Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Coal did fantastic. Rowdy would have been fine going over the tree branch across the trail, but all those scary stumps and crackling leaves! Not to mention those hideous snaky shadows on the trail!

I think you acted just fine. You didn't have a crystal ball to know that pinto would turn into an idiot.

Gorgeous place to drive!

Chick's Saddlery has jingle bells on sale. 60 inch strap with lotsa bells for $29 and little short 3 bell straps for a couple of dollars if anyone is interested.

I drove Peanut Thursday. We just went for another walk but it was nice. We drove until sundown. It has rained since then so that might be it for the year, weather depending.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

Cleaned harness and put in my new harness bag. If anyone else uses harness bags could you post a pic of it opened up with your harness hanging in it? I have never used one before and I got all the pieces in a buckled up but was wondering what order it's typically in.

Dad got a bag for his harness as well. He's got the euro collar and I'm guessing it doesn't go in the bag? Is that correct. Collars don't go in with the harness...?

Supposed to snow for the next 3 days so maybe some sledding next week ;)

MajorClem, your snow is going to be our rain midweek. Three days forcasted. It finally stopped drizzling last night so I did get another drive in. Not long but we ventured into a trot and that went well. I can't get over how happy he is when he has something to do. He enjoys working and his entire demeanor is 100% (well, maybe 85% lol) better for days after. You can see him take a deep breath and let it out in a relaxed sigh once he figures out he is getting hitched.

He likes the vacuum ALOT now, I found a brush attachment and he seems to thinks that is very acceptable.

Cappy is getting feisty since it has turned cold. I hope someday I can get him back to work.

I brought home "the harness" from being on consignement as the dealer finally contacted me and said they would fit it or swap the bridle for one that fit. When I returned her email twice to confirm the time she picked, I never heard back. So the harness is back residing in my living room! Good thing it's pretty to look at.

Sledding?? I can't wait :D Well, I can, but can't at the same time...

That really sucks about the harness, never fun to get the run around :/ I can totally relate on a horse with such work ethic. Sierra is the same way. Work her several days in a row and she is h-a-p-p-y. She'll come running to you... Give her a couple days off and you can barely catch her.

Took our guys to the same place I had the incident earlier this week. A trailer was there and the lady was pretty friendly. Before we unloaded I warned her we had Mini's and that earlier this week a horse didn't respond well to them. I asked what she'd like us to do and she was very warm about "Oh, just unload them! I'm waiting for someone so that way you guys can get out there before us" I offered to let her mare check them out once we got out of the trailer (Her mare a bit unsure of the little furballs) so we started gearing up when her friend rolled in. By the time we were in the carts she was free lunging her horse in the arena there, which let the mare observe us at her own discretion. I offered to let her drive the mini's when we got back if she wanted to (she was quite knowledgeable, but fascinated with the minis) Told us she'd "Be awhile" before they got out on the trail. I let her know which direction we were headed in the trail and coordinated that so we wouldn't run into each other.

Coal and Sierra were amazing on the trail. Lots of trotting and a small bit of cantering. Coal is like a 'driver' with road rage when he gets behind Sierra. He keeps trying to find ways to squeeze around her and get back out in front. So he got a lesson in "patience" today
default_smile.png

The drive itself was about 27 minutes and we DID run into them coming back. We came around the corner to where the arena was and they were just heading out. I got my hubby to stop and they both dismounted and waited patiently to let us by. The horses watched carefully, but seemed unphased. I ended up leaving my information for the woman and thanking her again for being so hospitable.

IMG_20161127_115038.jpg

20161127_115355.jpg

Hubby and Sierra.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) good to see the pictures. Glad you had an uneventful outing this time around! How long are the trails? Are there more than one or is it just a continual loop? It looks like someone does upkeep on it.

There is a state park a few miles from here that I have always wanted to go to. The trails are along a river and they welcome riders and drivers. Hopefully next year I can do more.

My husband has been thinking about driving Cappy, but I think he may be too big. Does anyone remember the way to calculate how much they can safely pull? If I remember correctly it is their weight plus a certain amount and I forget what the "certain amount" part of the calculation is.

I think it would depend alot on the terrain and how far one went. I had a 275# guy drive DD one time. He had to work rather hard and they didn't go far. But he's carried myself and another adult quite often and I never noticed that it caused him much trouble. DD is 32.5" and weighs about 250#.

I think when it comes to pulling heavy loads balance and draft is at least as important as total weight. We have to adjust the cart when my hubby drives and he has to make sure he doesn't lean to far forward or back. At 260# he can lift Clementine right off her feet. Imagine if he got that weight behind the cart lifting those shafts up, she'd do a "hi-ho Silver" without meaning to. This is why something like the Graham Hyper Bike or a racing sulky is so great. It's light weight AND it has better balance. Win-win!

