When does everyone put their cameras up?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHollowFarm

Reaction score
My surprise bogo mare is 294 days from the date she was put in with the stud(6 week window). When my vet did a confirmation ultrasound he believes she took earlier in that window than later. So I'm basing it all on the first day she went in just to be safe.

I have started bringing her in at night to get used to her stall, and I'm checking her for looseness, a bag, etc morning and night. She has some swelling in her teats but no bag, and is loosening up in the hind end.

I'm wondering when people typically start putting in the cameras, she's a maiden if that makes a difference. I do not have wifi here so I had to buy a camera with its own data plan, and our budget is tight at the moment so I don't want to pay for the plan longer than necessary but obviously the safety of mare and foal come first.

Adding photos of her for posterity as I don't believe she's foaling tonight, but we all know any animal likes to play tricks when it comes to deliveries!

Attachments

• Picsart_24-02-04_12-17-42-937.jpg
    Picsart_24-02-04_12-17-42-937.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-02-04_12-27-22-531.jpg
    Picsart_24-02-04_12-27-22-531.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-02-04_12-44-08-480.jpg
    Picsart_24-02-04_12-44-08-480.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Unfortunately with maidens it’s hard to know. I want mine on camera by 300 days at the latest. Is hard wiring an option for you?

Unfortunately with maidens it’s hard to know. I want mine on camera by 300 days at the latest. Is hard wiring an option for you?
Unfortunately, no. It's not super expensive, i was just hoping she'll foal within 30 days of me putting it up, so I only pay for one month, but that likely means she will drop it one day after I have to pay for the next months data 😂

Unfortunately, no. It's not super expensive, i was just hoping she'll foal within 30 days of me putting it up, so I only pay for one month, but that likely means she will drop it one day after I have to pay for the next months data 😂
Just checking, how were you looking at running it? It was actually cheaper for me to hardwire then to do wireless but it may be location.

Just checking, how were you looking at running it? It was actually cheaper for me to hardwire then to do wireless but it may be location.
It has a data plan off a cell network, so I activate a SIM card and put it in. I went ahead and put it up today, right before my son's steer jumped 2 fences and was running around, which got my mare running and she slipped and fell, so now I'm paranoid something's going to go wrong and happy the camera is already up!

Attachments

• UBox_IMG_20240205_20382525_3_118_.jpg
    UBox_IMG_20240205_20382525_3_118_.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
I'd definitely like more info about the camera and data you bought. I've been talking about doing one forever, but I still don't have one. I don't know anything about technology so it's hard for me to make a decision.

I'd definitely like more info about the camera and data you bought. I've been talking about doing one forever, but I still don't have one. I don't know anything about technology so it's hard for me to make a decision.
I got it on Amazon. So far it's been really nice, you can set it to run continuous, motion detection, or just when you pull it up on your phone. Zoom and panning, night vision or you can turn on lights on the camera itself, and its solar powered. This is the link. You can share the feed but they need to download the app, and only 3 viewers can be viewing at once.

Mine didn't come with the set up manual, but I got in touch with the company and they emailed one. Also you'll need to get a micro SD but they are fairly cheap.

Xparkin Outdoor Cameras for Home Security - 4G LTE Cellular No WiFi Solar Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor with Floodlight Color Night Vision, PIR Detection Siren, 2 Way Talk - Grey https://a.co/d/hmmeHh2

Also, just a warning, it's only been one night, but I was checking it all the time 😂 I went to the grocery store after I did evening chores and put her in for the night and I'm walking through the store watching her eat her hay 😂😂

Thank you! I know I will have a problem watching it non stop, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. 🤣 I don't mind the sleepless nights, but it would be nice not to have to run out to the barn constantly.

Latest posts

Back