Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On saturday, we visited a woman in Germany who's driving long distance races with her shetland (35" tall draft type). Their longest distance on one day was 55 miles. The average pace is about 6,2 mph. The summary of the miles the pony made on competitions will reach 620 miles (1000 km) on their next race who will be in a few weeks. He was even winning against arabian horses on races.
She allowed us to drive the little boy for a while and IT WAS JUST AMAZING! ? He has a very, very frequent trot and he's quite fast when he's trotting. The walk was not as fast as I expected; it was comparable with the pace of my own horses. Very valuable experience to drive with this little shetland and meet his owner. Great to know about what's possible with a shetland or a miniature horse!!!

We're now thinking about train for long distances too... I think, 16 miles would be possible with one of my minis. I installed a speed indicator on my marathon carriage and will install one on the sulky too to get an idea how fast and how far we are driving. On saturday morning, I drove the minis in a 3-in-hand-team again and had an eye on the speedometer. Since we have hills and lot of roads to cross, we're not as fast as the race-shetland is (the terrain was almost flat with slight hills). We had an average of 4,6 mph on 6,2 miles. There was a short gallop route (a half a mile I think) and I allowed the boys to go as fast as they would. We reached 18,5 mph! This was fun ? But I'll now concentrate on endurance and try to focus trotting more regularly.

My sister brought her little horse, Jackie O, out this morning.  She doesn't get out often so isn't in great driving shape.  We went about 5 miles, almost all walking.  I like a good trotting outing myself, but this was good for Jackie.  She was sweaty under the harness, but otherwise doing great when we got home.  Dapper Dan didn't even sweat.  We started about 7:30, so we could get the drive in before the heat got too bad.  The road I chose has a nice stretch of dirt, which I thought would be good.  NOT.  A bunch of cattle went down it while it was wet and made it almost impossible to drive on with our carts.  Next time, we will both trailer to an area where we can have all dirt roads, a bridge, and some shady trees.  And hopefully no cattle trails.

My last couple of drives were early in the morning, too.  It has been so humid. but it finally broke yesterday and was 70 and dry today.   Peanut had a lesson today.  The instructor ground drove him and then I did.  We worked on his flexibility and getting a nice marching walk.  She can get him to do things so much quicker than I can.  I can "see" what she is asking for and the response he gives but I am so clumsy with my hands. I have quiet hands, but they seem to have a delay on them when it comes to asking for something with finesse, lol.  It takes awhile for the "intent" to do something to leave the brain and find its way to the reins.  I did get him to step under and round his back and reach for the bit a few steps.  He looks so pretty when he carries himself that way.    I was happy that I was able to ask him to do something new to both of us and have him respond.   

Northwolf 18 mph sounds speedy!  

Marsha, have any minis caught your eye?

You are doing amazingly well with your training, Cayuse. I no longer work with Dapper Dan on finesse when we are driving.  He is older, and I am rather discouraged, so we just go out for pleasure and exercise.  BUT when I was out with my sister and we were driving abreast on the road, a truck came up behind us.  When I asked Dapper Dan to move over, he didn't want to bother to respond in a timely way.    It all turned out fine, as the truck driver saw us and there was no danger, but it makes me realize that I need to keep Dapper Dan more responsive.  Also, my response when I perceived the truck behind us was not correct:  I responded more in a panic reaction that what was required.  If I had asked Dapper Dan to move in a calm, controlled way, I'm sure he would have done fine.  We never stop learning.

18 mph is amazing!  What good boys, and the new vehicle must be working perfectly for you all.

Marsha, sometimes I wish I could just go for a long leisurely drive like you do and see the sights (no cows though!)  I envy where you live for the ruralness.  I have to drive in my pasture :-( as there is no other place.  All the open land is gone and it makes me so sad.   Sometimes I just hitch him up and drive around cones and stuff and goof off with my husband, but right now I am trying to take advantage of having someone who can teach me.  I am trying to learn as much as I can, while I still can.  We are taking him to the instructors house this weekend for a lesson to see how he reacts.   He should be fine.  I probably will be nervous though.

