Four mares up on cam now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4:49am and I can see the girls but it is frozen and just has the spinning wheel in front...
default_wacko.png
has it been working for you at all Renee?

Darnit, sorry guys that USB is loose and if something touches it wrong, it can set it off. I caught it at 5am. Sorry to worry you all. The girls are not close enough that I would want to impose on you guys having to spend long distance $ to let me know the cams are off. I'll try to keep a closer eye on it . My hubby usually gets up at 3 am every morning but he slept in this morning. ONce again, I apologize, it is wonderful of you guys to help me out like this and I sure dont want to frustrate you.

amanda

Going out very soon to feed, will update afterwards. It is -15 degrees Celcius out here, so I imagine the girls are not thinking about foaling, gosh I hope not anyways. We had a lovely Saturday, it was like spring. Hopefully they foal on a day like that and not on one like today.

Well, back from feeding, not surprisingly there is no new development in udder land. I have to correct my earlier temperature reading. It is -18 degrees celcius without the windchill factor. All reasonable mares are keeping their udders and foals tucked in nice and cozy inside their bodies today.
default_smile.png

On a different note, looks like I may have 2 foals due in July of this year. I have been feeling Carmels belly for the last few days and I'm pretty certain I felt good sized kicks from her yesterday and this morning. Here is a picture of Carmel. She's a doll.

SDC16812.jpg

Please excuse the almost flat tire, I didn't realize it until I got out of the cart.

thanks for the update Amanda, I was worried the girls would get up to something and I wouldn't be able to help but I was worried about waking you
wub.gif

I am now seriously green and I might have to come over and steal Carmel, she is just too cute for words
laugh.gif
How big is she?

Carmel is 33 inches (just barely). She is the softest, sweetest mare in my whole barn. She was a maiden when she delivered my little junior stallion (Taylor), he was not in the proper position and I had to go in up to my elbow and find the offending front leg and bring it out. Carmel stood perfectly still for me just like she knew I was helping (poor thing must have been in awful pain) and she was a great mom to Taylor. This will be her second foal. I'm very pleased that she might indeed have taken.
default_smile.png

All snoozing quietly except Nell, who is doing her hoovering!

It IS cold Renee. It is supposed to warm up tonight and be balmy +7 tomorrow though. Nothing much to report on the girls. They are in a holding pattern, udders slightly bigger but not full. Meanwhile February is rolling along like mad. Nellie is due around Feb. 29th, but I wouldn't be shocked if Fly or Marcella beat her to it. It's all good fun. The waiting is hard but it is all part of the game of breeding minis.

Slightly looser woohoo than normal. What do you all think? This is my maiden Fly. It's not much, but it's all I got in the lines of progree today.
default_smile.png

SDC17402.jpg

They are at days 298 - 310 today. We're going to have a string of warmer days coming up, I'm willing to bet we'll see some action in udder land then.

3.00am and the cam won't come up for me
gaah.gif

3.15 am and it is back. phewwwwwwww

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, I'm going to throw a wrench into the pot now! Some of you will remember Buffy, she's not on cam right now but here is her story.

Bred her in April, 2nd last breeding day was april 18th. Waited the 40 days and tested with weefoal38, got a sort of negative result. I could just barely see a faint line but the distributor of the test felt it was negative. weefoal38 -one line is negative, two is positive.

1stbreeding.jpg

So that was fine. I decided to bring in the stud again and bred him to Buffy and Carmel in August. Both had normal 6-7day heats. No reason to think Buffy was pregnant, she acted in heat.

Bought another weefoal38 and tested buff at day 44, with an undeniable negative result.

2ndbreeding.jpg
Now remember this test is only good for 38-120 days pregnant, if Buff took in the first breedings in April she'd be ~180 days at that point.

Confused yet, it's going to get worse.

So I watched Buff and she started looking preggers, so I ordered a weefoal120, and got a huge positive result. One line is pregnant for the weefoal120 test.

weefoal120004.jpg

So now I'm thinking that's ok, she's 120 days preggers from her August breeding and she is just starting to look it.

Fast forward to February, Buffy would be at day 179 or so today (from the August breeding). So I've been checking for the foal to kick. Have felt it, so I know she is preggers. eVerything seems in place and I assume the weefoal 38 ran from the August breeding was wrong. So I'm feeling for kicking this morning and am rewarded with a very forceful kick and roll. A little more than I'd expect at this stage. So I check her udder. WTH!!!

SDC17416.jpg

This is not the udder of a 180day pregnant mare. This is the udder of a 300 day pregnant mare. So I check for milk (which was completely dried up after Sully was weaned, not a drop to be found) There is a good stream and I collect it to test.

200or300milk.jpg

Tried the undiluted and diluted sample side by side. Seems you cannot run it undiluted. She's tested at nonfoaling and about 10-20%, which is about right for her at day 300. She likes to foal around 320-330.

200or300days.jpg

So girls what do yah think? I'm stumped. She is not big as she normally gets when she is 300 days but her udder is big as it would be at that time.

Just when you think you got it all figured out. I'll be watching her like a hawk, but dont be surprised if Ladybug gets moved out of her stall and Buffy gets moved in. I'm so confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back