Zelda updates!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amour Lie

Reaction score
Zelda is still holding that baby! Her udders are full and they're hard. She has been walking away halfway through her feed lately. I can lead her back to her stall and she will eat some more and then walk off. Thoughts?

That's normal before foaling, her appetite will return after foaling. Some do this and some don't, each mare is different.

Yes she will need to eat little and often now that baby is taking up so much room.

If her udder is still hard after her daytime outside exercise, then she is very close to foaling. What do her other signs look like - any changes in the colour inside her vulva.

Yes, mares simply cannot manage their normal amount of food this close to foaling (well some can!) so jst let her eat what she wants when she wants to, she will soon tuck in again once the foal is here.

Sounding like she's getting close. DITTO what Renee and Anna said about udders and eating! She's doing great!

Her udders are hard during the day! Her vulva hasn't changed colors, yet. She's been walking away from her feed for about a week, she needs to just pop already! :)

Can we have some new pics of her, in her stall will be fine if it is raining. When you update could you try and find your original thread and update that. We have so many girls due at the moment that sometimes we get confused and have to go back and read through from the beginning.

Thanks
default_smile.png

oh wow, she is looking great, do you have your foaling kit ready
default_thumbup.gif
When will she be up on MS ? I will help as much as possible during the night
default_yes.gif

From the pictures her udder does look pretty full - even her teats look filled!! If this is so then she could foal at any time, but it might just be the camera angle? Yet her tummy doesn't look quite forward enough for the foal to be in the delivery position. Does she roll much when she's out? I know we say to watch out for her vulva to change colour but some mares don't give you this sign! Is she a maiden mare, sorry cant remember? Great you are having marestare, but be warned, with an udder as full as that she might just foal sooner than you think!! Are you watching her overnight, if not then I think perhaps you should, just incase she foals without any of the last minute signs.
default_yes.gif

Good luck, keep the pictures coming and let us know as soon as you have marestare organised.

And PLEASE continue with 1 thread -- that way we can go back and see the changes without leaving the thread. With different threads all over the place, we can't easily see her progression to give you good advice! So, please just keep adding to this one from now on. It really helps us to see the changes, and we can't because old threads get too far back to find.

Glad she'll be on MS -- I'm in agreement with Anna -- the udder looks fabulous but baby doesn't seem to be in position!!

I agree with Diane. It is SOOOO much easier following one thread... AND, we can go back and compare if we want on that same thread. When it's more than one thread, it makes it harder to follow.

Haha, sorry about the multiple threads :p But I will probably watch her until we get the Marestare up. She hasn't been rolling, but she lays down every night! She laid down early tonight, like 9! Usually it is around 11 that she goes down. Her foal is moving around a lot. I can tell she's ready for that thing to pop out! Wish for a colt! Or actually, just a smooth labor!
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Oh, and yes she is maiden! I was looking at her yesterday and was looking at her teeth and noticed she just recently turned 5.... Young maiden. This will be interesting.

Oh geez. She may foal tonight. O.O She is breathing heavy, and the baby is moving a lot. Her sides are a lot more.... poking out? No milk or wax, but she is maiden, so who even knows. Vulva is a darker pink. I was hoping she'd wait till my birthday, in four days.

Oh geez. She may foal tonight. O.O She is breathing heavy, and the baby is moving a lot. Her sides are a lot more.... poking out? No milk or wax, but she is maiden, so who even knows. Vulva is a darker pink. I was hoping she'd wait till my birthday, in four days.

I think you have a little while to go from what I'm looking down at on the cam. She still has baby poking out sideways, so she'll be doing quite a bit of rolling to get baby in the go position.

If baby is moving a lot, her heavy breathing may indicate her being uncomfortable as baby turns and moves about. Even though SHE is not the one turning -- it is still strenuous for her -- and depending on how baby is pushing about, I'm sure quite uncomfortable.

So, I think you are safe for tonight -- but keep a good watch as maidens can be quite tricky, and foal without everything "being in place". But we'll just hope that she gets some good rolling done and baby lined up properly for the exit!

Back