2016 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I haven't posted this past year, I've been rather depressed what with selling our farm and moving and just stuff. But I have been quilting up a storm, to keep my sanity. I am working on quilting my double wedding ring this winter. First time I did anything with a curved seam. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I did piece it entirely by hand, just to make sure I was dead on at the points. And I'm hand quilting it, as well. So far I am pretty pleased with the results.

13891892_10210295047993733_14201724782494570_n2.jpg

So good to hear from you! Your quilt is stunning. I really like that red that makes the circles pop out.

Are you keeping in touch with your animals at your old place? You've had a really hard time.

No, it is too painful to think about going back to the farm and seeing the horses. I don't think I could handle seeing it all again.

This is beautiful! You are very talented. It is really good to hear from you, I've thought of you several times since you last posted, and have kept you and your husband in my prayers. I don't think anyone who went through what you did could have come out not being somewhat depressed. We can't always be so strong.

No, it is too painful to think about going back to the farm and seeing the horses. I don't think I could handle seeing it all again.
You are turning your time into a beautiful project. I do better hand piecing also; it is too hard to line up corners and points by machine. One thread off and it doesn't look right.

I wanted to make a crocheted blanket after seeing Lois'. It is harder to do than you would think. Finished mine. I used the bed to block it. Had to wet the yarn and use a zillion pins. Hope I didn't leave any in the mattress! I put a crocheted flower at the corners of the squares. This is for a grand daughter. If I ever make another one, I will use flannel fabric; I think it would look better with the yarn.

heart blanket 2.jpg

heart blanket 1.jpg

Very pretty Marsha! I love the idea of flannel and the material and variegated yarn that you used. The crocheted flowers are perfect! Your granddaughter will love it!

Can't remember if I posted about this one. Decided to skip the borders laid out in the picture, and I got it quilted today. Baby quilt, only info I was given was they wanted blue, green and brown; hope I picked the right blue and green. It's 35x42" so good baby size.

2016 - baby quilt - monica - border trial.jpg

Finished the first of three Elf outfits.

AGElfOutfit_1.jpg

I love these gourd buttons! How'd you do that - how do you cut them out and prepare them for painting? I'd love to try that.

I love these gourd buttons! How'd you do that - how do you cut them out and prepare them for painting? I'd love to try that.
I cut them out with an xacto saw roughly, trim edges with a tile cutter, then sand, sand sand the edges. Use a sanding block to make sure you get it even. The back I usually sand to get off the rough stuff. The front is usually beautiful and smooth. I trace around the gourd then draw the picture in that tracing. Usually I cut out the main design and lay it on the gourd to get the placement right, then fill in the details with a fine pen. Pencil can work on pale gourd, but it won't show up on darker gourd. BUT pencil can erase and the fine pen does not. After I get it burned and painted, I cover it with about 12 layers of modge podge. I don't know how that would launder, but I tried sanding a design off with an electric palm sander after it was dry and the sander hardly even fazed it. So it's pretty tough. I think the modge podge gives a wonderful depth to the paint.

I bought two gourd barretts from a seller on Etsy. I wanted to see her work. They are nice, but I like my way better.

I've got requests for more, but don't know if I will do any more. If I do, I will only do pictures I want to do; it's too hard to try to satisfy special orders.

Thanks for the compliments on the gourds!

Thank you Marsha I have to try that, It's on my to do list! I've written down these supplies I'll need and sometime after the holidays I'll look for my old wood burner.

Do any of you have crafts ready to sell for Christmas? If you are doing The Little Horse Barn Christmas Store this year let me know so I can put up some links for it.

Back