Four mares up on cam now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The girls are at days 283-300. So from here on in, it can only get more exciting! I gave everyone their immunizations and did a worming of all horses in the barn. I'm so ready for someone to get serious about foaling.

Have a good weekend everyone

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
and I have a front row seat.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

You have a good weekend too.
saludando.gif

Fly and Marcella down sternal, Nellie and Ladybug standing quietly at3:31am...

the girls are certainly going well for you Amanda!! definitley have babies this month!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

Yes, I noticed they were very quiet. I gave them extra hay because it was so cold last night, so I guess they were just too busy feeding themselves all night long. Floated everyone's teeth today, already got them boostered and wormed. I'm ready whenever they are; but I dont mind if they wait until this cold snap is behind us. Nellie is at day 302 today. I've had them foal as early as day 311 here, so I'm watching udders very carefully, but nothing too exciting is going on yet.

Have a good one.

amanda

Wow, had a interesting piece of progress here today. Took Fly's udder pic this morning, nothing too exciting.

294amdays.jpg

Then I went out to pat and talk to them at 4pm. Checked all udders and was shocked to find this on Fly. HOLY COW, hard to believe she made this much progress in just 8 hours. She's between 294-310 days today. I had bred her for two sets of breedings and had assumed she took in the second set, but maybe not. Will have to watch her real close from now on. NO milk yet, but will use the test strips as soon as she starts producing some. If you all remember, she is my maiden mare, so who knows how long she'll carry.

294dayspm.jpg

aktion033.gif
wow exciting stuff Amanda
aktion033.gif
i am off to bed now but I will be watching the girls from about 1.00am your time.

3.15 am : Fly and Nell are down sternal Ladybug is sleeping standing and Marcella is eating. oops quick change as Ladybug goes down sternal too.

6.40 am and all is quiet. Nell is playing with her bucket "hint hint"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
and guess what Ladybug is doing??
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Little update on Fly. Yesterday her udder got very large for a maiden mare, bigger than all the other experienced broodmares. I could not get any liquid from her yesterday, but today I got two drops of 'milk'. It was oily and pale yellow.

She's at day 295-310 depending on whether she took the first set of breedings or the second.

I know everyone (well most folk) on LB seems to be in favour of milk testing, but it is something I never do as I was told years ago never to 'break' the natural seal on the end of a mare's teats as infection can get in. Interestingly on another topic on the Miniature Horse forum Dr Taylor also mentions this possibilty!

But if anyone does want to do the milk test then I wouldn't start trying to get milk to test until the mare has a reasonably full udder at the very least. Wait until most of the other signs say that she is getting really close to foaling before using the tests - at least that way there is less chance of picking up an infection several weeks before she foals.

Fly and her friends are happily tucking into their evening hay.
default_yes.gif

Anna. I've heard that opinion about not 'breaking the seal' and I've heard that there is no such thing to worry about. I've always tested my mares right from when they have enough milk to test. I"m a biologist, It's impossible for me not to access all info available. It's the scientist in me. I've had 8 foals so far and have used the test strips with all of them. I try to make informed decisions using what my instincts and research lead me to believe is right. It works for me. But thanks for your concern. It's the thing I notice most about horse people. They are often on polar opposites of a issue and yet both have healthy horses. So maybe there's a bit of right in each opinion and even a bit of wrong. Good thing the horse is a accepting creature.

I have your mares up Amanda... all standing quietly at 9: 51pm... could we get some new piccies? would love to see how much Fly has changed!! she might be a good textbook mare and bag up huge get wax and everything!
default_aktion033.gif
we can hope anyways lol

I'm with the Biologist on this one
laugh.gif
sorry Anna, we have been trying to budge you on this one for nearly a year but boy are you stubborn
rolleyes.gif
I might have to come over to Wales with a few bottles of good Italian wine and some
smokesmile.gif
smokesmile.gif
perhaps after a knees up you will give in
new_rofl.gif

Only kidding,
bighug.gif

All udders about the same today, so I didn't bother with new pictures. Fly is the only one with any milk yet, which makes sense as she has the biggest udder (silly maiden mare). her milk is still oily and clear. I'm thinking she only has a couple weeks to go but only her baby really knows the answer to that one.

Off to work, have a good one everyone!

amanda

Well they are all tucked in for the night. Fly had a little more milk tonight than she had this morning, enough to test in fact. The milk is very oily, slightly opaque and pale yellow right now. The results of the milk test strips is ~20% and Nonfoaling. The thing I have to keep in mind is that her mother Ladybug, tested at just 40% and nonfoaling for her last two deliveries. So I am watching very closely for changes in fly for sure. Things are moving along.

Latest posts

Back