Youth and Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about AMHA but in AMHR Youth ages 13 and over can show stallions in PERFORMANCE only, not halter... and can show them in Youth and Open classes. At Nationals they have a Jr. Stallions class for Youth...

Youth ages must be by December 1st of the prior year (Youth must be 13 as of December 1st, 2005 this year to show stallions in performance classes).

Andrea

You have to ask yourself why this rule was put in place.

The question should not really be may they, but should they.

Youth cannot show stallions in AMHA, not sure about AMHR.

To my mind the rules are far too lax on this , I think the age of Youth should be seventeen at least.

rabbitsfizz, I am SO glad you said what you did! I totally agree with you! I have always thought youth should NOT be allowed to show stallions!!! I know, folks say, but I trust MY stallion. He may be very trustworthy, but how about the kid next to yours?? I also wonder about 'amatuers' showing stallions. I'll get in trouble for this, but I have seen, over and over, folks, both biggins and youngins, standing around holding stallions, talking, not paying any attention, and someone else walks up or past with a mare in heat!! I am amazed that more folks or horses arent hurt! I think people think just because they are small, they won't act up. Now there are LOTS of folks in ammy classes that can handle this situation, but there are always newbies that scare the beemeamins out of me
default_rolleyes.gif
: I watch them like a hawk when I am near them
default_yes.gif
: And as for youth being able to show in performance classes with stallions....oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense :eek: Let's put 10 to 40 kids together in the same arena and let them stand around holding stallions, or doing obstacle or jumping. Just imagine what would happen if that stallion got loose
default_wacko.png
: Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. I won't even start on driving
default_wacko.png
:

Pam

As a youth, this is my take on the subject.

I have been working hard on my colt. He is a bit hot and studly but I am working on getting more respect from him and he has improved much! I can handle him better than my mom, he seems to listen to me. I am the one who wants to show him, and I plan to in AMHR. I think AMHR is just fine with the youth showing junior stallions as long as the youth can handle that stallion. I know stallions can be and are a handful, but this just shapes the future trainers even more.

Are youth allowed to show stallions in AMHA open classes or is it completely prohibited?

Thank you for the info. I'm still wondering about AMHA.

Another question is...would you sell a stallion to a family wanting a fourteen year old to show the stallion? In my situation, I talked the mother out of it, I think...but should this have been my decision. It sounded like the perfect home for him...except for their expectations of him being shown by two youth...ages 10 and 14.

Lois

Thank you for the info. I'm still wondering about AMHA.

Another question is...would you sell a stallion to a family wanting a fourteen year old to show the stallion? In my situation, I talked the mother out of it, I think...but should this have been my decision. It sounded like the perfect home for him...except for their expectations of him being shown by two youth...ages 10 and 14.

Lois

I would have, strictly because im 15 and i've been able to handle all of my stallions fine. i dont know about the ten year old because i was 13 when i got my first minis. But if it was an inexperience kid this age i wouldnt, grew up around horses and have always been able to handle them perfectly. except for a couple other stallions

Will

Maybe rules should be changed regarding mares in season??? Wouldnt that make things much easier?? Seems a shame when there are ones...young and older that would be fine if it wasnt for the temptation! ???

Here is the rule about youth showing stallions in AMHA.

G. No youth 12 years of age and under may show stallions with the exception of weanling and yearling colts. See YD-010-A.

This is my first year showing as an amateur so i have shown in youth for a very long time now. I have shown stallions from a year old to a senior stallion. I have shown stallions for people that have behaved better for me than for them. I have shown stallions that have acted better than mares i show. Well i consider my self as a very experienced person too when it comes to training and showing just because i have learned from the very best trainers. But obviously there is a reason that there isn't a class called YOUTH STALLIONS, because some people just don't know how to handle a stallion. I think that if a youth can handle a stallion and if they really want to show him then they should go right ahead and show him. I don't think it is the best choice to start showing for your very first time with a stallion because they are a challenge. Weanling and yealing stallions are usually very calm but you will ocassionly have a yearling think that thinks he is BIG. Although i will be an amateur in AMHA i will also still be a youth in AMHR just because my birthday happens to be on Jan. 1st. So i will still be showing stallions as a youth too. PLEASE if you don't agree with something i have said keep it to your self because this is just my opinion and i know that some people will disagree. Aubrey

Last edited by a moderator:
Now yes youth can't show stallions, HOWEVER, they can always show them in open.

