Your Favorite Novel(s) / Your Favorite Authors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
What is your favorite novel? How about your favorite authors?

Mine would probably be The Stand but Stephen King. I have read it several times and I just love that book. I'm a fan of SK, but especially love that (okay, and the Dark Tower ones as well).

I also like reading "Southern" type fiction -- Fannie Flagg, Ann B. Ross, Mark Childress, etc.

For awhile now and through next summer, I've been studying hard to finish my CFP (20 or so hours a week). Because of that, in my "free" time, rather than read, I'm glued to the tube. Looking forward to getting my designation next summer so I can curl up with some good books again. I'm way behind in my "for fun" reading (years behind!).

What about you folks?

Well I still love reading the Harry Potter books, and the Lord of the Rings. I've read the "Riding Lessons" book about a millon times. I like reading the Nora Robert books.

I like the myth type books or in other words Magic stuff. Then those books on the shelves at wal-mart. LOL

I am a big reader, will read anything as long as it isn't scary or gory.....

So no Steven King for me Jill.

My doctor calls it a quiet activity. So when my breathing is bad I

grab a book.....sometimes I finish one a day.....

For the past 20 years or so I've been an avid Dick Francis reader.....

Think I've just about got all his books licked by now....

We just went to a Library Book Sale last Friday and found some of his

really old ones from the early 70's.... I keep all his books, they never

go back to the 2nd hand book seller.

Last winter after the flood, when we were living in the bunkhouse

Michael and I got hooked on Michael Connelly books.....think there is only

one now we need to read.

It's fun that Michael and I read the same books as we can hash and rehash them.

I've several horse related novels I'd like to list on the LC Auction...I know I've

seen them in the unpacking but they are escaping detection, right now. They are

some of the ones that can be hard to find...... I know someone would enjoy them.

I have been on e mail topics where we send a book to the name at the top.....

Interesting to see what you get back when your name hits the top. Most of them

have worked well - a couple fizzled and I didn't receive a book back.

Good topic!!!

Im an Sk fan as well but also love Dean Koontz and John Saul, lately have been reading James Patterson for a change and read the Left Behind series by Lahaye and Jenkins probably too religious for most because they hooked me I dont know why. I also enjoy the Indian love story kind of thing by Cassie Edwards and the Flowers in the Attic kind of thing by V C Andrews. And medical thrillers by Robin Cook. Oh heck I read everything really particularly during the winter. I am not a TV person at all so its either the computer or a book. Oh I forgot about the historical Indian novels by Kathleen ONeal and Michael Gear.

Here there are big bookcases in every room and hundreds of books written by every author under the sun..my faves though are Barbara Taylor Bradford Mary Stewart Mary Higgins Clark and for non slutty reading l love Dick Francis wish he was still around to write. For trash and if l can't sleep it's Danial Steel works fast and never remember a thing l read the next day...
default_biggrin.png

Funny you should post this thread Jill...I was just thinking about posting one similar to it last Sunday. I absolutely LOVE Iris Johansen!!! The first book I bought of her's was a book called "Long After Midnight", and I read the first 3 pages and tossed it to the side. It was absolutely boring me to tears. Months go by and I took up exercising on my treadmill, and I wanted something to read to help the time fly by. The only book in my reach was the one I tossed aside. I picked it back up and let me tell you...I was absolutely mesmorized by it this time. I read the whole thing within 2 days, and decided that I had to get another book of her's. I became addicted, and now I have all of her books...including her romance novels from her LoveSwept days.

I knew I was a faithful reader of her's, when a friend asked me if I wanted to switch books with her (it was a Nora Roberts book) and I just couldn't do it. It felt as if I was being unfaithful to Iris.
default_rolleyes.gif

reading is and always has been my number one "hobby". in fact as a kid i didn't mind getting grounded and sent to my room at all, it was just another chance to read LOL. from way back i love Little House on the Prairie, i got the whole set as a teen and still have it... and the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, although i never got hooked on his Tarzan books. when my daughter was born 25 years ago i found at the library the Ann McCaffrey dragon books (the Pern series) and devoured them, and i recently got some of her new ones, i still love them! and oh yes to Dick Francis! also the Travis McGee books, can't recall the author off the top of my head right now but i have all of them i could get my hands on. and Nora Roberts is absolutely my all time favorite EVER. nothing in any of these series leaves my hands once i get it. i also really enjoy Lavyrle Spencer's books... and oh there are so many others. i trade books with several friends and there is a second-hand book store near work and any time i get lucky to have time to go to a yard sale with books... i read voraciously and will start anything anyone gives me, and usually finish it even if i don't like i much, because i always need something to read...
default_laugh.png
although i have been known to put down a few books, and i stopped with the horror stories after Pet Cemetery, that was the first scary book to give me nightmares and i haven't read another... another quirk of mine is i do NOT like first person... so no "I" books.

great thread!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

This is fun
default_smile.png
Some of you have reminded me of other authors I love to read! Oh, man... I will be so happy when I'm done studying !!!

