Zoning and Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the letter itself:

Hello, my name is Paige ********. I am a resident of the Springfield Township of Hamilton, Ohio at 5555 ****** Drive (***-****-****-** is the parcel ID). For the past few months I have been looking into purchasing a miniature horse and pasturing it in our back yard, but I didn’t think to check with zoning laws until yesterday and to my dismay discovered that miniature horses are categorized under livestock, and therefore are said to need 3 acres of land. I am writing to you to seek an answer on whether or not you would make an exception or change to this.
For some time I have spoken through the internet with a friend who owns, shows, and trains 10 of her own miniature horses, and owns 3 horses as well. We have spoken various times about the care and maintenance that comes with owning a mini, who says the size of my yard is perfectly suited for the pasture of a single mini. I am well aware of the cost and time that must be put into the ownership of a miniature horse, as well as what we would need to do before purchasing one (ie. Removing poisonous plants, fixing up fences, proper shelter, etc). Miniatures stand from 25" at the shoulder to 34", and I plan on getting one on the smaller side. If you're having trouble visualizing their size, larger miniatures stand eye-to-eye with a Saint Bernard, and only create as much noise or waste as a dog. Miniatures also tend to weigh 150 lbs. and usually no more than 250 lbs.. I have been volunteering at the Winton Woods Riding Center for the past year, and have been riding and handling horses for the past four years quite frequently and believe I have enough knowledge to properly care for a miniature horse. Aside from the exercise made available in the yard, I plan on taking him on frequent walks and also training him, as I have even heard people have seen another girl do not so far from where I live.

Sincerely, Paige ********
Things I plan on adding:

-A plan on manure disposal

-Statement from Neighbors

-Check zoning laws about outdoor building

-Call the Nursing Home, Brent, etc about visitations

Any suggestions or corrections are very appreciated, I've really got my hopes up that I'll get a positive response from them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Paige,

I think i'd ad in there their SPECIFIC heigh ranges not just "25" and up". the words "and up" could mean they could go up to 18.HH or so!! be very specific and say Anything under 38" at the withers... or under "34" at the withers" OR "25"-38".. to give them an idea. Under is a better term than "and up". I think i'd also take the time to figure out what you plan to do with waste disposal ect to ad to that letter. Many times livestock are not welcome in towns because of their manure ect. One town around here you must collect your manure in a garbage can and either take it to the dump and put it in the compost pile or figure out another way to dispose of it, but it must not remain in a giant manure pile on the property. Think of all the ways that you can appease the town before sending in the letter! Sometimes just knowing how to care for a horse is not enough! It will take work on your part to figure out what the towns concerns are with having live stock and how you may possibly be able to convince them to bypass it for yourself. Don't be surprised if they wont bend either!

You might even try to get them to see about looking up "exotic pet" We have a client that has less then 1 acre, and they are allowed to keep two miniatures on the property under 34" and have had them there for over 5 years now. Good luck!
default_yes.gif
:

I would also recommend including pictures! Pick out a few adorable ones that also have a person in them to print up and accompany your letter. I'm sure that the owners of the photos on line would be happy to allow you to use them, if you ask.

I've heard that some people in your position have been successful, some not. But it's worth a try!

Good luck,

MA

You might talk to your city council or homeowners association about the rules and some proposed changes if you get their ear. The following are the rules adopted by Austin, Texas, and might be helpful to you:

§ 3-2-4 KEEPING OTHER LIVESTOCK.

(A) All horses, mules, jacks, jennets, cattle, hogs, sheep or goats or similar animals, shall be kept in a stable, shed, pen or other enclosure meeting the requirements of § 3-1-1. For all such animals, other than miniature breeds of livestock, such stable, shed, pen or other enclosure shall be at least 100 feet from every adjoining lot in any residential district, as such district may have been duly designated and defined under this Code of Ordinances. Every such stable, shed, pen or other enclosure, wherever located within the city for the keeping of such animals, other than miniature breeds of livestock, shall be at least 50 feet from every building or structure used for sleeping, dining and living.

(B) Miniature livestock are horses, mules, jacks, jennets, cattle, hogs, pigs, sheep, goats or similar animals meeting the published breed definition for registration by a recognized association for breeding such miniature animals, and weighing less than 200 pounds and standing no taller than 36 inches at the shoulder or withers. When one or two female or neutered male miniature livestock are kept, the stable, shed, pen, or other enclosure in which they are kept shall be located at least 20 feet from every building or structure used for sleeping, dining or living, other than structures owned or occupied by the keeper of the livestock. When more than two but less than six female or neutered male miniature livestock are kept, the stable, shed, pen or other enclosure in which they are kept shall be located at least 50 feet from every building or structure used for sleeping, dining or living. When six or more female or neutered male miniature livestock are kept, the stable, shed, pen or other enclosure in which they are kept shall be located at least 100 feet from every building or structure used for sleeping, dining or living. When any number of unneutered male miniature livestock are kept, the stable, shed, pen or other enclosure in which they are kept shall be located at least 100 feet from every building or structure used for sleeping, dining or living.