I would ask greatly if they are experienced with showing, especially in halter, has she handled stallions before, give her an interview?

I know some youth that can handle stallions really well, but most of the majority can't. Its funny but also not so funny watching the youth show the jr. stallions, most can't handle them and those classes are HUGE! EEK!

Because of what I do for a living my kids have handled stallions [of ALL breeds I might add] and do a better job than most adults. I do decide if the horse and kid are compatible and safety is the biggest issue. I worry more about the idiots who KNOW everything and are getting their brains beat out by their ill-mannered brat that they made that way. Linda B

My daughter Kasey is able to handle My 2yr old Stallion Excalibur only because I have worked hard to teach him what "my space" is and he knows "NO , OUT , Over , Stand & Okay" I would not hesitate to let her show him as i know he knows what he is allowed to do while "working" with the lead on...SHe was able to handle him at shows around here with Mares and other stallions rearing and being very unruly by using the commands he knows and follows , My 7 yr old can handle him also but would fear My son's attention would be lacking as he always "looking elswhere" but still Ex knows the Lead line limit and I'm proud that my children can Handle My Stallion that yes at times can get unruly but holds it in til his lead is unsnaped and he is told "okay"..He'll stand in the pen and wait for his "okay" that gives the children time to exit safely. I am always right there should Ex forget his good manners and if he moves I say "Stand" and he'll wait...He is a great guy and hopefully will stay as sweet as he is now..

I don't know about AMHA but in AMHR Youth ages 13 and over can show stallions in PERFORMANCE only, not halter... and can show them in Youth and Open classes. At Nationals they have a Jr. Stallions class for Youth...Youth ages must be by December 1st of the prior year (Youth must be 13 as of December 1st, 2005 this year to show stallions in performance classes).

Andrea

Youth 13 and over CAN show stallions in open halter as well as youth and open performance classes.

I know for a fact they can show in halter as I did show a stallion in halter when I was a youth.

A youth over 13 can show open. I am 15 and have been showing for 10, almost 11 years. I believe I have the ability to handle my stallions just as well as many others..A lot of that has to do with the fact that I was properly taught and trained at a young age. JMHO!!

Clarification - In AMHR, youth 13 and older may show a stallion in youth performance classes (jumping, driving, hunter, obstacles, etc.), youth halter junior stallion (offered at Nationals), and in ALL open classes (halter and performance). As a former youth who has shown stallions, there are plenty of stallions behaved well enough for youth to show. This is an issue to consider when making the decision, but since the registry recognizes 13 as the appropriate age responsible enough to handle a stallion, most cases are not a problem.

My daughter showed stallions from the time she was 13 she's 28 this year in everything from showmanship jumping driving halter and obstacle at AMHA shows and never once lost control or caused injury to anyone near or around her. She also placed well in open stallion classes against adults who didn't think youth should be allowed in the class but tough luck for them to be beat by a youth. lf a stallion is trained properly there isn't a problem with who handles them as long as you know what your doing. l also have seen some adults that shouldn't be allowed to handle stallions in fact remembering last year some of them shouldn't even be allowed to handle mares they can't control in a public place without doing damage to others. JMFO

Both of my children handle our stallions at home, but I don't allow my daughter to handle some of our horses (both sexes) as they're just to much horse for her to handle.

My daughter is 10 and I do make a judgement call on which horses she can/can't handle. I wouldn't want her to show a stallion at her age - even our super gentle as a gelding ones. They do act different in public as it's a new environment.

My son, 17 does show our stallions, but he can handle them. If I felt he couldn't I most definitely wouldn't want to put him, the horse or any other person/horse in danger - period.

