Young mare - open - question - baggin up?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
I have a young mare, aged three. I noticed a month or so ago when she was "in", she seemed to have a small bag. I checked her and got a "sticky substance" from her. She was with the stallion only a short time the month prior but it was a such a "fight" between them, we pulled her out of his paddock. Unless she was bred while we were getting a halter for her, she is not bred. Her bag dimished some this past month.

Yesterday I noticed two different weanlings nursing from her, (poor thing) so went immediately to get her halter and get out of the pasture with the mares/babies. Today she is "in". She was bred today, but of course do not know if she is settled. She has the same "sticky substance" she has last month and a nice full bag.

I will call the vet next of course, or shortly after I hear what you may have experienced, but wondered if any of you have any idea what this is? Or might be? Causing it?

Thank you!

Beth

We have one mare who gets a bit of a bag in the summer from grazing on rich grass. You can express quite a lot of fluid from it. I don't know if this is the same thing as what your mare has, as my girl has this bag throughout the summer, it doesn't seem to change with her heat cycles. Your's might be totally unrelated to grass, but it may be a possibility. I'm sure others will have more ideas.
default_smile.png

Thank you,

I have noticed on some proven mares a small bag and in some cases even fluid from them either bred or open. I had just not ever noticed it on a maiden mare. I have not thought about grass as a contributor tho.

B

While I have several broodmares who will carry some fluids, I have never had an unbred maiden do this.

Are you SURE she is open?

Sticky substance, fighting a stallion while "showing", others nursing.....all sounds like I'd be checking her for pregnancy.

Hi Bess,

Hope you are right! But this is her second heat after her first "encounter" with the stallion?

Time to check I think. Would be great if she were already bred, that would put her due date up well over one month.

Thanks!

Beth

Latest posts

Back