I wish I had some trail areas like that to drive Clem on. Around here it's kind of the roads or nothing. Luckily we do have a lot of back roads. There are trails for riding horses but they are mountain trails and you'd never get a cart up one. I'd like to take Clem and her cart down to the southern part of the state one winter and drive her out there. Lots of desert trails that would accommodate us.

Cappy is 32 inches and hubby is about 270. Cap is the stronger of my two mini's even though he's the smaller one, at one time he was used as a logging/pulling mini. I would have to pay attention to balancing the cart, I always forget about that part of the equation even though I know it's important!

So it might just be doable, or maybe not, lol. It might be worth a try, though. He would not be going fast/far, just around our back pasture area. But I don't (and he does not) want to chance pushing the little guy beyond his capacity.

I was taking photos today of the boys in their Santa hats and all the sudden noticed that Dapper Dan's stifle was out again. Poor guy! This happens about once a year. He starts frolicking around with Rowdy like a colt and gets into trouble. 6 weeks of stall rest for him. So, no parade for him next weekend. Not sure I can have Rowdy ready by then, but I will work on it.

6 weeks of stall rest has always worked, so that's what we do. And he hates it.

Bummer about that stifle. Can't blame him for hating stall rest. That would be like being confined to the house.... I shudder to think.... Hopefully you can get Rowdy ready. What a great experience for him if he's up to it.

Bummer about that stifle. Can't blame him for hating stall rest. That would be like being confined to the house.... I shudder to think.... Hopefully you can get Rowdy ready. What a great experience for him if he's up to it.
It will take DD about a week to resign himself. Then he will settle down. 6 weeks sounds like forever, but I'm always surprised how fast it goes. He is also due for his adequan injection; maybe that will help make him more comfortable, too.

I did take Rowdy to a parade in the spring and he made it, but it wasn't totally successful. And this one is at night, so not sure. Luckily, it is a small town parade. I will see how things go. Haven't been able to work with him as much as I should, due to holiday stuff. Weather has been perfect for driving, too. Parade is not till the 11th, so we'll see...

Sorry to hear about DD. Poor little dude.

What is the Adequan dose for a mini? I have used it only on one horse and that was a big horse.

I have a pony that we are considering using it on but my one experience with it was mediocre at best, so I'm hesitant.

Sorry to hear about DD. Poor little dude.

What is the Adequan dose for a mini? I have used it only on one horse and that was a big horse.

I have a pony that we are considering using it on but my one experience with it was mediocre at best, so I'm hesitant.
1.7 mm is the dose. The supplier figured out the dosage for my vet. A package of it lasts a year. DD gets a dose about every 4-6 weeks. It has worked amazingly on him. Xrays showed he had arthritis and bone spurs. With the adequan, he does great. If I am going to drive him for quite a ways, I give him banamine first, per vet instructions. I can usually tell when he is due for an injection as his eyes get a sort of inward look--maybe you know what I mean. When he feels good, his eyes are different than when he hurts. The vet said it would not hurt at all to continue to drive him.

Thank you Marsha! That is a big help. I know what you mean about that "inward look" it's easy to spot if you know your horse. My welsh pony is getting a bit stiff now and then and the vet suggested the adequan. With him we are having a hard time finding what exactly is bugging him. He IS alot better with shoes, that we know for sure. I think it's just a little bit of arthritis here and there. He flexes ok for the vet and she does not "see much" but I see it. His feet x-rayed fine. The vet is afraid that she could x-ray him all over and not find the spot as it's subtle. I put him on a HA and it helps. He tore around the pasture today and raised all kinds of heck, so he's not too bad off lol.

I think you have a good vet, the exercise is probably good for DD.

Hope he is better today.

I took Rowdy out to do our circles. After circles, I put the sleigh bells on him and we did more circles. Then we went around the other pasture areas. The sleigh bells seem to be a non-event for him. They are pretty noisy at the trot! But he is still resistant to pressure, though he transitions well and we have a good stand. Not sure about doing the parade with him. If I had a horse person with me I might be more inclined.

Can your sister go with you?

I like the new picture, is that DD?
No, the avatar is Rowdy. Horses with black faces are hard to "read"; I would prefer if he had a star or snip. Attached photo is DD.

I think my sister will go with me to the parade. So maybe I will take that black-faced imp after all. It will be good exposure for him. But I do need a horse person; a non-horse person is worthless.

While chatting with DD as he is confined, I am so shocked at all the gray on his head. It makes me sad. I don't really consider 19 all that terribly old for a horse.

DD santa.jpg

Latest posts

Back