Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the Santa pics of Rowdy and DD! Your beasties aren't nearly as wooly as mine. They look like tiny Yaks! Clementine has a full beard. DD Has the most attractive nose. Maybe it's the way his nostrils are outlined but, oh my, is it cute.

Big news around here. My father has been looking for horse property up here by me in Northern Utah. He lives in Southern Utah. It's a long story but he's found a piece in southern Utah only 20 min from his home. So here's the best part. All of the horses (big and small) can live up here with me on pasture in the mild climate all summer then winter down in the desert. I can ride/drive year round. My horses may get to be "snow birds"!

Thanks for the pic of DD. He's cute as a button. I don't see alot of gray hairs in the picture, but I know how you feel when you see them. !9 does not seem old to me either. Are his stifles feeling better with the rest?

So Rowdy is going to the parade! I bet he'll be fine with your sister along as a second set of hands/eyes.

Even if you go and don't go in the parade, it will be a learning experience for him.

MajorClem, that would be so nice for you both if your dad moved. Is he looking for a bigger place or just a different location? Moving is alot of work! We have been thinking about selling our place and buying something more rural with more land but the idea of the physical move itself is daunting!

Here is a short video from a couple of years ago. Gives an idea of the sleigh bells, how they are worn and how they sound. They are pretty loud and actually will be annoying if worn while out on a long drive.

He's so cute. What a good boy. Those bells ARE loud and bring back a happy memory! One of my first horse memories is of my uncle coming to get me with his Morgan and sleigh to give me a ride. It was a spur of the moment thing, we did not know he was coming but we sure did hear him before he got there. He took me on a two mile jaunt and I got to hold the lines. I was 5 and scared but also exhilirated. I remember every minute of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the jingle bells! They are great for a parade so everyone can hear them. We have rump bells for our fox trotter and I've just got a strand of 5 (#2-#6 in size) for Clementine. Dad has been driving a draft pair with full straps of girth bells (27 bells each!) and that would drive me batty day after day after day.

Hubby, DS, and I made a mad dash this weekend to go check out the possible new horse property. It was a total last minute decision but since the weekend wasn't booked with stuff and there were no storms on the way we decided it was a perfect time. The property was great. It's 1 acre but it's zoned for Agriculture so you can do anything with it as far as livestock goes. It has 10 covered stalls, a lighted arena, a hot walker, shop with a roll up door and two tack rooms, storage room, and bathroom. We are thinking BUGGY STORAGE!!! It's also got a shed row to park trailers in. The covered stalls are 5 on each side of a 16' wide concrete aisle so we can stack hay out of the weather. 8 of the stalls are 16'x32' and the other two stalls are 24' x 32'.

If dad buys it he won't be moving there as you can't build a home on the property. However it's only 18 minutes from his house so it's not a big deal to head over any time. Being in Southern Utah it's very mild in the winter so the horses would be there from mid November until April. Then they would move back up here with me to pasture for April-November. This way we can use the horses (both riding and driving) year round without the scorching heat of the south in the summer or the freezing cold of the north in the winter. I think the horses are more excited about it than I even am.

I hope it works out for you and your dad. How far is it from where you live? I am trying to envision my map of the US and I'm seeing Utah as the state above Arizona??? I'm probably way off, lol! My mom lived in AZ during the winters and told me that the weather was much nicer at the top of the state. Less hot. She lived in Mesa. There was a restaurant/bar a few towns over where everyone rode there horse to and tied them up to the hitching post while they went in foe a meal (or whatever!) She got a kick out of that.

If you move there are there trails and places to drive?

DSCN0533 (2).JPGDSCN0523 (2).JPGIt snowed today and Cappy had fun. The picture of Peanut was taken this weekend. The snow is supposed to melt so maybe I'll get one or two more drives before I have to put the cart away.

That's a fantastic view of Peanut. I never thought to have a driving pic taken from the front like that. I really like it. It shows tons of personality.

Cayuse... Yes, Utah is the one above Arizona. So the property we are looking at is 4 hours from my house and only 20 minutes from my parents house. So it's not a bad weekend trip if I want to go down in the winter and ride/drive. The same for my parents if they want to come up my way in the summer for a weekend to ride/drive.

I think our snow is here to stay so the sulky is put away and the cart I kept to the front of the barn just in case I decide to put the sleigh runners on it. Sometimes, if it snows several days, the side streets get snow packed and it makes for a really great sleigh ride.

I got the santa hat attached to Rowdy's bridle. He didn't like it, so I took him for a long walk wearing it and by the time we got home he was fine with it.

DD is doing better. He isn't favoring the leg any more. I've put him on a picket line for a couple of hours a day to graze so he won't get too bored.

Is anyone going to be taking this winter time break to shop, build, or refurbish any horse drawn vehicles? I am looking for another project cart for this winter. Last year I did the sulky. Maybe I can find an old mini meadowbrook that needs redone....

Is anyone going to be taking this winter time break to shop, build, or refurbish any horse drawn vehicles? I am looking for another project cart for this winter. Last year I did the sulky. Maybe I can find an old mini meadowbrook that needs redone....
That would be a very nice vehicle to work on! Hope you find one.

MajorClem, My hubby took the picture. I was not expecting it, he just said "bring him right up to me for a minute" I thought he was going to adjust the bridle or something. And Peanut looks like he though he might get a treat, lol.