I don't think I really have one author which is my favorite per say. But I truly enjoy historical novels. Anything to do with pioneering, settlers, late 1700's to late 1800's are my forte. I love to read about life on the prairie and how the women of the wild frontier fared. And love to read about how Native Americans lived before the settlers came with the big white train and set roots down. I also love rag mags...you know them tabloid magazines! :DOH!
default_laugh.png

Janet Evanovich is great, she makes me laugh out loud when I read her books.
default_new_rofl.gif

I also like Kathy Reichs books, I am reading her most recent one right now.

I really like Jodi Picoult and David Baldacci, but I'll read just about anyone...I just don't care for the harlequin romance type of books.

Avid reader here.

Stuart Woods, have read them all.

James Rollins, have read them all, but I liked his earlier ones a lot better than the most recent ones.

Like Sfmini, I love Janet Evanovich. Good reads.

Peri O'Shagnassey for legal thrillers. Oh and David Balducci (sp).

I just finished 'The Eight' by Katherine Neville.

Douglas Preston is a good Thriller/disaster writer.

Nevada Barr's books a good for a fast read. I really enjoy the story line.

That's all I can think of now.

Ever since we got the Satelite internet, I find I don't read as many books as I did.
default_rolleyes.gif

I know a lot of people like SK...but I just can't get into them, don't know why....I have tried....

Sue

Diana Gabaldon, her Outlander and Lord John Grey series.

Lani Diane Rich, who is a friend of a friend and fabulous.

Jennifer Cruisie

Jennifer Weiner

Well, Jill, you KNOW that you and I share a love of Stephen King--and I do believe "The Stand" is my favorite of his...

I love to read, mostly 'light mytery' type stuff nowadays...am currently reading 'The Evening Star", by Larry McMurtry--sequel to "Terms of Endearment"...and it is excellent-quite funny, actually! He also wrote "Lonesome Dove", another favorite.

Funny you brought this up just now; I saw a story on the news a couple of days ago, about a American honor medal of some sort being awarded to Harper Lee, now around 91 years old, author of "To Kill a Mockingbird"---now, THAT is a novel--and the movie of it is one of the best movies EVER made, IMO! If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, I URGE you to do so--American masterpieces, for sure!

Margo

I love Maeve Binchy. I've read all of her books, starting with Circle of Friends.

Her stories are so easy to read and very hard to put down.

Robert Ludlum for when I want some excitement and intrigue.

I am copying these posts! I read at least a book a week, so I'm always looking for new stuff, and thanks to a fellow forum member, I get my reading material FREE at www.paperbackswap.com.

I am a big David Sedaris fan, but on the other end of the spectrum I've also read everything I could get my hands on by Jon Hassler. In the way of horse-related books, I just finished "Barn Blind" by Jane Smiley, and also read her novels "Moo" and "Horse Sense." Besides that, I've been in a classic mood lately, and finished "Anna Karenina" last week and a run of Jane Austen novels the month before. And OF COURSE I bought and read the last Harry Potter novel the first week it was out. I can't believe the series is done.
default_sad.png

I dont read much any more, I prefer writing my own and will be sharing my latest with you guys soon
default_biggrin.png
but when I DO read, I like Obert Skye, and pretty much any other fantasy

I am copying these posts! I read at least a book a week, so I'm always looking for new stuff, and thanks to a fellow forum member, I get my reading material FREE at www.paperbackswap.com.

I am a big David Sedaris fan, but on the other end of the spectrum I've also read everything I could get my hands on by Jon Hassler. In the way of horse-related books, I just finished "Barn Blind" by Jane Smiley, and also read her novels "Moo" and "Horse Sense." Besides that, I've been in a classic mood lately, and finished "Anna Karenina" last week and a run of Jane Austen novels the month before. And OF COURSE I bought and read the last Harry Potter novel the first week it was out. I can't believe the series is done.
default_sad.png

Thanks for the info about the paperback swap site!

I'm a Harry Potter fan too........and I suspect we'll be seeing a spin-off of that series with the KIDS of Harry, Ron, and Hermoine.

I also love Mary Stewart, Judith Michael, and Luanne Rice.

MA

I will read just about anything. I'll go to the library, pick an author & work my way through his/her books. I especially enjoy Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich & Iris Johansen. I just started reading Kristen Hannah--her books seem to all be set in the Pacific NW.

The books that had the greatest impact on me recently and that I truly enjoyed would have to be My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson and P.S. I love You by Cecelia Ahern (made into a movie to be realeased in Dec.). All of these were wonderful novels that also drove home some powerful life lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite novelists are Lori Wicks and Dee Henderson. My favorite book by Lori Wicks would probably have to be The Princess with Pretense coming in a close second. I really like Dee Henderson's series The O'Malley Family and its prequel Danger in the Shadows. I like most other Christian romance too and will also read other stuff on occasion. I love to read to my students (I teach 2nd and 3rd grade). This year I am reading through the Chronicles of Narnia. We just began Prince Caspian.

Latest posts

Back