from these posts that some horses were moved, that the horses surrendered last night were not some of the worst ones we saw in the pictures and that it is unknown where they are now

is that correct?
Lisa, in Vicki's quite comprehensive update last night she stated that the thinnest horses were indeed the one's that had been surrendered. It can all be found in Post #897153.

I doubt that the condition of any he's already surrendered would be germain. He no longer has them. It's the ones who are still in his possession that count.
I was afraid of that. If he surrendered the worst ones last night and the vet can only report on what that vet sees..... well, you can see where this is heading. Sigh.
I'm not sure that is true - though I am no attorney. Careful documentation/photos, etc would probably be a good idea regardless. Guess we will just have to sit back and continue to wait for things to unfold.

BLESS YOU VIRGINIA!!!!

Are there any members here that have ever sold this man a mini? are any of these horses registered in his name? Do we know WHO these horses are, their identity?

is that correct?
Lisa, in Vicki's quite comprehensive update last night she stated that the thinnest horses were indeed the one's that had been surrendered. It can all be found in Post #897153.
ABSOLUTELY the thinnest ones were the ones surrendered last night. I can't say if any were from the pictures you saw. Three of us looked and agreed on those in the worst need. They are in good qualified foster homes. I don't have a recent update, but as of earlier today, they had arrived safely to their destinations and were doing well.

I am so happy to hear that more progress has been made today, in getting a few more horses out of there, and glad a few more may be sold to someone else.

This brings me to my next question...early on in this case, the vet stated there would be no health papers signed...so now if these horses have been seen by a vet are they healthy enough that they WILL now sign health papers for any that maybe can get sold to get them out of there?

My offer still stands...if someone can get some horses out of there for me by buying them, I would still stand by my offer to take them.

Also, these receipts for the feed(hay)...was the $1000 on hay he spend just recently, or over a set period of time? I am just wondering, because if it was over time it really doesn't seem like a lot to spend on over 100 horses. I just bought mine for the winter for 13 horses, and paid over $1000.

My offer still stands...if someone can get some horses out of there for me by buying them, I would still stand by my offer to take them.
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Would this be any different than rescuing a poor dog that's always tied to a tree, only to look out a few days later and see a brand new replacement puppy on that chain?

I'm just wondering - I really don't know, but that thought does come to mind. IF he is a hoarder (and no, I'm not claiming to be a shrink), then I'm afraid that is what the outcome will be. Eventually more new minis to replace those he's lost.

That being said, if I lived pretty close - I would befriend this man and buy a couple of his minis. It would be my way of establishing an ongoing relationship/communication with him, so I could continue to keep tabs on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back