I was thinking about looking for another cart for my husband, or one for me as my legs are so long and get a little cramped in my cart. I had thought about starting a thread on forecarts to see if anyone has experience with those. They look substantial enough to take my bumpy pasture.

Marsha, how is DD? A picket line is a great idea. I bet mine would make a mess of it though! Have you been able to work with Rowdy this week?

DD is getting feisty again so I know he's feeling better. But I am not fooled. He will stay on stall rest for at least another week. The picket works great for him as he is very careful. I only put him out when I can keep an eye on him. It turned off cold here and it's rather a nuisance having to keep his water bucket, though. We have a heated tank, but he can't access it from where he is stalled.

Have not had Rowdy in the cart, but we do a few ground things every day. Got the garland and lights on the cart. I will put lights on Rowdy also.

I used to love to do parades, but I'm getting where it isn't so much fun any more. I hate to feel that way.

Parades are fun but a whole lot of work. Not to mention you have to worry about getting sued for all you are worth if anything at all goes wrong. The only parade I do is our Swiss Days parade. I can drive Clem from the house to the lineup (4 blocks) then drive her right home at the end of it. No trailering or traffic to deal with.

Cayuse, I've been thinking about a forecart too. Hubby thinks he can build me one. I've only driven one a couple of times with a heavy team. Once just the forecart and once with a drag behind it. I think the mini forecarts are so stinkin cute. It would be fun to find one that needed some TLC and repaint/refurbish it custom colors and whatnot.

Marsha, glad to hear DD is feeling better. Smart to keep him down a little longer. Horses are their own worst enemies when it comes to re-injuring themselves. I have to agree with Cayuse that my minis would have themselves tangled up in that picket line in no time flat. Your DD is some kinda horse for sure :}

I have never had a miniature that couldn't be on a picket line. Sometimes it takes them a while to figure it out. If they get the rope around a leg, they just stand still and figure out to lift their foot out. It's kind of weird to watch them, as they are so smart. DD doesn't get it around his legs any more; he has figured out where the rope is all the time. Rowdy has been on it, but I would watch him pretty carefully as he isn't a "pro" yet. People who have only had big horses are amazed at mine grazing calmly on a picket.

Of course, because of Murphy's Law--today I'll probably have trouble...

Well, we did the parade this evening and it was not a success. Rowdy was impossible in the cart. It was dangerous, so I unhooked and took him on the lead rope. Didn't have his nice halter as I wasnt' expecting to lead him. We did get the lights attached and tucked the santa hat in the halter. We were asked to be the grand marshall! So we walked in the front of the parade. He was like having a trout on a line the whole time. I was definitely keeping warm on a chilly evening working with him! We did stop to chat with some children on the way and he did all right. He did not mind the sleigh bells at all, but he really wanted to get rid of the hat.

Someone asked us as we were heading back to the trailer "how did he do?" I replied, not very well. She said, well he looked good!

I really think I will be passing him along; we are not right for each other. I evidently do not know how to get him out of that spoiled brat behavior. I do not see that we are progressing.

lonewolfrowdy.jpg

I'm sorry the parade didn't go well for you. Such a bummer for sure. I know what you mean about just not being right for each other. I had a riding horse that was the same way. She and I just did not get along. She and my mom, however, have been together for 15 years happy as can be. Your picture is really cute though
default_smile.png
Thank you for sharing it.

Well that's too bad about the driving part of the parade but the three of you look nice in the picture. He is a handsome guy.

I know how hard it can be with a horse that you can't seem to click with too. It's frustrating. I had a QH that was a complete pill for me but wonderful for my friends who happened to be men. I rehomed him (to a man) and he went on to have a wonderful life without me.

Have you considered sending him to a trainer for a couple of months to see what happens? I would be sad to see you sell him, you have put in so much time with him. But I do understand how sometimes the relationship can be just not right for both horse and handler.

Well that's too bad about the driving part of the parade but the three of you look nice in the picture. He is a handsome guy.

I know how hard it can be with a horse that you can't seem to click with too. It's frustrating. I had a QH that was a complete pill for me but wonderful for my friends who happened to be men. I rehomed him (to a man) and he went on to have a wonderful life without me.

Have you considered sending him to a trainer for a couple of months to see what happens? I would be sad to see you sell him, you have put in so much time with him. But I do understand how sometimes the relationship can be just not right for both horse and handler.
In my, admittedly limited, experience I don't think that is the answer. I think he needs someone younger than me who is ready to do some risking. And though I try not to spoil, I probably don't succeed completely and this makes him revert to his brat self. I was thinking the parade atmosphere would be a good learning experience for him, but it turns out to be a learning experience for ME. I've learned that he isn't going to work for me. I will get my husband to help me measure him. He is a good size for my A cart, but probably closer to 36". My husband says we should just keep him for a companion for DD, but I am not interested in a pasture pet that hasn't earned his keep. And when DD is out of action due to his stifle, or some other issue since he is nearly 20, I'd like to have another horse to drive. The other horses that didn't work for me went on to homes better than mine, so I just need to keep trying to match a horse to my temperament and skill level. I'm in no hurry to do anything, however. Things usually work out for the best.

Latest posts

Back