Your Favorite Novel(s) / Your Favorite Authors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you brought this up just now; I saw a story on the news a couple of days ago, about a American honor medal of some sort being awarded to Harper Lee, now around 91 years old, author of "To Kill a Mockingbird"---now, THAT is a novel--and the movie of it is one of the best movies EVER made, IMO! If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, I URGE you to do so--American masterpieces, for sure!

Margo
Margo --

Yes! I saw the movie several times as a kid and read the book. It's one of my sister's favorites (teacher, master's in education). When we were teenagers, she named her cat Scout. My parents still have Scout
default_wub.png

Jill

I've always been a voracious reader...often 4 or 5 books at a time (it's a bit ridiculous, but sometimes I just can't wait to finish one before I start another)

I love them all...the profound and the profane...they do need to be well-written, though

Annie Dillard (The Living is one of my favorite books ever...about early settlers of the Bellingham, Washington, area and the hardships they endured. A very dense, difficult book with the best final paragraph EVER...worth the difficult read)

John Steinbeck (everything)

Gabriel García Márquez (Love In the Time of Cholera)

Anne Tyler (Accidental Tourist is just the beginning)

Larry McMurtry

Joyce Carol Oates (A Garden of Earthly Delights)

William Saroyan (his short story, The Summer of the Beautiful White Horse is a tiny morsel of perfection -- AND it's about a horse!)

Jetta Carleson (The Moonflower Vine --this one truly hits me where I live...and so beautifully written I've re-read it every summer for years, and I cry every time. It's out of print, but if you can find it PLEASE READ IT!!!!!)

Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird, of course, but also The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter)

Voctpr Jigp (Les Miserables -- I read this in junior high, before I could really appreciate it, but I was SOOOO in love with Marius...he set the bar for my ideal man...dark, bedroom eyes...long hair...hmm...sound familiar? hehe...)

Here's one for animal lovers, although it's not a novel:

Peter Gethers (The Cat Who Went to Paris and its sequels) I cry just thinking about his tribute to his cat. He is a major influence behind my Mingus stories. Seriously, this is one you HAVE to read! I want to re-read them, but I need to stock up on Kleenex!!)

So many books...so little room to write about them...

I also read a lot.

"all creatures great and small" Books

Ann McCaffery

Mercades Lackey (her nice books like Fairy godmother)

Timothy Zahn

Just to name a few.

Right now reading some of the Star Wars books.

Will have to check out the Authors everyone else likes, to try something new.

The Left Behind books are good. They are a little gory but they are really addictive. They usually leave you hanging and wanting to read the next one. And in the end the series they have a happy ending. Janette Oke has lots of great books. There is the Canadian West series which is about a school teacher in Canada in the early 1900s. And the Love Comes Softly series is good too. Hallmark made some movies about those.

Mine would probably be The Stand but Stephen King. I have read it several times and I just love that book. I'm a fan of SK, but especially love that (okay, and the Dark Tower ones as well).
I like The Stand as well plus Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged -- and another Daniel Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon".

I was in the emergency room's waiting area (My husband had shingles) and they had a tv on with The Stand as a mini-series or a syndicated show -- was strange seeing it on TV. Don't know what channel it was -- a cable or satellite channel for sure.

I love Science Fiction and Fantasy Fiction best -- also detective/murder mysteries of all kinds -- gourmet cooks, or cats, or dogs, or people as sleuths.

Many different authors make my favorite's list

Latest posts

Back