2016 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on this baby quilt, found out I have to replace the purple, father of the baby hates purple...

2016 - dianes - elephant quilt - fabric trial.jpg

Here are my replacement options. I really like the colors in the stripe, but I think it's too busy for the quilt. So my next two picks are middle left and top right. I'll take other opinions.

2016 - dianes - elephant quilt - purple replacement 1.jpg

I like the one with the yellow in it also. Glad you are purging the purple. Would one of the other colors be nicer than the black? That seems a harsh color for a baby. The elephant is so cute.

I was thinking if I give my Oklahoma quilt to a grand son, I shouldn't have used the flowered material. But, it reminds me of the roadside wild flowers. And it's a little too brown for a grand daughter. Oh, well, I'll probably just keep it anyway...

There is purple in the elephant fabric, but it is so little, it's hardly noticeable; same with the dark blue. Not sure if I'll take the blue out as well or not; might have to go with two of those new picks, and purge the blue too, but will see what it looks like with the purple replaced first.

I might still add some of that stripe, but in just a couple of the small squares and not a rectangle; we'll see. I need to pull the purple and replace and take another picture so I can look again. [Taking pictures to look at it, sure helps see how colors/shades go together (or not).]

I don't think there should be an issue with a bit of floral print in a guys quilt.

I sent this quilt to my sister a few years ago, and my BIL claimed it as his, so flowers aren't a problem for him.

Chylon's quilt - like 2010.jpg

I made two shirts today for my sister. She lost her miniature driving horse this summer and I thought she might enjoy a couple of t shirts. I tried the iron on transfer. If that hadn't worked I could have taken the images to the Tshirt store and had them do it. They look better in person.

jh shirt 1.jpg

jh shirt 2.jpg

Chanda, I love looking at the differences in your 3 versions of the same quilt top. Really makes me stop and think about color combinations. I do like the navy for contrast but the last one was softened for a baby. Interesting!

Marsha, love the t-shirts. She will love being able to wear this precious image close to the heart. Perfect!

Finished the patriotic quilt for quilt guild, we're doing a project for local Vietnam veterans. Trying to make quilts to give to all the local vets of Vietnam (I believe there are like 40 local vets, but might be wrong on the numbers).

2016 - quilt guild patriotic quilt project.jpg

I'll be turning it in at our first meeting of the season on Monday.

Whipped up this little quilt, it's actually finished now, but I don't have that picture, from the extra pieces for that other quilt, this one has the blue and purple in it, and it's a bit smaller. I did move a couple pieces around before sewing it together.

2016 - baby quilt - like Dianes - maybe for Monica.jpg

Going shopping today. Looking for lake themed fabric, but mostly it is to have a day out with my best friend. We live about 4 hours apart so we meet halfway about 4 times a year. She is my partner in crime when it comes to adding fabric to my sewing stash. We have been friends 30 + years. Usually we meet in Charlottesville, but this time it will be in Crewe VA for breakfast then going down the street to a cute little quilt shop there that we found online. Getting an early start and celebrating our September birthdays a little early too!

I plan to get a couple tops finished before I quilt them, so here's the start of the next one.

One is laid out the wrong direction, but these are the blocks I have for the quilt; 7 finished, 13 more to go.

2016 - dianes - blue-grey-tan quilt - 7 blocks finished.jpg

Finished my Oklahoma quilt top and am dropping it off at the quilter's today. My, the fabric for the backing was costly. Eeeee! I chose a pattern of grass, since western Oklahoma is part of the Tall Grass Prairie. Instead of Warm & Natural, I chose a polyester/cotton blend batt. I liked the loft of it and it was less expensive. No idea how much the quilter will charge. It also turned out much larger than I had planned: 66 X 120.

Finished my Oklahoma quilt top and am dropping it off at the quilter's today. My, the fabric for the backing was costly. Eeeee! I chose a pattern of grass, since western Oklahoma is part of the Tall Grass Prairie. Instead of Warm & Natural, I chose a polyester/cotton blend batt. I liked the loft of it and it was less expensive. No idea how much the quilter will charge. It also turned out much larger than I had planned: 66 X 120.
Backing is really expensive, takes like 5-6 yards of regular fabric @ $10-12yd or 2.5-3 yards of extra wide backing @ $20/yard.No idea what your quilter may charge but I've seen 1-3 cents per square inch, maybe more for intricate patterns.:

She charges $.018 for regular design and $.05 for custom quilting around applique, etc. Mine will be regular. I think I am going to use a wild flower pattern all over with a wheat design in the area below the state. But I'm going to look at some other Pantos online; we didn't have time to look them all up today. She has 3 quilts ahead of mine. It's exciting. And I'm nervous. Lots of money to spend if it doesn't turn out beautifully.

Working on my next top, so if I get a chance to haul tops to our meeting room, I can pin them on tabletops rather than on the top of the bed.

I might need to rearrange a few blocks for placement, but this is pretty much it:

2016 - dianes - blue-grey-tan quilt - blocks finished.jpg

Finished the crochet quilt thing. I love it! My hope it that It will bring a smile to a shut in this Christmas season. This was made from fabric scraps and baby yarn.

crochet%20quilt.jpg

Latest posts

Back