Four mares up on cam now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Cassie. It's so wonderful to be able to know someone is watching them when I can't. I noticed Nellie is also acting a little odd, standing in a different corner for a long time and she laid down which she rarely does. Baby must be making her uncomfortable.

Ladybug was just enjoying a nice bum rubbing
laugh.gif

3.15am and all is quiet, they are all hoovering their stables
laugh.gif

Amanda what milk test do you use? I haven't heard those numbers before
saludando.gif

Renee, I use Mother Nature test strips. There are two sets of pads, one set gives you the percentage of the chance your mare will foal in the next 24 hours and the other set gives you a foaling or non foaling answer. The percentage colour choices available are 10, 40, 85 and 95%. Ladybug almost always foals at 40% and nonfoaling, but the rest of the mares do not go until they hit 85-95% and in the foaling category. I'll take a picture of the strip this morning so you can see what I'm talking about. It's a little confusing to explain.

amanda

Thanks for the explanation, I have only ever used Foal-time so it is all new to me (plus I am a bit slow)
laugh.gif

Have a great day!
saludando.gif

Here is the bottle of the test strips so you can see what I'm talking about.

SDC17324.jpg

SDC17326.jpg

Hope this is a little clearer now.

amanda

Fly's milk is easier still to express and is now sticky as well as yellowish and oily. Here is the test strip results. I'd say we are leaning towards 40% and nonfoaling, which is further along than yesterday when she was just above 10%(I estimated about 20%). Hey, it's the scientist in me, I just can't help to quanitfy this whole thing.

296days-1.jpg

Sounds exciting!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
That's quite a jump in a very short time!

I used these strips for the first time last yr and found them excellent. And actually I never bothered too much with all the mixing they suggest. I just got a drop of milk squirted in a drop of the water, gave it a swirl and then dipped in my strip. All done in the collection cup so all very quick and easy.

Hope you dont mind me adding my pics from last yr.

Just to show you what Slaney did

here is her test at 346 days

SlaneyandShimmerJune4th2011013.jpg

SlaneyandShimmerJune4th2011014.jpg

And then at 347 Morning Sample

Slaneymilk347days.jpg

Slaneymilkresult347days.jpg

And evening sample (she foaled a few hrs later)(sorry a little blurry)

Slaneyeveningmilksample.jpg

Slaneyeveningmilktest.jpg

Hi Karina, so you basically ran it at a 50% dilution? I have heard from others on the Forum that the dilution rate doesn't really matter, but haven't tried a side by side test to see if it does. I used the 1:6 dilution rate suggested in the instructions and had good success with that methodfor the last few years (haven't missed a foaling yet out of 8) . I think next time I test I'll try a undiluted and a properly diluted one and compare the results.

Yes Amanda I basically did a 50/50 dilution but somedays I didnt even bother to dilute and still got the same result.

But I will be using them again as I found them great and great peace of mind.

Sorry Eagle, for some reason my dazzle usb was loose and the signal was not getting through correctly. I put it in another outlet and it is streaming fine now.

amanda

2. 45 am and all is quiet other than some itching and butt rubbing from Fly and Marcella. Even Bug is stood quietly
laugh.gif

3.30 am and 3 are down just Bug is standing

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladybug having a good butt scratching session! LOL!! Fly down and resting quietly.

3.20 am and I can't get the cam to work
no.gif
I don't know if I should call and wake Amanda?
no.gif

Latest posts

Back