As for selling a stallion to a family that wants to show with their 15 yr old, it would depend on the family and the horse. I have mares that I won't sell to newbies - the mares are too hot and would abuse the situation with someone un-use to minis or horses.

We had a family purchase a colt last year that I wasn't sure if they could handle, the mother yes, son iffy - the mother considered buying others, but the son adhemently wanted this colt. Well they came here and worked with him for two weeks and we all felt better about the situation. He now fits their family like a T, and they're hoping to show him this year. Their son even had his senior photo taken with the horse.

Personally I take each sale, buyer and horse combo on an individual basis. It's more important to have a good match than just a sale here.

You have to ask yourself why this rule was put in place.

The question should not really be may they, but should they.

Youth cannot show stallions in AMHA, not sure about AMHR.

To my mind the rules are far too lax on this , I think the age of Youth should be seventeen at least.
May not make me popular but I agree with Jane. There are some capable youth out there but if one capable youth makes it look easy with a well-behaved boy, others think "Oh, I can do that" and their stallion might be totally different. The reason why is that I was helping an adult and her younger brother with their B stallion (he had not learned how to respect her and she could not get a show halter on him - we told her don't show him until he learns some respect) - that nasty boy mounted ME! Not fun! :no:

After everyone got a good laugh at my expense and this naughty boy got a lesson in "don't mess with the boss mare", he was well-behaved in his class with another experienced handler who also subscribed to the boss mare way of life but just goes to show that stallions can be unpredictable at times and while my 14 year old son has grown up around horses of all sizes and sexes, I am not sure I want him in the ring with a horse that might decide to be really naughty.

My first foray into the ring with my first stallion (a 2 year old) was embarrassing - he decided to rear and roar in his class that he had the biggest "equipment" and that he could take anyone on, totally ignoring me. There were a lot of young stallions (all well-behaved) in the class (19) and Mac and I had to have a talk about his behavior. We did work outside the ring with a nose chain and anytime Mac questioned my authority or saw a mare whose phone number he wanted, he got a quick snap with the chain. On day 2, he was a good boy and took a 2nd and a 3rd under the two judges in the same class. He was good at home with his own girls in the pen next door but when he found out at the show that mares come in all sizes, shapes and colors, he was overloaded!

My final thought is, with the show nerves that some some youth may get (when I was training kids for large horse hunters/equitation), some kids go into the "show zone" where they do not hear their trainers nor are they able to think about what is happening, I am not sure a stallion is what I want on the end of the lead as a horse for them. While some geldings and mares can be naughty - at least they are not "armed with a sword", looking for any opportunity if they just happen to get loose!

Just my two cents worth....

Denise

Silversong Farm

Suggesting we limit in season mares is not anywhere near reasonable- for a start most mare owners have NO idea when their mare is due in season and this is not like bitches, after all, once every six months, this is every three weeks!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Until the stallion appears, some mares do not show at all, so how would people know??

Anyway it is the responsibility of the stallion owner to have their horses under control.

The main difference between a bad mannered gelding and a bad mannered stallion is that, once loose a gelding hunts out the nearest food and a stallion hunts out the nearest mare/gelding/small child in a buggy etc and mounts it- stallions on the loose are NOT governed by common sense, believe me.

I witnessed a Mini Shetland stallion who got loose of his bridle at the Breed Show- he then proceeded to head towards the incoming Driving Marathon returning. Thwarted from that by a row of determined people he headed for the Lead Rein ring. We headed him off and he then attempted to mount my stallion- who stood looking at me and roaring at him alternately. Whilst thus distracted three strong men leaped upon him and wrestled him into submission- it took ALL three!!!

Can you IMAGINE what would have happened if he had got to a pony in harness???

Can you imagine what would have happened in the Lead Rein ring??

I am only surprised that there are not more accidents- there is no way most 12yr olds are qualified to deal with a stallion in danger of getting loose, or even attempting to mount a mare.

Of course it should not happen.......when it does I hope it is not near any of my horses, I really never want to go through all that again.

Latest posts

Back