2010 foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Reaction score
The first are some unusual colors from our Palomino stallion

notsurewhatcolor2010fillysirepaldam.jpg
Cnv0131.jpg
filly

Cnv0138.jpg
Cnv0128.jpg
colt
Cnv0110.jpg
filly

this group are sired by Canterbury Spark Of Destiny my snowcap stallion
2010fillysiredbySparkOfDestiny.jpg
fillyfilly

Fewspotcolt2010.jpg
Cnv0117.jpg
palomino fewspot colt

Cnv0087.jpg
filly

Last edited by a moderator:
these 2 are sired by Mountain High Tiger Too both are colts.
2010Tigercoltmottlingonly.jpg
Tigers2010fewspotcolt.jpg

This next little guy is sired by Canterbury Puttin On The Ritz

Cnv0116.jpg
Cnv0129-2.jpg

Congrats on your lovely babies! A nice variety to look at!!

Wow! I can't imagine having that many foals! You have my respect...I'd go nuts foaling out that many mares! The most I've ever had to watch were 3 in one year, and that is more than enough for me.

What a variety of colors!

Thanks everyone. Freeland the first filly in group #1, is one, I am going to have to test for color, she is out of a visual brown/black mare who was sired by a bay roan and out of a bay roan mare and her sire was my palomino stallion, so what color is she? I suppose I will need to test her dam to see if she is a smokey black, which could make the filly a cremello , if mare is not dilute then I don't know what color filly is. The 3rd filly in the first group is out of a coal black mare and the same palomino stallion so what color is that filly? I have been getting some really unexpected colors from this golden palomino stallion, I was expecting palominos,sorrels, etc. instead of these odd colors.

I am also going to test my snowcap appy stallion for champagne as he has thrown mostly blue eyed foals all of them have been a diluted color from black and other non dilute mares.I have included pictures of 3 of his daughters.

CanterburyGameelagraceful-1.jpg

Cnv0065.jpg
picture of his daughter Yasmine

Cnv0142.jpg
picture of daughter Zanha

The first are some unusual colors from our Palomino stallion

notsurewhatcolor2010fillysirepaldam.jpg
Cnv0131.jpg
filly

Cnv0138.jpg
Cnv0128.jpg
colt
Cnv0110.jpg
filly

Freeland the first filly in group #1, is one, I am going to have to test for color, she is out of a visual brown/black mare who was sired by a bay roan and out of a bay roan mare and her sire was my palomino stallion, so what color is she? I suppose I will need to test her dam to see if she is a smokey black, which could make the filly a cremello , if mare is not dilute then I don't know what color filly is. The 3rd filly in the first group is out of a coal black mare and the same palomino stallion so what color is that filly? I have been getting some really unexpected colors from this golden palomino stallion, I was expecting palominos,sorrels, etc. instead of these odd colors.
Champagnes and Appaloosas are two colors that are definately out of my area of understanding, so take this with a grain of salt.

The first two pictures (I'm assuming are the same foal?) definitely appear to be a double dilute with the blue eyes. Smokey Cream (double Cream on Black) would give a color similar to that, and I think Champagne would give that metalic look. However, if the dam of that foal was sired by a Bay roan, and out of a Bay Roan, she could not carry a Cream gene to produce a double dilute. But, if one of those parents was actually a very dark Smutty Buckskin rather than a Bay, it could be possible.

The last foal in the group "looks" like it could be a Smokey Silver Black (Black + Silver + Cream) which could be possible if the Palomino carries Silver.

Nancy I think that first group from your palomino is black based, not red based.

They should be dynamite for people wanting to breed for buckskins!

Your third filly will be like this mare of mine. She is an unusual smoky black with amber eyes. Is black based and carries a cream gene. She does not carry silver. Her eyes started out blue and changed to amber. She is negative for champagne.

china3.jpg
china1.jpg

Nancy this colt of ours this year was tested and is double cream and double black ! He started out looking like coffee ice cream with his white face and high white legs. We are DYING TO CLIP HIM!!!

bailey1.jpg
bailey2.jpg

He is a Smoky Cream Splashed White Overo Pinto Colt, with blue eyes. Homozygous for Black and Cream !!

It took two rounds to figure him out with Animal Genetics. I had not tested for red factor the first time thinking he was a dark palomino (I have only had one palomino foal here). When he came back as a double cream I said "No way, you can see his color against the white". So we had them test for black and sure enough he carried two black genes and is homozygous for both black and cream.

Again, these horses are a goldmine for people wanting to have a palomino and buckskin program. Put with a bay and you can only get a smoky black or a buckskin.

If your colt is carrying only one black gene then you could also get a palomino.

Latest posts

Back