2024 Hours Driven

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I took my boys, Rocky and Pepper out ground driving for about 1/2 an hour each. It seems like they're ready for the next step. Pulling a tire? Wood plank? Anyway, they appear to be more ready for the next step then I am !
That's fantastic! I've put a rope around the single tree of the board or tire I'm going to have them pull and then around my shoulders while I long line them so they hear the sound before it being attached to them. Once they're calm with that, I'll attach the traces to it. You're getting serious! That's really exciting.

Standards Equine - Hearty congratulations to you both! That is a wonderful accomplishment and gorgeous buckle. 🤩 Your yellow belt sounds perfect.😁
May you wear it happily for many years!

1roadtoad that is terrific! I imagine Pepper and Rocky have as much fun as you do ground driving. We used a tire with bolts that the harness lines snapped into and it worked well. The tire is a 16” tractor tire (small front tire) that weighs between 40# - 50#.

One hour for Billy today. I tried to pose him in front of a political sign for County Commissioner in our yard, but he wasn't having anything to do with that little white sign.
We've been working on backing up his toes, and his Equine Fusion driving boots fit so much better.

Billy is a smart boy to stay away from politics 😁 !

1.5 hours ground driving Peanut this week.

My Cappy and Oatie both had teeth out this week, it's been awfully stressful. Cappy had a recurring sinus infection from a root and had to go to Tuft's university for surgery. Then when he healed (3 weeks) he had the bad root and another tooth removed on Thursday. Oatie had 5 teeth out on Tuesday. He has EOTHR which is a malady of the older horses. I've spent all week giving banamine, antibiotics and flushing mouths. Cappy has a flushing system in his sinus and we have to run saline through it once a day which doesn't take long, or bother him, but it's kinda icky. It's been a lot. Thankfully my husband is right there 100%.

My Cappy and Oatie both had teeth out this week, it's been awfully stressful. Cappy had a recurring sinus infection from a root and had to go to Tuft's university for surgery. Then when he healed (3 weeks) he had the bad root and another tooth removed on Thursday. Oatie had 5 teeth out on Tuesday. He has EOTHR which is a malady of the older horses. I've spent all week giving banamine, antibiotics and flushing mouths. Cappy has a flushing system in his sinus and we have to run saline through it once a day which doesn't take long, or bother him, but it's kinda icky. It's been a lot. Thankfully my husband is right there 100%.
Yowie!! More teeth troubles? You and your horses have had your share. Does the vet have an opinion on why this is happening? That flushing business gets old, but they don't seem to mind it.

Dapper Dan had all his teeth when I lost him. Billy has had one removed (so far). I will look up EOTHR--I haven't heard of it. But then, I had never heard of luxated patella until my dog got it. We'll just take these conditions one at a time, please!

Looked up EOTHR and it looks very serious. (I suppose our animals--and we--are living longer so we are bound to suffer some maladies.)

The EOTHR (I always get the letters out of order!) is a mean thing. I didn't know much about it until it happened to Oatie. The roots get huge and bulbous causing pain. Oatie seems so much happier with the teeth out, of course he's still on some banamine but he's chewing great and is feeling good.

They are fairly certain Cappy's infection came back (or never resolved 100%) because when the offending tooth was pulled 18 months ago the root was left! We have a different vet now and a different surgeon did his sinus and a equine dentist did the teeth. I hope he's going to be ok. I am angry at the original vet about this mess.

Latest posts

Back