('81 Code, § 3-2-9) (Ord. 910321-E)

Don't forget your neighbors! Ask a few close neighbors to write simple statements saying they would not protest to having a miniature horse in the area, it may go a long way to helping your cause. Also, when including pictures, try to send one with a miniature in a clean, tidy paddock about the size yours would be. And I would remove the part about horses not attacking, its just to iffy as horses can and will bite or kick if provoked. Even a miniature horse can hurt somebody and I don't think the zoning people would be nieve enough to think otherwise.

Add information about how large your paddock will be, what fencing material you will use to contain him/her, how you will store feed (rodent problem), how you will control flies around the stable, and how you will store and dispose of your manure.

Paige,

I myself just went through this not too long ago, but I moved to a new home where I could keep my mini's...however...I was dead set on working with my city to allow me to keep a mini at my house!

One thing to say - cities care more about hearing of a mini that is being brought in to visit the elderly, hold presentations in parks or schools for children to learn about them, and I even had an offer to help social workers (if parents get taken away, all they offer the kids are teddy bears for comfort...they suggested bringing in a mini instead to interact with the child for a few hours until things are handled). etc. A city cares more of what you and your mini can do for the city, instead of what other kind of "pet" can be allowed.

My idea of bringing in a tiny mini undero 26" as a pet fell through, they said if I were given special permission to keep one, soon they'd be overloaded with other people in town wanting one and if everyone got one during the "fad" then what happens to all the backyard mini's when the fad dies down?

A special permit may be able to be made if you play by their rules...offer to take the mini to elderly homes, schools, etc. offer to be available for business parties in the parks or wherever (sometimes you may get paid!) but, know that it's a LARGE battle and become good friends with your area's Alderman. They are who will help bring you to the top! Make your proposal to him/her and pray to god they like animals!

Chin up, and good luck!!!

Wow, I really apreciate all the suggestions <3 Right now I'm going to go through my letter and add on and as I do so I'll write up responses to your individual posts as well :aktion033:

Sorry this took so long, everybody, I had it almost all done and was about to add a response to the last post when I got called up to dinner =[ By the time I finished and came back down to the computer to finish my sister was on the computer and said that the internet conveniently decided to close the progress I had made so far :ugh: so here it is again. The ones before went into more detail but after spending so much time on the first rounds of responses I don't feel like typing so much xP

Boinky - Wow, that slipup really could have cost me there! Thanks for catching that, I really appreciate it!
default_wacko.png
: I'll do a little bit of research on the local dump before I add on about a specific manure plan but thanks for pointing that out too, as I'm sure that will be a big point for them. As to the leniancy of the zoning laws I have no clue how they are about changing thing like this...I haven't ever heard of any big issues with them before.

Black Pearl - I'm not sure I understand 100% what you're saying, so sorry if this doesn't seem to apply xP I know that currently they are listed under livestock. Though I asked her to back in fall my mom called the zoning office on thursday we found out they were listed under livestock, and according to law livestock need 3 acres x.x

Miniv - Haha, great idea!
default_yes.gif
: I'll be sure to look for some and I bet these'll be helpful; it seems very few people can resist the aww-factor of miniatures ;D Yeah, I even heard about one woman who went so far as hiring an attourney and starting a position to get rid of the mayor O_O' I don't inted to get that crazy, of course :p

Tony - Good idea =] I'll check that out before I send my letter to the director of zoning.

billiethekid40 - That should definately help, all of the neighbors I've spoken with either own pets or I have seen display a liking to animals, and at least one or two of them who would surely write a short statement. As to the fencing my dad and I still have to finalize this but thanks for reminding me to add it to my to-do list ^-^ The size of the paddock is including in the parcel number which I am including in the actual letter, though if my dad is willing/able to find the site where this is stated I'll be sure to include the actual measurements. Thanks! <3

MiniHoofBeats - Wow...this was some of the most helpful advice I've heard! First off, congrats on the new house and your minis ;) And now that you mention it, there is a school just a few blocks down from me that I went to as a kid, as well as a nursing home less than a mile away! Thank you so much for this suggestion, I'm sure that it will help a lot.

Thank you everybody! Please tell me if I might have accidentily skipped over something or forgotten to address something you've said, I went through my replies my faster this time than before and merely skimmed the posts. Thanks again to those who've helped so far
default_wub.png
:

DaMustangPhantom.

These people had the same problem, No horses period. But when they explained things to the town office zoning, They told them that the size miniatures they wanted to keep were no bigger then say a "great dane" dog. So they looked up exotic pets. there was nothing saying they could not have exotic pets. so the lady at the town office gave them a permit for them to keep their "exotic" pets at home.

