You be the judge for me,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonya, i was just bringing myself up to date on this thread and thinking exactly the same thing; He needs to be moved to a different class. There is no way he's going to get anything more out of this teacher's class now. In fact he probably hasn't been getting much real 'teaching' from this teacher at all. It looks like he has already surpassed her and needs a teacher who has more knowledge anyway. (Moving classes is a subtle way of 'firing' the teacher, basically you are telling her she isn't good enough to teach this student.)

I'm actually surprised that the teacher came forth and admitted it. Most wouldn't. You probably won't get anywhere at the school level and may need to go to the Co. School board. I would definitely write a letter to the Superintendent and forward copies the the Principal, Vice Principal, The Teacher in question and possibly even the local paper.

There are so many wonderful teachers out there and so many lousy ones too. Good luck. Kids have enough to deal with these days. Corrupt teachers are one thing they should not have to contend with.

Does your school allow students to challenge a course by taking a test to demonstrate mastery of the class material? If not, I hope the school board will be approached about that possibility in the near future.

Whether or not you are able to move your son to a different class, is it possible for you to request another meeting with the principal, the teacher, your son, and you all present in order to formulate a contract for your son's classwork? If all parties agree to, and sign, the contract, then that contract should be used in lieu of regular classwork. Even if your son is moved to a different class, this would be a great way to approach the new teacher, since you'd all be working for the success of the student. This type of contract often requires weekly short conferences with the teacher, and it could include teaching other students as well as many other pieces. "Gifted" students especially need to be challenged in ways that motivate them to keep learning in positive ways; otherwise they will use their brainpower for attention-getting. However, "gifted" students shouldn't have to do "more" than other students; they should have different assignments altogether, because their needs are different.

I'm not an expert, but I'm a retired teacher who used to research activities that would meet the needs of "gifted" students so they didn't have to be bored during daily lessons they had already mastered (day after day after day). The contracts worked well but often needed revision when the students discovered an especially strong interest in one facet of the project; that was always a rewarding experience for me, because it meant that the projects were meaningful to the students.

Hope this can help you in some way!

Just got back from the school. I think everyone sleeping on it helped.

First, the teacher had to admit to it, kind of. So students can't mess up others work, as that does happen, only 2 people have the password to my sons computer, him and the teacher. I don't know if she didn't think to blame him, or just didn't go there.

Switching classes is not an option, he is in the highest level class, and she is the only teacher.

So we all met and the meeting started with an appology from the teacher, unlike yesterday I believe it was sincere, and she spoke directly to my son. The appology was for getting rid of his work, giving him the F, and for not teaching him. She made the comment that having students such as him should make her a better teacher by learning as well as teaching and she was not taking advantage of that. Asked if they could be a team and work together for both of them to have more productive class room time. She also told him she appreciated his talent but explained why he needed to work within the guidelines and rules set forth by the school. Finished that with, if you ever see me not following those guidelines, please feel free to remind me.

His F was taken away and will be given the actual grade once she looks at it. I should have that by end of school today.

His computer priveledges have still been limited and will be for the remainder of this grading period. He still has to put in time in the Jr. High classes.

He is still being punished here at home for breaking into the computer, no different than breaking into a classroom.

I am not 100% satisfied, but, enough was said and done that I am not going to hang onto it,,,it can be over.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments.

Alright, I for one am rethinking my estimation of that teacher. Good for her to come forward and admit her part in it all and apologize. It may just turn out to be the best thing that ever happens to your son while he attends hi school. Now he has an excellent example of how to accept your own mistakes and work forward. Hooray for this teacher! Hooray for your son too.

I would do the same thing as you have as far as punishment at home, he responded badly and could have tried (hopefully will if something comes up in future) several other avenues first.

I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

It actually dont suprise me they didnt do anything to the teach.

When I was a senior I got suspended and almost expelled from school because of something another student did. I beg and pleded that I didnt do it, and luckly had one teacher to back me up. The other that got me in trouble never said sorr;y or anything. She left the admin system open when she left school and a girl took advantage of it. It so happened we had the same first name.

they never did understand my point of why I would would 10th grade test when I was in 12 grade. Mind you the other girl was in 10th.

I do would be getting him in to college. Alot of schools help pay for that. Maybe check with that.

Carolyn, It sounds like the teacher was "spoken to" and some things were pointed out to her......... and/or she came to some sense by sleeping on it.....as you said.
default_smile.png
Either way, it seems that things are much more balanced than they were.

I sure hope the school takes care of their computer security problem, though! Perhaps your son could point out some things to them in regard to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back