1st mini horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Just for fun, do all of you still have your 1st mini and is it just a pet or part of your breeding program, showstring, or just retired to the best life possible if not deceased?

Mine is a 30" A/R 9 yr old bay stud that is part of my breeding program and is the heart of my farm. I even named my farm after him and his mare from their coloring as he is bay and her a silver dapple for Silver Maple Miniatures.
default_biggrin.png

How about you...

I still have my first Mini. Showing her was the reason why I got hooked. I started showing her in driving and then in halter. Her daughter produced my first AMHA World Champion.

I still have my second Mini too, but she has just been sold.

Yes I still have my first and second miniatures. My second, Laptop produced a beautiful filly this year, but that will it for awhile. I used to drive her all over the place. I only have 3 miniatures left, the rest are Shetlands now.

My first was a rescue mini and when I moved out to our farm I gave him to a little boy that had just lost his big horse. He renamed him Chief and he still has him even though he is now a teenager. We had named him U B Nice...LOL

We still have our little guy who turned 10 this past June. Ever since we got little Manny he's been the cream-puff of the farm. He was gelded when he was about 4 years old altho he never had a studdish personality. He's got a little bit of driving training I've put into him, but I noticed that he didn't have that 'zest' for driving, even if it was just for pleasure around the farm. He enjoys hovering around people and being a lap horse.

IMG_5440.jpg

I do not still own all the minis I've ever owned, but yes, I do still own my first mini -- Eclipse. He is a 1999 black and white pinto we got at 3mos (yes) old and raised, gelded, had trained to drive, etc. Eclipse isn't my first horse (had / have big horses) but is the first mini and he is also the first horse we raised up from a foal. He may not be as fancy as some of our other minis, but he is still one of our most loved.

Eclipse%20061808%20166.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I still have my first mini and he will never leave. Red Hot is now 17 and I have had him since he was a 2 yr old. He has an extensive show record in both AMHA and AMHR and he taught me most everything about the mini world.

I just sold the first mare I ever had and she is now 16. The lady who bought her is really great and has become a very good friend.

yes we still have the first minis we bought back in 2001 they were rescues then and still a part of our farm they will most probably have a lifetime home here. They are not used for breeding as the stallion though a very nice horse is the old style heavy mini and the little mare has thyroid issues that make me not want to breed her. She is sound now and could be bred but she has foot issues from the thyroid problem so they just live happily in adjoining stalls and adjoining turnout. If they ever did go anywhere it would have to be together to a lifetime home so they might as well stay here.

Unfortunately no, I do not still have my first mini, at least not in person but yes in my heart.. I lost her two years ago (wow has it really been that long?) to colic at the age of 15..
default_no.gif
Didn't get to say good-bye as I was away at school and no way I could get home.. I miss her sooo much, not the same without her welcome whinny
default_sad.png

star.png

Yes, we still have our first one. Snickers was purchased in 1999 as a nine year old. Very gentle and was driven in parades for a few years. His rear legs won't let him drive any more but he still gets around good at 19 years young. Also have our second horse, a mare who turned 21 this year. This is their forever home.

Yes, our first mini was OMP Pizazzs Yessiree Bob. We bought him as a yearling gelding in 2000. We still show him every few years (he even went 6th in his driving class at World last year in his only trip to that show), and he drives in the local parades. He'll be here for the rest of his life. Bob is the reason we bought more minis.

BobDrivingJuly08websmall.jpg

Yes, We still have our very first. She was a weanling when we bought her in 1990.........making her 19! Her name is MeeToo and we love her to pieces. She is still a broodmare, but taking this year off because she allowed several other foals in her group to nurse from her and it all pulled her down. Our second mini, Raven, sadly passed away from cancer or we'd probably still have her too.

Our first mini was to replace big horses so we got a gelding that was 15. He taught us driving and all about doing in-hand classes. He's 21 this year and still going strong. He loves being washed and clipped up because that means he's "going" somewhere and not being left at home! He has been "retired" at least 3 times in his lifetime - maybe this time it will stick. We still use him for short parades and to give kids carts rides. We did have an offer for him once after we had gotten others to show but hubby wouldn't hear of it (and he's not the "horse" person here). He'll be here forever or until we (our age) can't take care any more.

My first Mini is Maggie and I still have her. Trained her to cart among other things. Think she is 15 years old this summer and I have owned her since she was 4 years old. She is of the old Dell Terra lines and only had one live foal. Theia is that foal and I still have her, too. Maggie will never been bred again, she is hard to keep in foal and I don't want to chance loosing her.

Maggieheadshot15July09small.jpg

Yes, we still have our first mini, Cowboy, (aka SRF Masters Touch) and all the ones that followed too! We plan to take Cowboy to a Pinto show next weekend to try to get the 9 points he needs for his Pinto Championship. We bought him in 2004 as a furry 2 year old stallion, had him immediately gelded, and have never looked back.

Our first co-owned horse, no. We sold him to a young girl in 4-H who cleaned up with him. I would love to have him back.

However, "MY" first Mini will stay forever! Sunny is my heart horse....
default_wub.png

Lucy

We had our first horse-Bond Grey Dawn (Mollie) until last Saturday, when we had to have her put down - she was almost 28 yrs old and had been having health issues when she colicked. She was a wonderful mare and our inspiration for breeding and showing miniatures. She was a wonderful lady and is greatly missed, having her put down was the hardest decision i have had to make in a long time. We are blessed to have a filly from her, and she has her wonderful attitude and presence.

Our first mini was Havenbrooks Encores Moondancer and we still have her. Dam to my beloved Tiny that we lost a couple years ago. I often wonder how Linda Rodriquez is doing. I know when she dispesed her herd (havenbrook) she thought she would have them again someday

Midnight is my first and we have had him longer then I've been around. He'll be 28 this year and we've had him for 23 years. He's just a pet now, but I used to drive, jump and show him. He's my best bud, and I love him dearly.
default_wub.png

CCF0Midlargevrop.jpg

this is my boy sonny, he was my very first mini he is still here, still grumpy, but the best horse ever!!!

sonnyheadshot.jpg

Latest posts

Back