Hope this is a better help. if not send me a pm and I can get you their email addy and you can ask what they had to do for some help!

Good luck!

Ooh, that just might work...perhaps I should try that before e-mailing about it. If you could give me their e-mail somehow I'd like to contact them and get more details :bgrin

For some time I have spoken through the internet with a friend who owns, shows, and trains 10 of her own miniature horses, and owns 3 horses as well. We have spoken various times about the care and maintenance that comes with owning a mini, who says the size of my yard is perfectly suited for the pasture of a single mini.

If I were sitting on the zoneing board this part would not hold water in my opinion.

A "cyber friend" although priceless to you and many of us here, would not make me change or vote for you.

That would just sound like someone that wants to sell me a horse, and not an authority on the matter.

They do not know your cyber friend, nor do they care or would consider what someone they do not know has to say. It's heresay, not factual. I would remove that part and replace it with more fact that they will look at.

I suggest that you get someone with some credentials that will make a formal guest appearence or at the very least, write a letter on your behalf. You need someone with some "clout" that has factual information that you can prove, such as a veternarian (s). Also, use some propaganda that AMHA/AMHR has to offer.

If you can bring in a miniature owner(s) with first hand experience, all the better.

Prepare a slide show, or movie.

Bring many pictures of your property and make a diagram of your shelter, fencline, and how you would dispose of your manure, but and parasite control, and how it would relate to your neighbors property. Cover all your basis.

Also, there is an unwritten rule in the horse world that suggests (1) acre of land per big horse. I don't know where they get off saying 3 acres per horse in the first place. So seeing as how a mini actually can be considered 1/3 of a big horse, that would leave only having to have 1/3 acre for 1 mini available.

Last but not least, consider that miniatures are in fact a herd animal and your miniature may be better off at a boarding stable with other horses, if all else fails.

Best wishes for success.

I changed the ordinance in my lil town to categorize as them as pets. We had almost 3 acres in town. Was the outskirts of town, but as the boundaries and town grew... (now moved with over 8 acres out of town) If you e-mail me [email protected] I can send you all the info. and articles that I took in with me to show the city council, also I got a petition and had the neighbors and everyone sign it. Turned out I had media coverage from the newspapers, and also had a gal I didn't even know show up at one of the meetings to say she would MUCH rather have mini horses for neighbors than barking dogs! My neighbors that abutted the pastures also came to the meetings in my favor. It was also a lil town, famous for the long time rodeo and being a horsie town and community. My county of Clackamas has more horses per mile than anywhere else in the country. This is horse country. Just get all your info. and sigs and people etc. all lined up when you take it to them to present your case.

Good luck

Sheri

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how mini horses aren't livestock... they aren't USED as livestock, but if horses are, why aren't minis?

I can understand the land requirement, but careful reclassifying minis as pets and not livestock. There are huge tax benifits for horse people, but if horses are reclassified as pets everyone looses out, except those who only have one or two on their 1 or 2 acres.

I was on the city council in my community for eight years. Ultimately, the members of your city council will decide your fate. The council can award you a conditional use permit that would waive the three-acre rule in your community.

I suggest contacting members of your city council -- or whatever it's called in your town -- and tell them what you'd like to do. While many council members will make time to meet with you in person, some will have time constraints and be unable to do that. So, have photos ready that can be e-mailed to them, showing the smallest mini you can find with a human.

If you have consensus on your city council, and they're willing to give you a CUP, it doesn't matter what you are told by anyone in the city offices. And you don't have to have the mini(s) reclassified as exotics or anything else. (As an aside, if one city or township classifies a mini as an exotic, it will have no impact on other cities and hurt horse people, as one poster suggested. A designation as an exotic may be a way for some city councils to circumvent their own livestock rules; if you can find other places where that has been done, it may help you make your case with council members. But I wouldn't push for the exotic designation until after trying for a CUP.)

In my city, where acreage also is an issue, three minis equate to one large horse. So, if you have three acres and are allowed to put just one large horse on the parcel, you can have three minis instead. That may be helpful to make your case.

Good luck.

I can understand the land requirement, but careful reclassifying minis as pets and not livestock. There are huge tax benifits for horse people, but if horses are reclassified as pets everyone looses out, except those who only have one or two on their 1 or 2 acres.

In many States horses are already considered "Pets"! In Wisconsin you can't claim any horse related expenses for farm taxes, Unless the income from horses is your "Main" source of income. Otherwise they are considered pets and any expenses are not deductable. It's really not fair that the State can say they are "Pets" and local ordinances can call them "Livestock". There was a lady near me who got to get a permit to keep her minis in town as exotic pets because of the way the State claims they are pets!

Latest posts

Back