About Dapper Dan, it it easy to let them get less responsive.  At least for me it is. Mine have a way of figuring out exactly what the smallest amount of effort is that is needed to get the job done, and that is that!  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so excited to tell you that i have met some ladies who drive and belong to the club i tolld you about.  the club had a drive and so the new girl that moved in with Matt.  (no funny stuff, its her and her spouse and they have a room accross the hall frm us. (me and mike).  anyhow she went with me on the new bigger cart and charlie.  when we got there, we were the only ones to show up  hehe, that's my luck.  anyhow the owner of the property harnessed up a welsh pony and took us on a tour of th polo property near her.  we had a great time.  it was so much fun.)

when we got back yo her place, the vet was waiting for her.   i was lucky enough to get the ponies their shots and coggins.  Jennel the property owner, invited us back so we went back monday and she had another friend there to go with us also.   we took a really long drive 2 1 /2 hours.  charlie was still lookinf tired tonight so that was too long for him yet.

the girl that lives here , her name  is Pinken,  she is a rider but has certainly taken an interest in Daisy, so i am teaching her how to drive daisy.  so nice to have some fun news.

Sounds like you are making lots of new friends. It is nice to have a group of people to do horse stuff with.  Did you get to see any polo ponies in action? One summer I had a job exercising polo ponies.  It was a fun :).

It also sounds like you got your new cart?  What is it like?  I never did get mine, so!ething else always seems to take the money.  If you did get a new cart I would love to hear about it and see pictures.

When I had Dapper Dan out today, we stopped to watch Tereon (aka Buckly) at work.  They are hitching him to a wheel barrow, using a surcingle and both leading him from either side.  He is doing pretty well!  He did have one little tantrum while I was watching, but calmed down and finished fine.  She said it's about the 10th time they've had him on the wheel barrow.  It's actually a great training vehicle; it's a good weight and very noisy. Working together, they are really making progress with him.  I asked how he is doing with their five big horses, and they said "he is the boss".  No doubt about it. 

They have ordered a harness and are looking into carts.  They love him and are excited to work with him.  All good!

Nice update about Buckly.  I didn't realize he remained so close to you.  Did DD seem to want to reestablish their acquaintance?  

We took Peanut to a lesson last weekend.  It was a  big adventure for him,  LOTS of new things to see.  He was really pretty good. And very happy.

Nice update about Buckly.  I didn't realize he remained so close to you.  Did DD seem to want to reestablish their acquaintance?  

We took Peanut to a lesson last weekend.  It was a  big adventure for him,  LOTS of new things to see.  He was really pretty good. And very happy.
Yes, my neighbors wanted him.  He and dd touched noses  they recognized each other but did not seem too interested.  Tereon has a new herd and dd is pretty self sufficient.  I am going to look at a horse on tuesday .

Sounds like peanuts lesson went well. Yay!

Peanut was pretty good.  He did a lot of gawking at a herd of goats that got running in the pen across from the ring.  I don't blame him, they made a huge commotion.  We worked through it OK, distracting him by driving through sets of cones.  

Hope things go well for you on Tuesday :)!

WELL, YES ,                    CAYUSE, I  GOT A CART.  NOT WHAT I WANTED, BUT IT WILL DO NICELY.   I BOUGHT A REGULAR EZ ENTRY CART THAT SEATS 2 BECAUSE JERSEY (MY GRANDDAUGHTER) WAS COMING AND I WANTED TO TAKE HER CAMPING.   WORKED WELL.  IT HAS A DIFFERENT KIND OF SPRINGS ON IT AND IS VERY COMFY.  I THINK THEY ARE CALLED C-SPRINGS.

SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS TRAINING.  IM GLAD TO HEAR ALL IS GOING WELL.  HAVE A NICE LABOR DAY WEEKEND EVERYONE.   ANYONE COMING THIS WAY.

