Youth and Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt] I agree with each case is a seperate case to look at. We have a trainer here in the NW that wasn't watching her stallion and was almost bred in the ring. I would think she of all people would know what her stallion is capable of. But then I know my daughter would watch that stallion at all times. You never assume with a stallion![/SIZE]

The one thing I dont like is the fact that youth are allowed to show stallions in youth showmanship 13-17.....And I know its allowed in AMHA...and AMHR used to state it was clearly for only mares and geldings...but didnt they change it? I beleive I saw a stallion in the youth showmanship 13-17 class video I watched from nationals this year.

Bre

In AMHR, youth are not permitted to show stallions in showmaship. The rule has not changed. As I stated before, youth 13 and over may only show stallions in youth performance classes (jumping, driving, hunter, obstacles, etc.), youth halter junior stallion (offered at Nationals), and in ALL open classes (halter and performance). Not youth showmanship.

Like I said, I wasnt sure if AMHR dropped the rule or not. I talked it over with a friend who said that the rule specifically denied youth showing stallions in showmanship regardless of age isnt printed in the new rulebook. Of course it could be a misprint but...now I am just curious....I am going to look into it.

Bre

"I am only surprised that there are not more accidents- there is no way most 12yr olds are qualified to deal with a stallion in danger of getting loose, or even attempting to mount a mare."

I agree with rabbit 100%. IMO youth don't NEED to show stallions and many SHOULD NOT.

I agree with the fact that each case is different and should be looked at as such.

I myself took my gelding (then stallion) into the ring last year (at the NWMHC Schooling Show) for the first time. He was awful...rearing, biting, kicking, screaming. But it was experience for both of us. He has since been gelded and attended the Oregon State Fair that same year. He's heading for the Schooling Show again this year.

Along with him, I will be taking my other stallion into the ring for the first time. I have been and will be practicing with him hard beforehand. I am prepared for the worst and will handle it should it happen. He has been a very good boy here at home, but I also know how strong he is and keep a very good, close hold on him at all times. I will be using a stud chain in the ring.

I think it depends on the person and the horse. If they know the horse and are prepared, then great. I wouldn't sell a stallion to a newbie, no matter what age, and expect them to go into the ring the first year. I've had my stallion since he was a year and a half. I know his personality and his quirks. You don't learn those things overnight. They take months, sometimes years to learn and prepare for. Just my opinions...

Stallions aren't for everyone.

Erin

I do not have a reference to the 2006 Rule Book Supplement (there will not be a new book - only a supplement and copies are not yet available, but will be in the middle of March), but the 2005 Rule Book (available on the AMHR Website) references Youth being ineligible to show stallions in showmanship classes on page 116 (moderns), 174, 178 (classics), 234, 273, and 277 (minis). Page 234 states which classes youth may show stallions in (showmanship is not included), and page 273 and 277 gives the names of mini showmanship classes and the titles state mares and geldings only.

Back