1@jeanniecogan[/USER] I was so hoping we'd be able to come out your way this summer but my year has not gone at all as planned. I'm about to give up and get out of the horse business all together. It seems every time I think I'm going to get out to drive or ride my horses something comes up. I even paid to have shoes put on my gelding (I usually trim him myself and ride him in boots) to make it easier for me to go riding spur of the moment. Have I gone? Nope. Have I planned to? Only 100 times. Same with driving. I'm getting really frustrated with myself....

1@Marsha Cassada[/USER] I just got caught up on Buckley's status. I'm sorry that he won't work out as a "Marsha horse". There is one out there it's just turning out to be a journey to find one. I was so lucky to get such a great horse with Candace when I had a third party shopping for me. Buckley is such a handsome boy and you are always great to do right by your horses and find them just the right situation. If only all horses were so lucky to have someone like you.

Happy driving everyone!!!

MC, Jeannie is right, don't surrender yet.  With one thing and another, I went almost a whole year without being able to do much with the horses.   Life just gets in the way some days, but things have a way of changing, so hopefully you'll get back in the saddle or cart soon.

Marsha, did you check out that mini yesterday?

MC, Jeannie is right, don't surrender yet.  With one thing and another, I went almost a whole year without being able to do much with the horses.   Life just gets in the way some days, but things have a way of changing, so hopefully you'll get back in the saddle or cart soon.

Marsha, did you check out that mini yesterday?
Supposed to go monday.  I called today to get directions and she had sold him.

Well that is a bummer. Too bad that she didn't let you know someone else was interested, or at least let you know he was sold :-(.  Why is it that finding the right horse is like looking for a needle in a haystack?  Years ago when I was looking for a pleasure riding horse, there were none in my area.  Absolutely nothing.  The year before and the following years, there were plenty available.  I ended up buying a  13.3  hand green broke  MARE (!) when I wanted the exact opposite.  I partly bought her because no one else wanted her, she was a misfit. Too much pony for kids, too small for most adults.   I guess that was why she was the only horse left available, lol.  Poor little mare, I did come to love her though!  

SOMEWHERE out there, there awaits a horse for you!

1@MajorClementine[/USER] and 1@Marsha Cassada[/USER] don't give up! your time will come and sometimes, things that takes longer are the better ones. I keep my fingers crossed for you both!

I was on my very first driving competition yesterday. I drove my stallion Massai in a team with a pony owned by a good friend who was my groom at this competition. It was kind of a CDE, but without dressage. In the morning, we had to drive on a trail through the city and solve several quests on the route. It was about 6 or 7 miles and we had a lot of fun together. Afternoon, there was a cone driving competition. Funny too, but we practiced only once before and so I had a few (3 out of 16 obstacles) mistakes. The boys were just amazing!!! The people didn't notice Massai is a stallion, his behaviour was just awesome! I didn't expect that, he normally has not the best behaviour if other horses are around. My friends horse was also doing very well, he's a little bit jumpy and scares about traffic. But not this time! He was very cool and both were working as a great team - although they have a height difference of 10 inches :)  (yes, it was looking a bit curious, but it doesn't matter). Unexpected, we had the 3rt place (2nd place had equal scores, but the younger horse team). 

Next year, we will hopefully drive with two teams or one big (4-in-hand) team. I'm very looking forward! 

Northwolf,  glad to hear that you had a good time at the CDE!  I went to my first ADT yesterday with Peanut. It consisted of dressage, cones, and obstacles. I did not drive him in the event, but I drove him after he completed the obstacles to cool him out.  I was able to go in to the arena a practice the cones for a few minutes.  He behaved great, once he settled down.  It took a long time to get him quiet enough to hitch, but once we did, it went smoothly :) He is still fairly intimidated by the big horses, but I think that will change with time.  

Now I have to gain the courage to drive him in one.  I will say the obstacle part completely baffles me.  I need to see more of it to understand it. It is like barrel racing, but not, lol.

Back